Best Supercharger for 4.3L - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Best Supercharger for 4.3L

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Blowers and Bottles
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
-=TruckputerX=-

User is: OffLine
Best Supercharger for 4.3L

Sup yaa,

What is the best in performance and reliability Supercharger for the 4.3L 262ci V6

Wynjammer, Eaton, Powerdyne or the Procharger.

Please post the Good and the Bad

Looking to get one soon for my S10 Xtreme 4.3L Vortec.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #2

Re: Best Supercharger for 4.3L

Quote: Originally Posted by XS10X
Sup yaa,

What is the best in performance and reliability Supercharger for the 4.3L 262ci V6

Wynjammer, Eaton, Powerdyne or the Procharger.

Please post the Good and the Bad

Looking to get one soon for my S10 Xtreme 4.3L Vortec.

vortec makes the best kit hands down. some like the procharger but procharger only makes the head unit, there is a shop up in MI which has monkey's fab them up to work on our trucks.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
The Anti-Hick

For performance, you won't find a better unit than the Procharger, but I don't know anything about their 4.3L specific kits....
Old 11-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by AAPPS
For performance, you won't find a better unit than the Procharger, but I don't know anything about their 4.3L specific kits....

yea they make good power when they aren't broken, most everyone i know always has problems with the seals leaking, not to mention procharger DOES NOT MAKE A KIT FOR US, mach performance makes the kit using a procharger head unit. and vortech makes a better supercharger then vortech, the only thing it is missing is an intercooler. but you really don't have to have one, i ran the vortech kit and was happy with it for a long time non intercooled.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
The Anti-Hick

Every blown car in our shootout uses the F1R and they hold up for a whole season. Being the only supercharger with billet internals, I would imagine they'd be more durable.

Perhaps street use is a seperate issue.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
Oh Snap!

I have a wynjammer, so far i have been really happy with it, i have a bone stock 94 s10 that was 127ish RWHP and afterwards i have been getting 175-180RWHP no to shabby for being only 4lbs of boost and a 160hp stop engine.

Over all the quality of the supercharger is pretty amazing, I feel that it does have a couple pretty innovative features and designs. As far as the whole cooler air from the supercharger thing i did some testing and i don't know how much another brand of supercharger would have heated up the air at 4-5lbs of boost but i noticed almost no change of air temp between the temp of the air coming into the filter and the air going into the engine the biggest difference in temps i noticed was 1 degree hotter after supercharger.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

I am trying to go the eaton route myself. I like the idea of lots of low end torque, and almost full boost all the way through the rpm range. The eaton units should be more reliable than the other head units also. Of course there is no eaton kit for us, and they make a lot of heat, so they will be lower on power in the upper rpm ranges compared to a centrifugal.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:40 PM   #8

procharger here, had it for over 3 years and no problems.

over 300 rwhp on stock internals
Old 12-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
-=TruckputerX=-

You have pics of the engine compartment WhyTryL35? Videos?

I'm in the market and want to see what give the best gains.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #10
Getting back to Boosting

This may be true, but know one hears runs the F1R on their s-10 and to get the potential of that blower you will need forged internals. The procharger kit uses the P-1SC which isn't even close to having billet internals or the potential of an F1R. I have experienced them both(procharger and vortech.)
While having the vortech kit since 00' I did have some quaility issues, but the kit was still fresh on the market, I also had terrible customer service. But once the blower was fixed it was great. The kit looks the best out of all offered too. The only problem I ran into was upgrading. Once I started to port heads and everything else the blower started to run out or breath.
The ATI has the better head unit of the two. So if you plan to upgrade further (like heads, bigger cam etc..) then go with the ATI and build your own kit. The intercooler helps out alot and the step up ratio on the blower is better than the vortech, which means you'll get to max boost faster with the P-1SC.
When I started to do upgrades I used meth injection which I loved better than any intercooler, but to each his own. I don't have experience with the wynjammer and too little experience to make comments about the powerdyne. I made north of 400 to the tires with my vortech. I just wished I could have just put a ATI in place of the vortech but kept the vortech kit.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by AAPPS
Every blown car in our shootout uses the F1R and they hold up for a whole season. Being the only supercharger with billet internals, I would imagine they'd be more durable.

Perhaps street use is a seperate issue.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #11
Xtreme Dreams..

I have a Wynjammer on my Blazer and it has been great, I used to have a powerdyne, but really like the simplicity of the Wynjammer. I know it doesn't come with a FMU, That is every bodies hangup on Wynjammer. But I haven't had any issue with it. Best part you can install a Wynjammer in about 2 hours. Their customer service is great. I lost a mounting Spacer and they shipped me out a replacement that day. For FREE!!!! It took 3 days for Powerdyne to Call me back when My FMU was acting up...
Old 12-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #12
The Anti-Hick

I believe all Prochargers have billet internals.... But I could be wrong.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
Working on aircraft

Get the Jammer, they also have excellent customer service.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #14
yes, that is a v6

i'm looking at the procharger catalog now, and the only things it mentions being billet on the P1sc are the impeller, serpetine pulley and bracket. says it has 9310 steel shafts and gears
Old 12-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #15
The other "BODY" man

I don't have a supercharger, although I want one,,

The one thing about the Vortec is, you get EVERYTHING with the kit and it doesn't void your factory warranty, if that applies to you,, also it was designed specifically for our 4.3.

I'm not sure on other types.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #16
I didn't build it for you

Quote: Originally Posted by fauker
I don't have a supercharger, although I want one,,

The one thing about the Vortec is, you get EVERYTHING with the kit and it doesn't void your factory warranty, if that applies to you,, also it was designed specifically for our 4.3.

I'm not sure on other types.
Depends on your year of dime. Nobody but Powerdyne makes a kit for an '03, and it too doesn't void your warranty.

To the original poster, the best S/C is the one that is in your budget. The P-dyne isn't so bad, but the Vortech and Procharger units have more potential for power. More so than I think is needed for a relatively (sp?) stock 4.3l.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #17
Static> Bags

http://s-seriesforum.com/gallery/vidios

Watch the Boosted Thrills 12.63@104 one, thats a 4.3L with a Powerdyne.

The motor is no were stock . The blower belt was slipping all day. no intercooler either.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #18
i've been blown captain!

ha....i bought jon's (xtreme43s10) vortech kit from him and it still runs great. I have had no problems with it. Intercooling it was very simple in my opinion and I would recommend it to anyone only staying with stock internals. Otherwise like jay (badaSS98) said, if you want to do cam and ported heads the S-trim doesn't produce enough cfm.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 PM   #19
Speed Guru

Quote: Originally Posted by xtreme43s10
mach performance.

Last edited by Insomnya3AM; 12-01-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #20
Oh Snap!

Another Vote for the Wynjammer, Granted mine is a TBI but nothing but rock solid reliability and great performance outta mine so far.., I am going to be pushing it up to either 6-8 lbs this winter so how it goes but right now on 4-5lbs of boost its been a amazing difference.

I have had alot of people local commenting about it, i had it up at summit racing getting parts a couple weeks back and had people who really know there superchargers saying it was a heck of a setup and with the cost it was unbeatable.

Now I was told it would have no problems pushing 10-13lbs of boost on a 4.3L easily so it getting to be pretty good competition for the big guys. And Al is a great guy to work with, not only does he help you out but is always willing to help and always ready to tell you what the next step is on building the motor up and where the line of reliability is.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:13 AM   #21
Getting back to Boosting

Yeah, push that thing.. I been wanting to see someone push the wyjammer to see the results..

jay

Quote: Originally Posted by brock1949
Another Vote for the Wynjammer, Granted mine is a TBI but nothing but rock solid reliability and great performance outta mine so far.., I am going to be pushing it up to either 6-8 lbs this winter so how it goes but right now on 4-5lbs of boost its been a amazing difference.

I have had alot of people local commenting about it, i had it up at summit racing getting parts a couple weeks back and had people who really know there superchargers saying it was a heck of a setup and with the cost it was unbeatable.

Now I was told it would have no problems pushing 10-13lbs of boost on a 4.3L easily so it getting to be pretty good competition for the big guys. And Al is a great guy to work with, not only does he help you out but is always willing to help and always ready to tell you what the next step is on building the motor up and where the line of reliability is.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #22
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!

I love how mach went from being Gods in the 4.3 community 2-3 years ago to a laughing stock.......
Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #23

I also have the Wynjammer S/C.

The "selling points" for me was, easy install, runs with stock motor and good price.

After a couple of weeks of installation the fins on the blower all sheered off from a bad bearing.

I called Al, he said to send it back (un-installing was 15 minutes or less!!),
Al repaired it, ran it for several days and made sure it was 100%, he sent it back and paid for shipping.
From what I understand, there was only 2 out of the 1,000's sold that went bad (very good record, IMO).

Bottom line, Wynjammer stands behind their products, you can speak personally to the owner and designer and he makes his product good "if" it goes bad.

Even with the defective S/C (always me!!!), I would still recommend it.

There are probably stronger S/C's out there, but none so easy to install and very little to keep it maintained

6 lbs. of pressure is not a "lot", but it sure beats stock!!
Not wanting to build the internals, this worked out great for me.
I am not going to have the fastest truck on the road, but it sure makes a difference over stock with the S/C, E-Fan, exhaust and a few other "bolt-on's"

If you are looking for more power, a company that stands behind his products and is accessable, very reasonable price, this is it
Old 12-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #24
I love boost!

I'm going to have to agree with Waynestowels. I also have a Wynjammer, and when I heard about a couple people having problems with theirs, i'll admit i was quite nervous. But it seems like the problem was isolated to only 2 units, and I've never had any problems with mine. It's a great unit, well backed with a 3 year warranty.
I'm also going to be upgrading mine but not for the 4.3. Since Wynjammer makes kits for the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0L V8s I'm going to probably swap my 4.3 for a 5.3 and just get the brackets and accesories to make the 'Jammer work on the V8! That way I can up the boost and actually swap to larger injectors.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #25
Static> Bags

Quote: Originally Posted by SummerWolf
I love how mach went from being Gods in the 4.3 community 2-3 years ago to a laughing stock.......

LOL,

We dont have problems with bill or collen.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:49 AM   #26
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8

I ran a very used vortech v1-s both non intercooled and intercooled between 9-11 psi for about 50,000 miles (!). I did have it rebuilt with new bearings, gears and seals but that only cost me $600. Considering how beat it was when I got it I cant complain about that. Including the kit and the rebuild I only spent $1400.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #27

I've had both Powerdyne and Wynjammer on my 03' so I can only speak of the the two. I guess it would depend on what is most important to you. I had more power with the 9psi Dyne but installation and belt slippage a small pain. The Jammer on the other hand super easy install, cool running but less boost. I'm sure ProCharger probably with intercooler even has more boost capabilities but also at a price. All boils down to what your needs, $$$$, are......
Old 12-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #28
stupid regular cab!!

just wondering how much u guys spent on your superchargers...im lookin into getting one...just not yet..just curious bout prices..
Old 12-10-2005, 12:51 PM   #29
Xtreme Dreams..

I paid $2537.00 + shipping for my Wynjammer
Old 12-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #30
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

Quote: Originally Posted by viCoDin
just wondering how much u guys spent on your superchargers...im lookin into getting one...just not yet..just curious bout prices..
$100 on my eaton $1000 on the fuel system and other thing to make it work. The custom machining could really add up if you can't do it yourself though.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #31
stupid regular cab!!

lol alrighty...thanks u 2..y only 100 on yours..?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #32
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

lol alrighty...thanks u 2..y only 100 on yours..?
You too can have an eaton for $100. It isn't bolt on by any means though: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THUND...20020674QQrdZ1
Old 12-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #33
stupid regular cab!!

Quote: Originally Posted by rat
You too can have an eaton for $100. It isn't bolt on by any means though: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THUND...20020674QQrdZ1
lol crazy how would u get that on..?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #34
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

lol crazy how would u get that on..?
http://community.webshots.com/album/514271364bIIjHx
I have a lot more work to do to get it to work, but that is my progress so far. There are a bunch of different ways to put it on there, the way i am doing it is the way I think is best. The stock fuel system could be saved with a cowl hood probably.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #35
stupid regular cab!!

Quote: Originally Posted by rat
http://community.webshots.com/album/514271364bIIjHx
I have a lot more work to do to get it to work, but that is my progress so far. There are a bunch of different ways to put it on there, the way i am doing it is the way I think is best. The stock fuel system could be saved with a cowl hood probably.
very interesting lol
Old 12-16-2005, 10:40 PM   #36
Cornerin Demon

this topic is great!
never heard of the WJ b4, was looking into a t3/t4 turbo, but may hold off on that for now and just get my heads ported and buy a WJ and run it around 10lb, need to buy the Holly 670 as an upgrade, has anyone done that conversion from a stock TBI to the Holly?
I know the conectors are different, do you just find some off a junk yard 5.7 and splice them in?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:17 AM   #37
Getting back to Boosting

I paid 3200 for my vortech kit about 5 or 6 years ago. Be careful with the Holley upgrade, those things love to dump fuel.. You should be fine with the wynjammer at 10psi though as far as the holley goes. I though the connectors came with the holley???

Jay
Old 12-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #38
Cornerin Demon

Quote: Originally Posted by badaSS98
I paid 3200 for my vortech kit about 5 or 6 years ago. Be careful with the Holley upgrade, those things love to dump fuel.. You should be fine with the wynjammer at 10psi though as far as the holley goes. I though the connectors came with the holley???

Jay
haha yes they do i forgot , you mean because it is for a 5.7 thats why it loves to dump fuel?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #39
it goes boom.

Would this Super work with the 4.3 Liter from 94? Vin code W?
i'm debating on getting a super for my truck. As a turbo setup is looking to be more expensive/time consuming for me. Anyone
Old 12-19-2005, 06:42 PM   #40
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

Quote: Originally Posted by DriverJ
Would this Super work with the 4.3 Liter from 94? Vin code W?
i'm debating on getting a super for my truck. As a turbo setup is looking to be more expensive/time consuming for me. Anyone
I don't remember the vin codes. But if you have a cpi you are stuck doing something very custom. If you are tbi take a look at the wynjammer kits, they are bolt on for a '94.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:07 PM   #41
it goes boom.

damn, I have a CPI. I'm trying to find some type of forced induction. And right now Super looks cheaper. I just put a new 4.3 in my truck (its a daily driver, I didn't need another V8 in my garage)
I want more power... but I don't want to sacrifice too much mileage as 14 is still
soo... I'm checkin into options... and N2O doesn't seem that great an idea
Old 06-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #42

i have a 99 xtreme with 128,000 miles on it, if i was going to superchrage it or procharge it what would you guys recommend me doing first?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #43

Holy freakin necropost batman!

The first thing you need to do is some research and verify the health of your motor. Compression check, yada yada

Procharger is a supercharger.

The trend now a days seems to be custom turbo setups, but the easiest manner is the Wynjammer. No one else currently makes a kit for the truck. Watch the "for sale" section of the forum to acquire the necessary pieces.

v/r
Andy
Old 06-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #44
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Im only posting to LOL @ the suggestion of an F1R on a 4.3
Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #45

:wynjammer runs cooler , way cooler than others thats why Al does not use an intercooler !!! I have 2 of them , one for testing and a daily driver , no fmu needed at all , I do the programming for him so I know all about them , very reliable and a ton of power with the right tune
Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #46
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

holy fcuk i just realized the date on the above posts...
Old 06-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #47

yeah its not old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #48
WICKED 6 RACING

Quote: Originally Posted by 1fast4by
Im only posting to LOL @ the suggestion of an F1R on a 4.3
You supply the F1R I build a 6 to stick in on.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #49
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Yes yes 1 could too.... But 99.9% here couldn't and wouldn't, a street able f1r 4.3 truck is also just a bit out of reach... Doable but only on the ragged edge...

So the suggestion is a bit ridiculous.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:03 AM   #50

Quote: Originally Posted by disturbing V6
You supply the F1R I build a 6 to stick in on.
School Bus - Jeffer's Collision Center (House Springs, MO) - Bowtie 4.3 (modifications unknown) - F1 ProCharger. Not sure all stats, runs 1/8 only.

Agree'd, holy old thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.