• 1 Post By LouieLos
  • 1 Post By LouieLos
  • 1 Post By LouieLos
  • 1 Post By LouieLos
  • 1 Post By 95v8sdime

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 07-23-2016, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Boosted 03 S10 4.3

Ok so I think it is time to finally start my own thread after a few months of trying to get my project rolling. So my story goes like this, I was planning on getting all of my parts together for a single turbo bone stock motor build and taking it nice and slow. But of course with any type of build something always has to happen. My motor snaps a rod and throws it through the block and pan, it gave no sign. It just happened. So now my old plans are out the door. I rush to get a new block it was a Syclone long block, I open it up and ALL of the main bearings are spun. $300 gone. So I pick up another block super clean already machined and perfect (1990 block) and I bought a custom grind boost cam (it's for sale) and some other stuff for the heads and I forgot about the crank sensor. I had all of my information in order I researched it all I read about all of the differences I just didn't think about sensor placement. So that was $300 out the door because I got lucky and sold the machines block and crank for $300. So now that the depressing stuff is out of the way. I finally bought a block that is worth a damn and it is at the machine shop now. This is a list of everything I plan on doing for my build.

Bored .30 over
.30 over forged low compression Pistons
ARP main studs, rod bolts, fly wheel bolts, head bolts, screw in rocker arm studs
Custom grind comp cam
Adjustable roller rocker arms
Comp beehive springs
Syclone exhaust manifolds
Garrett gt2860r
Marine intake 40lb injectors
Intercooler and bov boosted6 gave me
And I'm going to run Hp tuners for my software

I probably forgot some stuff but that's my basis for now. I'm excited to finally get this thing started. And a huge shout out to boosted6 for all of the information and parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Addicted to boost

Garage
Re: Boosted 03 S10 4.3

Great to see you start a thread Louie. Welcome to the world of boosted 4.3s. Some people just wont understand, but all of us with them can tell you that its a lot of fun.

Also I think I have some 42lb injectors for you if you haven't ordered those yet. I can't see ever needing less fuel in the future.

Make sure and post lots of pictures along the way.

2001 GMC Sonoma ZQ8 4.3 turbo w/ t56 6 speed
12.6 @ 119 with a 2.3 60' | 480 rwhp 529 rwtq (20 psi)

1991 GMC Sonoma 5.3 turbo
Build in progress...

Pics | Dyno Pull Video
post #3 of 29 Old 07-24-2016, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Yea I haven't bought them yet, I will defiantly be hitting you up about those. Once I get my block and stuff back from the machine shop I'll be taking a lot of pictures of the whole process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 29 Old 07-31-2016, 04:07 PM

Right on!! I have to get a misfire fixed on mine and get some miles on the motor before I put my Mach Performance kit on.

1997 SS---Built and Blown

My build thread... http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/pr...ecs-ss-513887/
post #5 of 29 Old 08-17-2016, 05:07 PM
PCMPOWERTUNES

If you need any help from me just email me
JIM

WWWW.PCMPOWERTUNES.COM
WWW.411PCM.COM
WWW.411SWAPKITS.COM
WWW.411SWAPKIT.COM

411 SWAP KITS , PARTS
PM ME FOR PRICES AND CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE

WYNJAMMER TUNES
post #6 of 29 Old 08-17-2016, 06:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ZekeBB

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread as I plan on boosting my 4.3 at some point. I'm always taking in as much information as i can to help my own goals.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-17-2016, 07:05 PM
PCMPOWERTUNES

Check in the boosted section im selling a one off jammer , my test model just been gone over
ZekeBB likes this.

WWWW.PCMPOWERTUNES.COM
WWW.411PCM.COM
WWW.411SWAPKITS.COM
WWW.411SWAPKIT.COM

411 SWAP KITS , PARTS
PM ME FOR PRICES AND CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE

WYNJAMMER TUNES
post #8 of 29 Old 08-17-2016, 07:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ZekeBB

I have definitely been looking to go that route as ease of installation is something I have in mind. Sadly I'm not able to afford it just yet. And I have other things to set straight before adding power. Brakes being the biggest concern.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-18-2016, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Ive been in Maui for two weeks I'm hoping my machine work is done or at least close to being done. I have been dreaming about driving my truck for months, it's been too long

post #10 of 29 Old 08-18-2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLBOY POWERHEAD View Post
If you need any help from me just email me

JIM

Thank you Jim I'll definitely take you up on that offer.

post #11 of 29 Old 09-05-2016, 03:08 PM

Why such a small turbo? My daily 13' Focus ST is getting a GTX2867r, and I'll probably have it maxed out on day one with a i4 2.0L.

'13 FST3 (Daily) ~ M-6903A-FST, MBRP 3" intake, Mountune FMIC & Short Shift Bracket, Magnaflow 3" down pipe, Ford Racing Springs, EZ Lip.....BT install soon.
'94 S10 (Toy) ~ See build in Blowers and Bottles Section.
'91 C1500 (Daily) ~ Stock.
post #12 of 29 Old 09-12-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopnDude View Post
Why such a small turbo? My daily 13' Focus ST is getting a GTX2867r, and I'll probably have it maxed out on day one with a i4 2.0L.

For right now to get my truck running and driving I'm just going to use this turbo, it's very small and I plan on moving way up in size but I got it for cheap and its brand new so it will do the job for now

post #13 of 29 Old 10-02-2016, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

I finally got all of my stuff back from the machine shop a couple of weeks ago. I have just been so out of it I haven't had an desire to work on anything. But I'm back and ready to get the ball rolling. So this is what I have as of now: my block is bored .30 over, decked and line honed, my new Mahle pistons have been hung on my rods, the ARP main studs and rod bolts have been put in, and my crank has been ground .10 under. I plan on getting the short block assembled this week. Then ordering more parts also. Here are some pics

Boosted6 likes this.
post #14 of 29 Old 10-02-2016, 07:06 AM
Old fart

Garage

Nice..looking forward to updates.
post #15 of 29 Old 10-16-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

I got a little more done today with the truck. I had made the bracket to hold my intercooler a week ago but I still had to cut out the sections for the piping to go through and make another brace. So I got that done today and it came out not to bad. Cutting out the sections was a pain in the ass because I couldn't get my cut off wheel in some of the spots and I had to use tin snips to get the rest but I'm happy with the results. I tried to keep the intercooler down a little so I would get more airflow to the condenser and radiator.

rentedmule and Boosted6 like this.
post #16 of 29 Old 11-15-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Slowly but surely it is finally coming together. I ended up getting my heads magnafluxed and blasted also my oil pan blasted. I tried cleaning them on my own but it was just too much of a mess to do. I scrubbed on them for 2 hours and didn't even get close to the results I got from the machine shop. Plus now I know they aren't cracked so I don't have to worry about that in the future. And with some black engine paint they came out really clean. I just ordered a new cam so that should be coming in soon. I'm so excited to start putting this thing together.

rentedmule likes this.
post #17 of 29 Old 11-21-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Got the block cleaned up for the last time, put the crank in and ground down all of the piston rings to spec. Going to get the pistons in today or tomorrow. Also I forgot to get my heads drilled and tapped for sbc rocker arm studs so now those are getting sent out this week. Another set back but I'm hoping to get this truck running by the end of the year. The damn thing blew up in April and I'm dying to drive it again.

post #18 of 29 Old 01-17-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

More progress has been done to the motor the last week or so. I finally got the pistons and rods in and everything looks beautiful. Also put in the balance shaft and camshaft and cleaned up all of the gears and bolted everything on. We have to degree the cam still and make sure that's ok. But we ran into a problem with the timing chain having a little more slop than we would like. When you line bore an engine it is common for this to happen so now I'm looking into getting a smaller chain to get rid of that slop. Supposably cloyes makes one but I'm still looking into it. It's been very slow progress but I'm happy it's at least happening!

rentedmule likes this.
post #19 of 29 Old 02-12-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

So last week I was able to get the cam degreed and I also got a new timing chain set this set is actually made for the vortec 4.3 by cloyes because of the slop in the oe style chain. It is also a lot beefier than the oe style chain. So it worked out great and the cam is all in for good. It's down assembling the heads and mocking everything up before the install. The heads have to be taken to a shop this week to get drilled and tapped for sbc rocker arm studs. I actually ordered all of the final parts I need to get this thing back in the truck. I bought a centerforce dual disk clutch, suprisingly it's the only performance clutch I could find for it. And last night I port matched my heads and they came out great. Also I don't think I mentioned it but I ended up selling the t-28 and got a t-3 61mm turbo by On3 Performance. It looks like a really solid unit in very happy with it.

Boosted6 likes this.
post #20 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

post #21 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 11:30 PM
Randall "Memphis" Raines

I found your build! what pistons did you go with?

Black 2003 Sonoma 4.3/2wd/4L60E/64K miles

K&N CAI/Magnaflow Exhaust (after exhaust manifolds)/CAT delete/ 1in throttle body spacer/Hypertech Programmer

post #22 of 29 Old 02-14-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0Sonoma View Post
I found your build! what pistons did you go with?

I do not remember the exact part number but I have it at the shop so I'll send that to you soon. But they are mahle forged pistons, the shop I used actually found them for me and he said it's a popular piston for sy/ty guys. They are .30 over and they are a lower compression piston also. They are really nice and coated, I'll look around to see if I can find the exact part number for you.

post #23 of 29 Old 02-15-2017, 12:31 AM
Randall "Memphis" Raines

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieLos View Post
I do not remember the exact part number but I have it at the shop so I'll send that to you soon. But they are mahle forged pistons, the shop I used actually found them for me and he said it's a popular piston for sy/ty guys. They are .30 over and they are a lower compression piston also. They are really nice and coated, I'll look around to see if I can find the exact part number for you.

Awesome. I'm still deciding but I'm not sure i want to drop compression. Currently reading S106banger's build thread. Feeding off everyones information

K&N CAI/Magnaflow Exhaust (after exhaust manifolds)/CAT delete/ 1in throttle body spacer/Hypertech Programmer

post #24 of 29 Old 02-15-2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0Sonoma View Post
Awesome. I'm still deciding but I'm not sure i want to drop compression. Currently reading S106banger's build thread. Feeding off everyones information

Yea it's good to learn as much as possible. Boosted6 has 2 different build threads one is from awhile ago and the other is current. I have learned a lot from his threads and talking to him. He's a great guy and has proven that these little motors can take the abuse.

post #25 of 29 Old 02-15-2017, 12:42 AM
Randall "Memphis" Raines

well im currently reading the "no more wynjammer" one. its making my head spin with variables i never thought of. but its good stuff.

post #26 of 29 Old 03-12-2017, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Made good progress today, while I was working my grandpa and dad did a 3 angle valve job on the heads and measured all the tolerances for the springs. By the time I got to the shop it was time to assemble them so we got both heads pretty close to being fully assembled. Tomorrow I'm going to put the rest of the motor together and button it all up for the last time then start mocking up the turbo goods.

Boosted6 likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 03-18-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I have accepted the fact that this motor will give me hell until it's done. On Sunday I finished putting the heads together and we checked the piston-valve clearance and got the oil pan on along with the rear main. I also got my turbo drain fitting put in the oil pan. So a few days ago we put the heads back on the motor and got the rockers on and valves adjusted and I see light coming through the upper corner of where the head and block meet. Just my luck. So we had to pull everything off and apart and turns out some how the heads weren't perfectly square in those corners. So I had to take them to a machine shop yesterday to get resurfaced and luckily they got them done in a few hours. today I got to the shop and put the heads back together, got the valves adjusted and everything is perfect. So that one issue has set me back some but now I don't have to worry about it any more and it's time to move forward to the turbo finally. I just got done putting on the exhaust manifolds and turbo so I can measure and it looks so good.

rentedmule likes this.
post #28 of 29 Old 03-18-2017, 09:10 PM
layed_sdime

love where this build is going!!! i cant wait to see more, great work man!!!!!
LouieLos likes this.

59 chevy p/u step side all original-- back burner
98 chevy s10 sonoma front end, 327, t56, bagged on 20's--current build/future dd
05 gsxr 1k--the fast toy (SOLD)
08 range rover sport supercharged 22" strut wheels, lower 2"--family whip
97 honda civic,d2 coilovers,xxr wheels, b20 swapped--wifeys toy
09 hyuudai sonata lower 2.5", 18" xxr wheels, 2 p3 12" subs and old skool punch 1200 watt amp--wifeys daily
post #29 of 29 Old 03-18-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v8sdime View Post
love where this build is going!!! i cant wait to see more, great work man!!!!!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page