S-10 Forum banner

'99 S10 Rear Mount Budget Turbo

9K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  300k 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I recently put together a little budget based kit for my '99 S10. I actually put the build thread in the 2.2 section, mostly because I forgot about this section. I thought that I would post a link here to the build thread and a few pics in case anyone was interested or had some feedback.

The Link: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/2-2-budget-turbo-build-621114/

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice little upgrade on the power. Trying to do a 4.3 litre at the moment in an Xtreme S10. Really wanted to do rear mount too. Ground clearance and running the charge pipe in to the engine bay was a huge issue.

Nice little build. Parts for a 2.2 litre are easy to come by, 4.3 is difficult.

#3 ·
I could imagine the 4.3 would be harder to do a setup in the rear. Two exhausts, y pipe not to mention trying to get the charge pipe back up to the front. I'm sure it could be done, but it's probably not as easy as the inline 4.

#6 ·
With the gains you have now, would you ever do this setup again or would you say screw it and LS swap? Seems like most other people that have turbo'd these 2.2s said it was a waste of money in the end and they wish they would have put the money towards a V8 swap. Especially with how much custom fabbing is required, it just seems like an LS-based motor would be a whole lot easier and still make more power.

#7 ·
LS motor is not an option for me. I line in an emission county in Texas. Not to mention the amount of money to do a swap would be triple or more what I have in this project and the amount of fab required would be about the same.

#9 ·
Sure you can swap in anything you want, but you cannot have an engine light or any codes as well as the non-continuous readiness monitors have to in the "ready" state at the time of the inspection. Meaning you cannot just clear the codes in the parking lot before hand. This makes doing a swap harder since the ecu is normally integrated with the body module, security and other external controllers. Not to mention the swaps emission requirements. Depending on what year truck you have combined with the swap ecu you are using there is a recipe for a failed inspection. With the turbo added on I didn't change any of the ecu parameters and I didn't remove any of the emission equipment. After driving it now for a few weeks I can happily say I have no check engine light and the readiness monitors are all happy.

Yes, you are correct there are dozens of aftermarket parts available for swaps, however those parts come at a cost. I would estimate that a good swap let's say a 5.3 for example would run at minimum $5000 to complete after buying all the bolt in parts. Granted you would have quite a bit of reliable power on tap, but that would easily double the cash in my truck and I don't believe it would double the value. On the other hand you may be able to do it more cheaply if you built most of the parts yourself, however you would have a load of time in building mounts, headers, y-pipe, exhaust, radiator, ac stuff, cutting the frame, wiring, drive-shaft, rear-end etc......

With just over 7 pounds of boost on a turbo kit I threw on in a couple of days after work I made basically the same power as a stock 4.3 without the headache of a swap or loosing my a/c, or mileage, or inspectability if that's a word. Having said all that... if this wasn't my daily driver and I had no emissions to be concerned with I probably would have done a LS swap. FWIW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.