whats the difference between these fuel pump assemblies (pics inside) - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

whats the difference between these fuel pump assemblies (pics inside)

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
ELTC

User is: OffLine
whats the difference between these fuel pump assemblies (pics inside)

alright ill spare u as much BS talk as possible here.. while my tank was out of my 01 4.3 these past few months one of my idiot friends managed to bust off a post for the fuel return line. another member here donated the fuel assembly in pictures 3-4 and its out of a Blazer, not sure on yr but he will prolly chime in here...
only differences i see is the main plug. seems like both plugs are 4 wires each so i found a connector on ebay that was specified for a jimmy..jimmy-blazer same fricken thing.. see link to see pic of connector
can i just easily wire this thing up with my pump inside like im hoping?? my apologies if this is frequently asked.. there was a ton to search thru
mine

blazer assembly

ebay fuel pump connection
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #2

Re: whats the difference between these fuel pump assemblies (pics inside)

If the wire colors match up, I don't see why not...I don't
believe I have a wiring diagram for late models, but
I'll look and let you know.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Dig Or Die=I Die

I know for a fact that the 2dr Blazer assemblies are shorter. They use a diferent tank. It's mounted in the rear like a cars.

4dr Blazer have the side tank like the trucks. They might be the same. Not sure. From looking at pics of s10 tanks they look like they're the same as the tank on my 00 4dr. I have a 98 2dr Jimmy also.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
ELTC

well this was a generous gift from laydout97 so im sure he will chime in here eventually and let me know the yr and model it came out of..
its really too bad these cant be taken apart and i could just swap tops and wire up the plug.. doh
Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Sometimes I'm mean...alot

Quote: Originally Posted by Gimp
well this was a generous gift from laydout97 so im sure he will chime in here eventually and let me know the yr and model it came out of..
its really too bad these cant be taken apart and i could just swap tops and wire up the plug.. doh
They can be taken apart...carefully. (That's why you can buy the pump by itself)

The square plug looks like the one that is in all the aftermarket (non-AC Delco) pumps out there. (are the wires spliced?)

The flat plug is factory...
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
goin broke but n style

I ran into this when I replaced the fuel pump assy in my dads 02 2500hd. I replaced the pump in 05 for being noisey. GM changed the assemblies. When i got his it came with teh adaptor harness and instruction to what wires go where. It not hard. Fuel pump is the bigger wires, just make sure + goes to + and - goes to - or teh pump will run in reverse. The sending unit does not matter since its resistance only.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Sometimes I'm mean...alot

Quote: Originally Posted by S15vortecpwr
I ran into this when I replaced the fuel pump assy in my dads 02 2500hd. I replaced the pump in 05 for being noisey. GM changed the assemblies. When i got his it came with teh adaptor harness and instruction to what wires go where. It not hard. Fuel pump is the bigger wires, just make sure + goes to + and - goes to - or teh pump will run in reverse. The sending unit does not matter since its resistance only.
I seriously doubt that GM changed them...

I'd bet it was the aftermarket that changed to this one styple plug so that their pumps would fit a broader range of GM vehicles ie; everyone has to splice so, it becomes 'normal" to do so....
Old 08-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
ELTC

tried it today and the blazer assembly is much smaller then mine.. ohwell no harm no fowel guess its just time to buy the one specified for my vehicle
Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
goin broke but n style

Quote: Originally Posted by RaginInferno
I seriously doubt that GM changed them...

I'd bet it was the aftermarket that changed to this one styple plug so that their pumps would fit a broader range of GM vehicles ie; everyone has to splice so, it becomes 'normal" to do so....
The replacement came from a GM dealer in b'ham al. I worked for BMW for over 8 years and BMW did some of the same crazy stuff with adaptor harnesses. somethings telling me that GM went with a different dupplier for those units.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #10

Might even be a AC/Delco to Delphi deal. Never know..
Old 08-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
ELTC

alright looks like a few of you may be able to answer a question or two for me so here goes.. Im thinking about buying an assembly off ebay but just changing the pump out with the newish gm one i have now.. the link i provided is the correct parts for my application but the plug is different thats looks to be it.. no big deal because as you all previously saw i was prepared to rewre anyway if the blazer assembly i was given had worked out.. however are these assemblies even capable of being dissassembled? when i was looking at my original it didnt look to be..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
ELTC

but here is one with the same style connector as the one i have now.. why the hell would they make them different if they fit the same application
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-FUEL-PUMP-CHEVY-S10-GMC-SONOMA-97-98-99-00-01-02-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ290357446301QQptZMotorsQ5f CarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and another one but for a 96'. 1996 have the same tank as my 01 correct?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Gimp; 08-13-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
Dig Or Die=I Die

You can take the assembly apart. Me and many others have taken it apart to put higher flowing fuel pumps in.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #14

I have a link for a how to >

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/s...terial-242689/
Old 08-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #15

the flat plug is an aftermarket. the square one is the oe plug style.

check out here.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-E3925M/

there is also a difference between 2dr and 4dr pumps.

here is what airtex says about it.
http://www.airtexproducts.com/TSB/TSB-1106-02_ATX.pdf

they can be taken apart but you have to be careful not to break anything expecially the plastic tube connecting the pump to the top.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
Works too much!

Gimp, pump came from a 96 4 door. The top of the assembly will fit your tank however the complete assembly will not fit your tank. The blazer assembly is taller than a truck. You need to remove the top of the blazer assembly and swap it to your truck assembly.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
ELTC

Quote: Originally Posted by bg's
not to shabby thanks for this ^^^^

and laydout97, no the assembly you gave me is shorter that the one i took out of my s10. Much shorter so if i use the top and the 3 long posts attached to it to connect to my unit it wont reach as far down as it needs to.
i do see how they come apart but between each assembly they have different style clips holding the pumps down and in place.. Im still going to try taking them both apart later today and ill post you guys some pics of the differences between assemblies im talking about
Old 08-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #18
Works too much!

For some reason, it was longer and wouldn't sit down in my tank... Without looking at it I dont know but do the 3 arms come off the top of the pump?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #19
ELTC

mo they dont come apart from the top unfortunatly or I would be golden.. both assemblies have the 3 posts fixed to the top and the bottom comes out.. No biggie
Old 08-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #20

Quote: Originally Posted by Gimp
alright ill spare u as much BS talk as possible here.. while my tank was out of my 01 4.3 these past few months one of my idiot friends managed to bust off a post for the fuel return line. another member here donated the fuel assembly in pictures 3-4 and its out of a Blazer, not sure on yr but he will prolly chime in here...
only differences i see is the main plug. seems like both plugs are 4 wires each so i found a connector on ebay that was specified for a jimmy..jimmy-blazer same fricken thing.. see link to see pic of connector
can i just easily wire this thing up with my pump inside like im hoping?? my apologies if this is frequently asked.. there was a ton to search thru
mine

blazer assembly

ebay fuel pump connection
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360250786194&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
i just changed my fue pump in my 4.3 00 s10 had to take the bed off to get to it tho that was the hard part there is not much difference in them at all they just made the brand new ones universal to fit the different years an even models. the wiring harness is the only thing to change from the truck to pump an that wont take any skill in this case match the colors.!!also while working in the case you take the bed off do wat you need to with the bed off saves so much time later!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #21
ELTC

did you really need to quote all the pictures to say that? look at my project thread in the baggin it section youll see that my bed is already off (been off since april) and ive taken care of pretty much everything on the frame as well

if u go back and reread youll see the fuel assembly i had was the incorrect one for my model
Old 08-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #22
Works too much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.