Rear mount turbo sizing - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Rear mount turbo sizing

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Blowers and Bottles
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Heavy Metal Body Man

User is: OffLine
Rear mount turbo sizing

been playing with the idea of forced induction since i started building the truck, for a while i decided on supercharging, but its turning out to be more money than i want to spend at the moment, but not just that, i want a clean minimalist engine bay with no clutter, so supercharging is out.

so i started reading about you guys that are running rear mounted turbo(s) with success and started looking into what it would take, and i was surprised to see how affordable turbos are... and the whoosh sound is just too badass to pass up. i ran the idea by my boss and he said that it sorta defeats the purpose of a turbo, too far from the engine and the turbo doesnt work as well, thermal expansion blah blah... but i see a few of you guys with them and you seem to be really happy with them

the engine is a 383 and its a street driven truck, so i want minimal lag

so what size do i need, and should i run single or twin?

Last edited by Maverick2664; 06-04-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 AM   #2

Re: Rear mount turbo sizing

Call up these guys for advise. I wouldn't buy the turbo's from STS because their turbo prices are seriously inflated.

http://www.blouchturbo.com/ and http://www.ststurbo.com/home
Old 06-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #3

I can speak from experiance, My 6.0L S10 uses twin rear mount To4b's, they spool very quickly, and the engine bay space is amazing! Look at the thread in this section called "My 6.0L Twin Turbo Project" Lots of pics and info on there!!
Old 06-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Heavy Metal Body Man

Quote: Originally Posted by LS1DIME
I can speak from experiance, My 6.0L S10 uses twin rear mount To4b's, they spool very quickly, and the engine bay space is amazing! Look at the thread in this section called "My 6.0L Twin Turbo Project" Lots of pics and info on there!!
i seen your thread, its one of the trucks that makes me want to run a rear mount setup
Old 06-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

Well thanks you, but try not to copy it to much!!! j/k, if ya have any questions just hit me up and I will help however i can!!! Just dont rush things, you will be glad you waited and took your time when your all finished and driving the beast!!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Heavy Metal Body Man

as clean as your setup is, i wouldnt copy it, i still want the option to use the bed if i have to, so ill mount it under the bed and keep it hidden... and i plan to take my time with it, my truck has been a "project" for 4 years, meticulous planning is all i seem to do lol

those sites have a lot of good info on it, ill have to email them and see what they have to say

Last edited by Maverick2664; 06-05-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #7

As for sizing I can't help you on that, but there will be lag with the rearmount but any turbo is going to have lag, nice thing about rearmount is it keeps the underhood temps way down and you pull in colder air. Only thing to look out for is where you have your air filter mounted if you plan on driving this everyday. Mine is a daily and I made the mistake of leaving it under the truck and that cost me a motor. I sucked in too much water during a bad rain storm I was driving in and it hydrolocked it and bent a rod. Then a week later it threw it.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Heavy Metal Body Man

its definitely not going to be a daily, by the time im done ill have too much time and money to be anything but a weekend warrior... and ive thought up a way to have it up away from the ground
Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #9

Yea my setup has rendered my bed a eye candy storage unit!! But thats what I built the truck for! I took it to a large local show last weekend and boy I couldnt get to the back of it to get a water out of my cooler! The Best Mini Truck Award was nice too!!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Heavy Metal Body Man

so a number of sites seem to tell me that i need a pair of gt25/28 or gt30's or comparable sized turbo, they say they should be fully spooled by 2000-2500 and should easily give me the 10-12 psi i want through the entire rpm range

my only issue... is that those turbos dont use a v band style downpipe clamp, its a bolted flange of some sort, so i would have to fab a flanged pipe... but on the bright side, theyre internally wastegated, so itll save me some plumbing and space
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.