Sts Remote Mount Turbo Kit - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Sts Remote Mount Turbo Kit

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Blowers and Bottles
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 10:49 PM   #1

Sts Remote Mount Turbo Kit

just installed sts lt1 kit on a customers 97 camaro today un believable 130 hp at wheels with out ecm change just bolts on took less than 6 hours and that was only at 5psi just imagine the 8psi tommorow and methanol injection ..my real question .... has anyone used one of the sts universal kits on a 4.3 or 2.2 ??? do you think there is a market for a sts s10 kit ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #2
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

User is: OffLine
Re: Sts Remote Mount Turbo Kit

Quote: Originally Posted by cwbpartsguy
...do you think there is a market for a sts s10 kit ??
Without a doubt!

Ive seen one STS kit on a Camaro, they are just sick, although driving in the wet might prove tricky, without a little Modification.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
WARNING: Bad Habits

Are you kidding? Did you see some of the videos they had of their kits on vehicles? That 5.3L Zr71 Silverado video in the tunnel was sick. Turbo squeal and raw V8 power sound awesome.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
I'm a huge ass

post some links to the vids
Old 02-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
///Idaho

I had read about the sts kits in truckin and after looking at them i could see that a kit for an s10 would not be that hard to fabricate. So i called sts because there based in utah and im in idaho and they said they are looking into designing a kit for the 4.3 but don't know when it will happen and theres a chance they might send me a universal kit and let me and the local speed shop who does a lot of fabricating see what we can do and then take it down to them. I'll let you know when i hear from them next though.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
Vortech power not Vtec!

I thought those STS turbos were a joke? any videos?
Old 02-16-2005, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by liftmys10
http://www.ststurbo.com/testimonials
Old 02-16-2005, 06:39 PM   #8

I have been talking to a dealer for STS from Dallas. Although they do not make a kit for our 4.3 trucks, he said he could do a one off. I would have to leave the truck with him for a week. He would build the kit using a Garrett GT-35/55 turbo Tial wastegate, oil pump. all steel braided lines, pressure check valve, pvc check valve and fully tuned.

I will probably be taking my truck down the last week of March. You can look at the site fopr more info.

trtturbo.com
Old 02-16-2005, 09:53 PM   #9

Im the indiana dealer for sts and trust me no joke, one of the most dramatic change in power so far was a 04 ss silverado with 6.0 that we did last month nothing like being stuck in the leather from 1500 to redline all wheel drive puttin over 500 to ground just amazing i finished a lt1 car today its heading out to get dyno tuned should be around 475-500 at 7 psi with methanol i have relayed the information many times in the interest of a s10 kit and knowing the underbody of a s10 the kit would actually be rather simple to fab .
Old 02-16-2005, 11:17 PM   #10

That is what Billy from Texas said also. He even has a guy that does the programming and tuning. I believe this will end up making a lot of horsepower even at only 7 - 10 lbs of boost.

I'm am going to try to get to Dallas in the next week or so to drive an 04 Silverado with one installed. Drove a stock one today so I would have a baseline.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:30 PM   #11
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Good stuff,

Last edited by 1fast4by; 02-16-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:49 PM   #12

Hey, looks sweet. I'm looking forward to getting mine done.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:30 AM   #13
I love boost!

What would that be like on a lowered vehicle? I'd be scared of it getting torn off if you went over some big bump, or really bad road.
Also, if they did make one for our trucks, how would you address the fuel delivery problem, esspecially with the '96 up 4.3s?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:43 AM   #14
No more switches

long intake tube=mucho boost spike and not constant boost readings.

getting that power out of a v8 can be done with any turbo or s/c.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:54 AM   #15

I love the way that pipe is routed on the F body. Nice and close to the exhaust. Also, the first time some idiot making minimum wage at the tire store lifts the car without paying attention, it's going to be crushed flat.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:04 PM   #16
Vortech power not Vtec!

I cant believe no one is complaining about lag. Im starting not to believe the testimonials on the STS website.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #17
**** you

Dude they are.. They make big numbers on the dyno, But lag is terrible. I personally witnessed a ls1 camaro running this setup run low 13's all day. my friend's dad hit 12.9 bone stock, wiht a pro 5.0 shifter. I might be able to post some vids. I think i recorded a couple of his runs.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #18

I cant believe no one is complaining about lag. Im starting not to believe the testimonials on the STS website.
super small turbine with an aggressive A/R ratio, means low lag. But its got to be killing them on efficiency and top end power.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:22 PM   #19

okay ar rating of.81 on lti kit with base turbo means very low lag id copare it to the same as evo lancer horespower dose decreas slightly at top side of rpm range but there is still a huge gain at 5000-5500 rpms .the piping volume is actually less than most aftermarket intercoolers and since ther is less than than three foot of exhast pipe after turbo "no backpressure"therefore it will spool much quicker than a engine mount that still has backpressure of cat and muffler id like to see videos of a "bone stock" ls1 vcar running 12.9s with no spray
Old 02-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #20

Thanks cwbpartsguy for the info. I know one person that has the STS on his late model full size (5.3L) and it runs real well. It doesn't really have that much lag.
Of course there are ways to eliminate the lag.........Back in the mid 70's we were building turbocharged 750cc four cylinder Hondas (bikes not cars) with equipment from a company called Mr. Turbo. It was something new at the time and we couldn't figure out how to make more than a couple of pounds of boost in first gear. We ran water injection so we could run high boost (30lbs), but someone came into the shop with nitrous and said here try this to spool the turbo!!!!!!!!!!!! Long story short, it actually worked(with some side benefits). Once the boost reached 6 lbs or so the nitrous was cut off with a pressure switch.

Of course back then I was young, stupid, and had no responsibilities so money wasn't an issue! Oh, the good ole days!
Old 02-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #21

Does the long intake tube ack like an air/air intercooler?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #22
Got spray? Got boost? (y)

Stock LS-1 cars can go high 12's all day with gear tire and torque converter. Some do it off the show room floor with a good driver. Bottom line there still has not been a STS car to beat a cam only 98+ F-body. I would rather do bolt ons and a cam and go 10's with a good 60ft time. Cam only record stands at 10.43@130, where is the closest STS car???
Old 02-18-2005, 05:45 PM   #23

IMO putting turbos on a domestic car is insane. What makes f body cars so fun is the bottom end torque. Torque that you don't get with a turbo. My dad threw a procharger on his 97 lt1 and got about 400 hp and 400 ft lbs at the rear wheels with no other mods. The power is right there as soon as you step on it. It's so fun to drive. However, if you like turbos the sts kit is great. It seems to solve a lot of the problems that are usually associated with turbos. STS kits haven't been around long enough for people to make 10 second cars out of them. Getting an f body in the 10s is all about traction. It takes some serious mods to get enough traction to run 10's. I def believe that the sts kit makes enough power to run 10's just wait to find out.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:34 AM   #24

took lt1 for test drive on 5lbs boost today definatly needs some drag radials you have to ease into the throttle and as soon as soon as full boost hits your spinning on stock tires and theres no hooking thru 2nd until oyu let up on it . and the turdo did not take anything away form the stock low end torque normally associated with the v-8 f bodys i couldnt imagine 8lbs or more as soon as this thing gets dyno time ill have numbers posted
Old 02-19-2005, 09:58 AM   #25
Getting faster

Quote: Originally Posted by Exporter
IMO putting turbos on a domestic car is insane. What makes f body cars so fun is the bottom end torque. Torque that you don't get with a turbo. My dad threw a procharger on his 97 lt1 and got about 400 hp and 400 ft lbs at the rear wheels with no other mods. The power is right there as soon as you step on it. It's so fun to drive. However, if you like turbos the sts kit is great. It seems to solve a lot of the problems that are usually associated with turbos. STS kits haven't been around long enough for people to make 10 second cars out of them. Getting an f body in the 10s is all about traction. It takes some serious mods to get enough traction to run 10's. I def believe that the sts kit makes enough power to run 10's just wait to find out.

A properly sized turbo will make a ton of tq. Not only Tq, but a ton in the midrange.

Compared to a centrifical supercharger, even at the same Hp ratings, a turbo car should walk away from a supercharged car from the better midrange.

You've got the full boost in the midrange with a turbo, say 10 psi, unlike a centrifical, only having peak psi at redline.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #26
Strictly Domestic

I Have Heard Some Bad Things About Them. My Buddy Was Talking To A Guy At The Local Track That Out One On And He Said There Are Some Down Falls To The Kit.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #27
Pressurized 2.2 Member

Eww these things are back again. Look at the filter by the tire theres a huge water issue. A puddle and the turbo is crap just by being submerged. The tubing is where the body lifting points are for jacks theres a mistake waiting to happen. And what about the extra oil pump that sob fails and your a tractor. And the time claims are amusing to the fact that stockers are FASTER that those.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:53 AM   #28

the turbo lag is very slim on the lt1's. and in a truck if your worried about the water issue then rerun the intake into your bed.

and the long intake tube may cool the pipes off but not enought... some of the kits come with a inline inter cooler i know the 03-05 hemi kit does
Old 02-28-2005, 09:06 PM   #29

Well everyone. I drove a 2003 swb Chevy pickup this weekend with the 5.3 and the turbo package, the guy also had a non-turbo truck there for comparison. I'm telling you there is no comparrison. The turbo truck had headers and the rear mount turbo and it was very fast with very little turbo lag.

The truck had very good street manners and when you hit the throttle the turbo spooled quickly.

I'm getting one on my Sonoma. I have an appointment to drop it off the second week of april.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:45 AM   #30
always 1 step ahead!!

IMHO -- this is the worse Idea I hav ever seen in my life.. so you have 15"+ of exhaust before it reaches the turbo. This is almost as queer as the blower motor for a electric turbocharger

Part of what spools a turbo quickly is the airflow and the heat. the heat has just as much to do with the spool time as airflow because it keeps the velocity higher. with this system the EGT's will be very low by the time it reaches the turbo. for example EGT's on my car will reach 1,550* in the manifold; do you think this will keep anywhere near that close to the turbo..

.81 a/r on the turbine is no where near big enough for a 5.7L engine. on my 2.0L I use a t4 .58 a/r and have seen many people use the .81 a/r. that motor really needs something closer to 1.00 or bigger to get the airflow capabilities where it should be to produce good power. The only reason that tiny exhaust housing is on there is to mask the lag problem.

you have 15'+ of intercooler piping with no intercooler. also ='s tons of lag. uneven boost curve and spiking. just because the piping is that long is no excuse to not have a intercooler.

there was a local company Quarter mile performance who made single and dual turbo kits for F-bodys. one of his shop cars was a LS1 firebird with 160,000 miles on it when the turbo was installed. he made 786whp with his kit on a bone stock block and never hurt the motor. That is what makes the difference between this garbage and a good kit.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:31 AM   #31

thers a ls1 in town with a sts set up on it its in the 11S but cant get tracton for shit from a roll that think is nasty
Old 03-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #32

could you do this to a s10 like maybe take the muffer off and put a turbo rite behinf the cat ??? i seen were a guy put one on a cavalier and and ran like 8 psi on it

to me it would be eazyer to do it this way

just on the pipe that goes to the intake wrap it in that heat wrap to keep heat from the pipe

on the oil and water use a pump in the back to keep the flow going you could even run the pipe up in the bed to keep the turbo safe
Old 03-02-2005, 06:21 PM   #33

I guess by the end of April I will know how it will work on my Sonoma!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:23 PM   #34

as we speak now i am getting info on doing this to my truck... i will run a garret t3/t4 60-1

summit has 2.5" piping 5, 4' peice for $100. get a bender and use the exhaust and get a waste gate and bov and i will be in...
Old 03-03-2005, 10:51 PM   #35
Quad-Turbocharged Blazer

Quote: Originally Posted by toslow4u
as we speak now i am getting info on doing this to my truck... i will run a garret t3/t4 60-1

summit has 2.5" piping 5, 4' peice for $100. get a bender and use the exhaust and get a waste gate and bov and i will be in...
Good choice of a turbo. I was going to use that one too. Good luck and keep us up to date.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:24 AM   #36

just trying to find out right now a way to tune it
Old 03-04-2005, 12:25 AM   #37
Quad-Turbocharged Blazer

tunercat obd-2 tuner.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:28 AM   #38

where can i find this??? talk to me on aim gizm02004
Old 03-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #39

toslow4u or nystateofmind27.......What is the difference between the turbo toslow4u is using and the Garrett GT-35/55?
Old 03-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #40

i agree with most here i dont like the kits either. what about the turbo being hot and getting cooled by water or some kind of puddle. your asking for housing cracks. a turbo was built to be concealed under the hood. they are not made to be in the open and taking all the weathering and abuse the under carriage of a cars indears. dirt is also a major issue for me. i would not want the turbo kit i just spent thousands on looking like the under carriage of my truck.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:51 PM   #41

that is true, im putting a airesearch .60 t3 on my truck i have everything besides the oil line and pipe. im going to put it where my cat is and then im going to move the cat a few ft back, but to solve the issue with the h20 and dirt and such, im going to put a splash guard on it, im using a guard from the gas tank (off of my friends, he dosent want it). im going to make it so the front sides and front is closed. the back will still be open, then foor cooling in going to run oil lines, and put some pc fans in the case. thats the theory of course. also i would advise for cheap parts you can do like i did. im still going to the local career center, but if you go there and talk to a metal working or precision machining class and go there with a cut out of flanges, theyll make em and even weld on some pipe so you dont have to worry about warping the pipe. just tell them there exaust flanges, not turbo flanges. then get the silicone couplers and pipe, work them in to where you need them, cut and weld the exaust, run oil lines, im running mine from the oil cooler lines, but with a second pump and filter, make sure to add oil to the lines before the first start. im running my second pump on electricity, so that i can turn the key on and the pump will start then i can crank the truck. also im hoping it will get some oil going through the engine to prevent a dry start. then wire the gauges, program the pcm, start and watch for stoich, if you go either way shut it off and come to the site for help, if your driving anywhere and the oil pressure or boost or a f ratios go crazy through it in neutral and shut off the engine. we dont want any blown pistons. thats what im planning on doing with mine, it hasent been done yet but it will be soon, so many people are asking how can i do it to my truck and i know alot of people are trying to figure out the sts s10 turbo, and alot have prabably read these posts, sorry if it was long but i wanted to answer as many qs as possible.
dan
Old 03-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #42

how about that turbo being inches from ur gas tank??? The only reason that turbo doesn't need an intercooler is cause it takes a half hour to reach the intake and disperses its heat by the time it gets there, also the turbo lag has to be ridiculous with 15ft of piping, Also u really want the turbo to be picking up air from inches off the ground even with the outerwears on there its gotta require constant cleaning especially on our lowered trucks. I guess its jus another way to make power cause those LS1 engine bays are so tight.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #43

Quote: Originally Posted by toslow4u

check out ebay they have a lot of universal turbo pipe kits

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33742
Old 03-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #44

I would like to say this about the sts kit, it is apparent that the people raving about the sts kit have little or no experience with turbo cars.This is the most inefficient, ass backwards use of a turbo I have ever seen.From a performance standpoint, there is not 1 good aspect of a remote turbo when compared to a conventional engine mount.This is just a way for a guy with limited funds or knowledge to say he has a turbo car, its pretty much a joke among the forced induction community.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #45

Quote: Originally Posted by SSSonoma
I guess by the end of April I will know how it will work on my Sonoma!

im excited to hear results

one question for the STS dealer, do you have any exhaust back pressure readings before the turbo? #'s from the LT1 car would be fine

on the S10 where are you guys planning on running the boost pipe from under the truck to under the hood?
Old 03-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #46

Quote: Originally Posted by vtec187
its pretty much a joke among the forced induction community.
Obviously, you haven't been here http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9 There's lots of guys running STS on F body's and Trucks like mine. One guy has one on a mildly built 01 Z-71 Xcab running low 12's. That's quick for a full size 4X4 truck!!

I don't know why there is so many haters of this system. I have both types of setups running about 6lbs of boost. Both are non-intercooled. One is a 91 S-10 with a front mount I custom built and also a 01 GMC 4.8 X-cab 4X4 with a STS kit, so I can speak from ACTUALLY experience, NOT just, oh I think... crap

As far as lag, they both have some lag, that's just a turbo thing. Once they get warmed up most of that goes away. It does take a little longer for the STS to get warm, but not much. Off the line the STS has a little more lag only because it is an automatic and has a stock stall. The S-10 is a 5 speed. With a 3000 stall, there would be virtually no lag. From a roll, by the time the trans downs shifts to 1st, I have FULL boost and am smoking the tires. Same with grabbing 1st in the S-10. On the highway, Is where both setups REALLY perform. Step on the gas, and instant boost.

I LOVE my STS, it took me 6 hours to install and get running, with no instruction, as I bought the kit used. The front mount took me about 4 full days to build and install.

Any one that has any question, please ask away. I am always willing to share what I have learned.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #47

You have just proven my point for me seeing how in your sig it says the 91 is a 2.8 5 speed with 180,000 miles and the sts is on a 01 gmx x cab and your saying they're comparable.lol I will bet any amount of money that if we took identical cars, trucks whatever, u use the sts junk, and I build a real turbo car I'll blow your doors off.I'm not trying to be a dick but only a fool would say the 2 were comparable.

Last edited by vtec187; 03-13-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:34 AM   #48

Quote: Originally Posted by vtec187
You have just proven my point for me seeing how in your sig it says the 91 is a 2.8 5 speed with 180,000 miles and the sts is on a 01 gmx x cab and your saying they're comparable.lol I will bet any amount of money that if we took identical cars, trucks whatever, u use the sts junk, and I build a real turbo car I'll blow your doors off.I'm not trying to be a dick but only a fool would say the 2 were comparable.
I'm not going to argue with you. You are obviously a hater and have given no proof to back your statements that they don't work and are "garbage". What do you have sitting in your drive way??? My guess is you have never even seen one of these setups in person, let alone ridden or driven one. There are plenty of people who said it wouldn't work, it won't make good dyno number, but it has. Then they say it won't perform at the track, and it does. They said it would have horrible lag, and it doesn't. Mine spools much faster then any turbo diesel truck I have driven and they are engine mounted. The high horsepower turbos I have been around have horrible lag from a standing start without brake stalling them, because the turbo is so big to support the big airflow required to make big horsepower at high RPM. With ANY turbo, you have to size and build the setup for the intended purpose. STS does a pretty good job of that. Yes, I will agree that it is not 100% efficient. No engine is. A gasoline engine only runs at something like 48% of the available energy in gasoline, it that great efficiency?? And I will even agree that they aren't as efficient as front mounts, but there isn't much less performance from them. The bonuses is that they are easy to install, improve performance and engine efficiency. It is also easily removed.

Your just a hater of the system and I can't change that. I don't even want to try. Your mine it closed to the concept. Its an out side the box concept that you don't like, that ok, it your opinion. All I know is there is several hundred of these kits running around out there and there selling them at the rate of about 50 units a month. Not to bad I think. I have not heard on ONE person that bought one and said it was a total piece of junk and they wished they had never bought it and wasted there money. Everyone I have talked to that has one LOVES them and thinks they work just great for what they are.

That's my statement from my STS experience. Take it for what you will, but I'm done arguing the good or bad of it. Anyone who wants to talk about how to do this, and even improve it, please fell free to chime in. (And don't just say put the damn thing up front, cuz that the way it suppose to be!!!)
Old 03-14-2005, 12:45 AM   #49

with these kits, couldnt you just mount the turbo in the bed? I mean, it would be safe there..
Old 03-14-2005, 01:01 AM   #50

I don't think that is necessary. I like my bed for hauling things. The turbo tucks nicely in-between the frame rails and up high near the bed. A little road grime isn't going to hurt it. It really can't get tire splash where it is unless you drive though 10" of water at 30 mph. Who would be dumb enough to do that??? You would have to be in water up to almost the top of the wheels get it high enough to suck it in the turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.