What to use for spark plugs? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

What to use for spark plugs?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
S10 Owner

What to use for spark plugs?

I'm getting read to do a tune up on my 2002 S10 4.3L and am overwhelmed by the amount of different spark plugs out there. They all claim to be the best. Can anyone point me in the right direction as the best brand and/or performance level?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Registered Hoosier

User is: OffLine
Re: What to use for spark plugs?

Ac-delco ftw.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #3

skip the gimic, get what you Know works well. ACDelco or BOSCH. That is all I even consider. I just went with BOSCH platinum plus myself, (not platinum 2 or any of that bs, normal 1 prong plug made with good material by a good company) Plugs should never cost more than $3 each either. Beyond that and you're either overpaying for a name that reall isnt worth it and/or you're buying into bs from the comapny. You arent one of those people who jumped on the "Tornado Fuel Saver" bandwagon, are you? If not then you'll understand what it is I mean
Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #4

I concure...

ac delco platinums...

Love em.

Im actually running them on my old small block and im am just shocked at how those suckers have gotten doused in fuel actualyl more than once for various technical issues and they dont even THINK about fuel fouling.

should be good for 100K.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
I Build Robots

I've been running e3s for almost 2 years now without any problems, but its really each their own preference.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
"factory freak"...

Quote: Originally Posted by JeremyCollins13
skip the gimic, get what you Know works well. ACDelco or BOSCH. That is all I even consider. I just went with BOSCH platinum plus myself, (not platinum 2 or any of that bs, normal 1 prong plug made with good material by a good company) Plugs should never cost more than $3 each either. Beyond that and you're either overpaying for a name that reall isnt worth it and/or you're buying into bs from the comapny. You arent one of those people who jumped on the "Tornado Fuel Saver" bandwagon, are you? If not then you'll understand what it is I mean
I agree.
all plugs make the same kind of spark.
platinums and iridiums last longer, but plain old
copper cores work great if you don't mind changing
them more often.

and most brands of plugs are fine. I have used Autolite
plugs quite a bit over the years, but now many of them
are made in china, so I plan to switch to another brand
at next change.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
S10 Owner

Thanks for all the tips. Seems like AC Delco is is the winner. I guess its OE for a reason. And no, I don't plan on getting stellar fuel economy suddenly. I just bought the truck and want to make sure everything is where it should be so to speak. Also, I noticed it runs a little rough in heavy rain or other moisture conditions, so I figured cap, rotor, wires, and plugs couldn't hurt.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #8

Since GM went bankrupt and spun off their AC-Delco Parts Division, now Delphi Automotive, ACDelco products are being made by the lowest bidder. ACDelco does not make products anymore. Three years ago I could still get good AC-Delco Rapidfire #1 spark plugs which were excellent plugs for a 1983-1995 Chevrolet 4.3L V6 (LB1, LB4, L35) . Then I discovered the ACDelco Rapidfire #1 platinum electrode fine wire plugs were changed and appeared the same as standard copper AC CR43TS spark plugs but still at the platinum rip off price.

My 1991 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4.3L V6 LB4 TBI with 1994 L35 CPI heads now has Denso PTF20TT platinum electrode spark plugs with a titanium ground. Pre-gapped at .040". I tried Denso PTF16TT spark plugs for about 1000 miles after the rebuild, but they were too hot.

A 1996 - 2002 Chevrolet Blazer 4.3L V6 (LF6, L35) uses Denso PT16TT platinum electrode with titanium ground. Pre-gapped at .045".

The Denso spark plugs with the PT (platinum tip) prefix cost $2.50 each and will last for 150,000 miles but will need changing sooner than that, depending on your desired performance level.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
WICKED 6 RACING

For plain stock motor a good old set of copper plugs. NGK or AC is what I run. Generally NGK over AC. No need to buy anything fancy. Only time I use plugs like mentioned above that cost more then like 2.50 a plug is for the race motor.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #10

As difficult it is to change #3 and #4 spark plugs in the 4.3L V6 engine, you should at least put $2.50 Denso platinum fine wire spark plugs in those cylinders so you will not need to change them for 50,000 miles. Use the $2.50 AC Delco copper spark plugs in the rest of the cylinders and change those every 10,000 miles.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
WICKED 6 RACING

Maybe its me but why does everyone have issues changing plugs. Stock form I find them pretty simple on both the 92 and 00. 88 a bigger pain do and only on number 5 do to the steering shaft and the 2 1/8 inch header tube in the way. But its not like its impossible.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #12

They make a special shallow socket for changing the PITA spark plugs on the 4.3L. When I replace plugs I put in whatever is OE. AC delco for GM, motorcraft for FoMoCo, and I think Champion is Mopars brand but I'm not sure on that one.

The socket is Snap-On p/n s9724rhs
http://image.snapon.com/international/pdf/s9724rhs.pdf
Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #13

I bought a shallow spark plug socket especially for changing #4 spark plug with a offset ratcheting combination wrench and it would not work. I had no problem changing #4 spark plug with a regular spark plug socket, wobble head extension and small handle ratchet. And the steering shaft did not present a problem. I did not remove the tires and change them through the wheel wells either. The worst problem I had is removing the damned AC Delco ignition wire spark plug boots, even with a little silicone grease in them. That grease did not help a bit. The AC Delco boots apparently shrink after they get hot so I bought a small boot puller which made it easier to pull the boots without damaging the wires. When I changed the plugs at 1,000 miles after the rebuild, I accidentally jerked one plug wire out of the boot. One of the problems is the spark plug heat shields are in the way and they are razor sharp. Don't tighten the tapered seat S10 Chevrolet spark plugs more than 12 - 14 lb./ft. or they will be difficult to remove. I learned that in high school when I first changed the plugs in my 1957 Ford 312 cu.in. Police Interceptor.

I have over 5,000 miles on the Denso PT platinum plugs and I hope to have at least another 10,000 miles on them before I feel like they need changing again.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #14

Don't forget to double check the "preset" gaps and to use anti-sieze!
Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #15

I had no issue changing my plugs at all. Easy. Everyone complains about the 1 plug thats supposedly so hard to get.... I used a socket and extension and was able to slip right past the steering shaft. It was tight but it worked fine
Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by SixPack
Since GM went bankrupt and spun off their AC-Delco Parts Division, now Delphi Automotive, ACDelco products are being made by the lowest bidder. ACDelco does not make products anymore.

not true. ACDelco stopped making parts back in the 90's, long before gm went bankrupt. Delphi split from GM in 99 and became its own independent company. ACDelco is just a name GM uses to rebrand parts to sell at dealerships. Aside from gm rebranding Delphi coil packs, plug wires, sensors... there is no ownership of one and the other, GM rebrands 100's of different company’s parts to ACDelco.

Delphi is the factory ignition parts installed at the factory for GM, however if you walked into a dealership parts department you cannot buy a Delphi labeled part, but you can buy some "ACDelco" part that is just Delphi part with a ACDelco box/bag and 20% added to the price. NGK makes ACDelco plugs and some gm cars came with "NGK" on the plug out the factory, but if you went to the dealership and got new plugs you would get "ACDelco" plugs.

as for gm going with the lowest bidder, I doubt it. Rapid fires are not installed factory on any vehicle so any profits/savings made would be minimal, however the factory installed NGK/ACDelco iridium plugs are still the same pre and post bankruptcy. I’m sure the rapid fires changing more come back to NGK making changes vs ACDelco/GM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #17

NGk for best plug but autolite for cheapest but good
Old 05-26-2012, 02:08 AM   #18

Lol @ autolite
Old 05-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #19

The failure of GM and the ACDelco spin off is quite complicated.

In 1994, in a early attempt at restructuring, still using the ACDelco trade name, GM formed a automotive components group called Delphi Automotive Systems and opened parts assembly plants in 10 foreign countries. In 1999, Delphi Automotive Systems was spun off by GM and it became a fully independent publicly held international corporation and immediately closed 25 plants in the United States and became a multinational parts manufacturing company operating 150 manufacturing sites and 44 joint ventures across 38 countries. ACDelco replacement parts have been built by the lowest bidders since 1999 and have going into the toilet since then. U.S. made ACDelco parts have been replaced by ACDelco parts made offshore since 1994. I purchased a two sets of ACDelco Rapid Fire spark plugs for my fresh engine in 2010 and only one of the sets was among the last last ACDelco Rapid Fire spark plugs made in the United States. The difference in quality and design of the two sets was obvious. In 2011, replaced the OE master cylinder on my 1991 S10 Blazer and the ACDelco replacement was made in Italy.

In 2005, GM posted a loss of $10.6 billion and in June 2009, GM filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the largest in United States history.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
"factory freak"...

never had a problem changing #4, and #3 isn't a problem
either, once you lift the front of the steering shaft up.
disconnecting the steering shaft and reinstalling it can
be completed in well under 5 minutes, so not exactly a
big hassle...
Old 05-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #21
Ninja Owns Me

As difficult it is to change #3 and #4 spark plugs in the 4.3L V6 engine, you should at least put $2.50 Denso platinum fine wire spark plugs in those cylinders so you will not need to change them for 50,000 miles. Use the $2.50 AC Delco copper spark plugs in the rest of the cylinders and change those every 10,000 miles.
U can use a Univeral-joint socket and its a breeze. If not moving the steering shaft takes 2 minutes. U wont have to take the whole steering shaft out, u can collapse it and move it down and out of the way.

When it comes to plugs, wires, ignition coil and other ignition components, its a good idea to use OEM Ac Delco.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #22

I didnt even have to do that to remove/replace mine. Simply used a narrow/skinny extension to slip right past the shaft and it was a breeze
Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #23

Quote: Originally Posted by BLKzq8noma
U can use a Univeral-joint socket and its a breeze. If not moving the steering shaft takes 2 minutes. U wont have to take the whole steering shaft out, u can collapse it and move it down and out of the way.

When it comes to plugs, wires, ignition coil and other ignition components, its a good idea to use OEM Ac Delco.
There is no such thing as OEM ACDelco anymore.

There is only aftermarket ACDelco today which are made by the lowest bidders. Delphi international bought the ACDelco Parts Division of General Motors along with a license to use the ACDelco name. Delphi International closed all the U.S. ACDelco manufacturing plants and are now made in 38 foreign countries.

When Delphi International purchased the manufacturing and license to use the AC-Delco brand name, the name had to be changed to ACDelco, without the hyphen.

The ZR1 Corvettes are equipped with Denso IT16 Iridium or ACDelco 41-104 Iridium spark plugs at the factory. The "ACDelco" 41-104 Iridium spark plugs are actually NGK. The are not "made" by NGk but they "are" NGK with the NGK brand name on the spark plugs.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
Ninja Owns Me

There is no such thing as OEM ACDelco anymore.

There is only aftermarket ACDelco today which are made by the lowest bidders. Delphi international bought the ACDelco Parts Division of General Motors along with a license to use the ACDelco name. Delphi International closed all the U.S. ACDelco manufacturing plants and are now made in 38 foreign countries.

When Delphi International purchased the manufacturing and license to use the AC-Delco brand name, the name had to be changed to ACDelco, without the hyphen.

The ZR1 Corvettes are equipped with Denso IT16 Iridium or ACDelco 41-104 Iridium spark plugs at the factory. The "ACDelco" 41-104 Iridium spark plugs are actually NGK. The are not "made" by NGk but they "are" NGK with the NGK brand name on the spark plugs.
Who cares. MY point is get ACdelco.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
"factory freak"...

the the point is that you're getting some other manufactures plugs
anyways, so why get ACDelco anymore...
Old 05-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
"factory freak"...

Quote: Originally Posted by 1low4x4
Lol @ autolite
don't laugh too hard, they have made lots of ACDelco's
plugs in the past, and may still be making a portion of them...
Old 05-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #27

About two months ago, I found a "real" AC-Delco D1943A (GM-16139369) ICM (Ignition Control Module) on e-bay and I snatched it up. That part number was first introduced for a 1992-1993 Chevrolet Caprice 5.7L V8 Police 9C1 SE0 (Special Equipment Option) . That ICM provides 4 to 6 degrees additional advance from 4,000 to 5,000 RPM and was designed for high speed police pursuit. Usually, private citizens that drive a Chevrolet/GMC vehicle with a 4.3L V6 don't care about that sort of thing so Delphi International stopped production of that module. .

The Delphi International replacement ACDelco D1943A ICM is available under various GM part numbers but they have zero advance above 4,000 RPM.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #28
"factory freak"...

why would the module provide any more (or less) ign.
advance than another module, when it takes it's timing
commands from the ECM/PCM?

unless some modules dont process the computer's commands
properly...
I know that some modules can influence dwell to varying amounts,
but timing?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #29
Ninja Owns Me

I havent noticed ACDelco quality drop off until i do, im happy. The ACdelco upper Ball joint I recently purchased says "Assembled in USA" right above the bar code. ACD#45D0016 GM#88911387. It also says Detroit, Michigan 48243. Im not disagreeing just telling u what im seeing. Its pretty sneaky of them to not acknowledge "overseas" if thats the case with this specific part. I favour North American quality steel.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #30
"factory freak"...

that's fine. I wasn't trying to say they aren't good plugs.
they just likely aren't made by the same company
that produced the originals.
then again, your originals may not have been made by ACDelco either...
ive used plenty of ACDelcos myself over the years, and never
had issues with them. but I don't insist on them, either.
never had issues with other brands either, except for several
Champion plugs that suddenly stopped firing one at a time, a week
or two after i installed them. but that was nearly 30 years ago.

all I'm sayin is that there are plenty of good brands of plugs out
there, and one of those brands may also be the one that made your
last set of Delcos...

I also prefer North American made parts, but if my plugs come from
Japan or Germany, I don't have a real problem with that.
made in Mexico, still technically "North Amaerica" not real crazy about
for quality concerns, now auto parts made in China, I have more concern about...
Old 05-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #31
Ninja Owns Me

Ive had Bosch Spark plugs installed for 2.5 years now with no issues. I see no difference from my original Acdelco ones. NGK are another spark plug that I would trust, they are excellent.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #32

Just because a part is made offshore does not necessarily mean it is a bad product. You must purchase a offshore product and compare it for yourself.

I have very few products that were made in the U.S.A. GE is opening a new plant in China so maybe the quality of their appliances will improve. GE is trying to compete with with LG (South Korea) and Ryobi (China) . Snap On is among the best tools you can buy and are made in the U.S.A. but are overpriced.

Some of the best stainless steel valves I have ever purchased was made in China. The company that was importing those valves from China was SCI (Standard Crankshaft Industries) in Los Angeles. I preferred the SCI "Black Knight" Series stainless steel valves over Ferrea's 5000 Series stainless steel valves. Unfortunately, SCI was bought by SI Industries and moved to Semi Valley California and became domestically made and are now worthless, IMO. Soon after SCI was bought out, I purchased one set of SI domestic stainless steel valves and after receiving them, I threw them in the trash.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #33

Quote: Originally Posted by Crew Cab Sonoma
why would the module provide any more (or less) ign.
advance than another module, when it takes it's timing
commands from the ECM/PCM?

unless some modules dont process the computer's commands
properly...
I know that some modules can influence dwell to varying amounts,
but timing?
You are correct that the ECM controls spark timing. There is also a latency table in the calibration of the ECM that compensates for the ICM delays.

The latency table does not compensate for the timing retard of the standard "048" ICM. With the "369" ICM, the ECM over compensates and advances the timing starting with 2 degrees at 4,000 RPM and over compensates as much as 6 degrees at 5,000 RPM. The standard "048" ICM acts as a rev-limiter by retarding the total timing up to 4 degrees starting at 4,000 RPM.

TPI Camaros/Firebirds, TBI fullsize vans and the 9C1 option cop cars came with "369" modules. TBI trucks and civilian B-cars and TBI F-cars came with "048" modules. The "369" and "048" codes are the last three digits of the original GM eight digit part number. The code number is stamped on the ICM as "369 8F10" and "048 6102". If the ICM does not have a "369 8F10" stamp or no stamp at all, it is the standard ACDelco D1943A module. All the 1988-1992 small cap distributors use the same ACDelco D1943A part number but only the ones stamped with 369 will allow additional timing advance starting at 4,000 RPM.

It was a little trick GM used for cop cars.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
"factory freak"...

Quote: Originally Posted by BLKzq8noma
Ive had Bosch Spark plugs installed for 2.5 years now with no issues. I see no difference from my original Acdelco ones. NGK are another spark plug that I would trust, they are excellent.
agreed.
I've also used Bosch plugs with good results. lots of people talk bad
about them, but they have served me well in many different applications.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #35
"factory freak"...

You are correct that the ECM controls spark timing. There is also a latency table in the calibration of the ECM that compensates for the ICM delays.

The latency table does not compensate for the timing retard of the standard "048" ICM. With the "369" ICM, the ECM over compensates and advances the timing starting with 2 degrees at 4,000 RPM and over compensates as much as 6 degrees at 5,000 RPM. The standard "048" ICM acts as a rev-limiter by retarding the total timing up to 4 degrees starting at 4,000 RPM.

TPI Camaros/Firebirds, TBI fullsize vans and the 9C1 option cop cars came with "369" modules. TBI trucks and civilian B-cars and TBI F-cars came with "048" modules. The "369" and "048" codes are the last three digits of the original GM eight digit part number. The code number is stamped on the ICM as "369 8F10" and "048 6102". If the ICM does not have a "369 8F10" stamp or no stamp at all, it is the standard ACDelco D1943A module. All the 1988-1992 small cap distributors use the same ACDelco D1943A part number but only the ones stamped with 369 will allow additional timing advance starting at 4,000 RPM.

It was a little trick GM used for cop cars.
well, I suppose so.
still, it seems it would be easier and cheaper to simply have one common
ICM, and alter the PROM calibration to accomdate your timing
requirements, since the calibration is likely different for those
models anyway...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #36

I run Autolite AR-12's in my 92 gapped at around 38. That seems to be the sweet
spot for these plugs. I didn't check last time if they were made in China or not.

Have another set in the shed. Will have to lookie-see. I ran NGK T55's or something like
that and didn't really care for em. All these plugs are non-resistor type plugs.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #37
Ninja Owns Me

I guess u cant go wrong with several different ones on the 4.3. Some engines i think can be picky about the spark plug. Jeep inline 4.0 likes champion coppers. One mopar mechanic I know said he has seen several customers put in non champion coppers and people have had engine misfires. He finds it funny when they argue that they paid $8 each for there "preferred brand" and it cant be the spark plugs. He swaps them for the Champion RC12ECC and its all good. Also there is a certain Nissan 3.3 that misfires with a certain well known brand. This thread is making me believe that u have several different good options for spark plugs on the 4.3
Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #38

The type of ignition system and compression ratio has most to do with the choice of spark plug and heat range. . I had a transistorized ignition system on my 1963 Pontiac with 12:1 compression ratio and was extremely sensitive to spark pug heat range. I ran best on AC R45S with gap at .035" . I tried colder R44S and hotter R46S and it did not perform as well on either of those.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #39

I run NGK TR-55 spark plugs and haven't had any trouble. I have also used Bosch plats without any issues. What I haven't used is AC Delco plats partly because they are so much more expensive than NGK or Bosch. But also because the AC Delco brand plugs used to have small "pucks" on the ground electrode. These "pucks" had a tendency to blow off and increase the gap considerably. If you ever get a chance to remove some warn AC Delcos... take a look for yourself. The biggest thing for me is I want to run a plug what will last a long time so I always go with platinums and don't get fooled into the 4+ and double electrode hype.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #40

someone else who touched on the multi-prong plugs being all hype/gimmick! Ive never noticed ACDelcos being more expensive than bosch or ngk personally. Usually theyre cheaper in my experience. Ive always been a big fan of bosch for just about anything. Theres bosch all over my truck. Its been good.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #41

Well for what i's worth, my BIL and I did a tune up on his Silvy with a 6.0
2500 trailer options truck back in Apr. We bought AC iridium plugs 4111's
and AC wires from Rock. They had the plugs for 4.78. Needed 8.
AC had has a rebate for the plugs so they come out to around 2.00
and change. We used AC wires kit 748HH which was 65.00. We
also cleaned out the throttle body with cleaner. When he went to
drive it, he came back and said it had the pickup and
smooth running as it did when it was new.
The ride had pretty close to 90,000 on it.

He then hauled his 30 ft 5th wheeler up to Pismo and told me
that he would have to fill up at Lompoc before as the tank was
really close to empty. This time he told me the tank slowed
just a bit under a 1/4 of a tank ! I was pretty shocked that he got
this much better mileage. He was very pleased to say the least.

So the AC plugs and wire kit really worked well on his ride. I'm
sure cleaning out the throttle body with cleaner helped too.

So for around 100.00 bucks using AC parts and using the rebate
it paid off. I think the rebate runs on certain AC parts until the
end of June. AC was fast in sending back his rebate money.
We got the parts at Rock Auto and they shipped fast. One thing
is though, we bought the belts from a local dealer here in case
we might have fitment probs. The dealer charged 107.00 ! for
two AC belts. One being the main belt, the other the AC belt.

Boy Tom Bell Chevrolet put the hurts on the belt price,

http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/promo.html
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #42

I used the accel truck tune up kit from jegs on my 89 4.3l and it worked great. My silverado had e3 plugs in it for the first 2 years i had it. This was the first time I used them and they worked great and gave me 1/2 mpg. When I did my next tune up I did not have the money for e3 again so I went back to ac and dropped almost 1 mpg. Plus I had less lag while towing with the e3 plugs
Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #43

And no I do not buy into marketing bs like the tornado
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #44
WICKED 6 RACING

I agree there are some motors and plugs that don't match. NGK-6601-(heat range) is the resistor NGK plug for the 88. Can't get the thing to run for crap on them. I have a set as back up just encase something happens to the plugs in the motor including the spares. I run Brisk silver racing plugs same heat range at 1/2 the price of the NGKs. Fire the race fuel with little to no fouling from being a ultra cold plug and light everything off when racing. And can generally get through a hole season on 2 to 3 sets compared to on the old NGKs about 15 sets. Haven't pushed the 6601 plugs just runs to like crap to wanna try.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #45

Ive been doing lots of business with rockauto lately, theyre my go-to company for the basics and minor upgrades, for anything beyond minor upgrades I use Summit or Ebay. Rockauto is cheap and fast. They screwed up and send me the wrong part and they quickly fixed the mistake, sent me a prepaid FedEx label and as soon as there was movement on the tracking number they sent out the right part. Didnt cost me a cent and it only set me back 2 days (2 days from missouri to california, thats pretty damn good in my book) Thought Id throw that out since RA was mentioned
Old 04-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #46

is 2 year old thread too old to bring up, i got this ign control module and since have been getting misses, i thought you could widen the gap with this and a coil and wires but noooo, so my truck just likes .35 and thats that, slight gain with the ign cm but it needed a new one anyway.

tried stock and gapped wide, i cant widen the gap over stock

also what happens is it run beautiful for a day with the wide gap and then starts to studder after a day but for that while it feels real good so.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #47
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Sounds like a weak coil. do you have access to or even know what a spark KV testor is?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #48

Quote: Originally Posted by 1fast4by
Sounds like a weak coil. do you have access to or even know what a spark KV testor is?
no but its a brand new msd coil, not saying its not that but i had the coil in for a while with no prob, i was getting 17mpg just trying get that up.

got a aldl cable on it and it seemed the ign module helped with o2 sensor readings.

i upped the octane thats not it; thought maybe advancing the timing might get it over the hump.

also unhooked the egr which made a big difference except for the limp mode so had to hook it back up until i learn how to program the ecu.

just trying to squeeze this thing on 87 octane, plugs are clean.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #49

^ok you know what this was, a plug arcing off the heat shield^ wouldnt have seen it if i was checking. thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #50
"factory freak"...

The PCM does not go into "limp mode" because the EGR valve is unplugged.
It does trigger the SES light, to let you know about the EGR problem, but other than
that, its business as usual.
Not all codes cause a "limp" condition. Generally, only component failures/mafunctions
that are critical to engine and/or tranny function cause default modes of operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.