What does P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input mean? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

What does P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input mean?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

User is: OffLine

Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Life Begins @ Zero PSI

Re: What does P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input mean?

ECM code for the mass air flow sensor.
Did you install a cold air intake?
If your truck doesn't run its time to replace the MAF.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

it runs fine and I have a cold air intake, but I installed it back in october and the code just showed up...
Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #4

***cough***cough***bump from almost three years ago.

I lurk around these forums, however, I've never had any issues with that noma. First post: does anyone know what cause a p0103? Truck is running fine. I'm completely stock.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #5

try cleaning the MAF with the cleaner that they sell at the autoparts store and reset the computer and see if it comes back on
Old 12-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

It is an error triggered by too high of a frequency of the MAF sensor and as I recall that would be excessive airflow thru the sensor....
Old 12-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

When I reset it it never came back.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #8

I reset my computer and then did some errands tonight. I haven't thrown a code yet. I'll keep an eye on it. I think I'll get some MAF cleaner this weekend. Has anyone ever had any adverse effect with using it?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #9

Oiled air filters will cause the MAF to send an code.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #10

Why will oiled air filters cause a code?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #11

The oil picked up by the air flow over the filter media will coat the MAF sensor wire and throw the resistance off resulting in an inaccurate reading of the air flow, thus the ECM throws a code. Cleaning sometimes works, but it will happen again unless the type of filter is changed to a dry paper element.

I've seen this lots of times.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

Depends upon how heavily you oil them, I have run plenty of K&N filters and never threw a MAF code.

The MAF sends out a signal based upon the resistance of the wires in the unit. The resistance is dependent upon the airflow over the wires. The PCM monitors the signal and alters the fueling parameters based upon the signal. If the signal falls out of a preprogramed threshold for certian other engine paramters, I.E. RPM/ MAP/ ETC..... it will set a DTC assuming something is wrong with the MAF.....
Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
ASE certified MasterTech

Perform POWERTRAIN ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC (OBD) SYSTEM CHECK. Retrieve and record FREEZE FRAME and/or FAIL RECORDS data for each DTC set. After performing OBD system check, go to next step.

Start engine. With engine at idle, use scan tool to read MAF value. If MAF value is greater than 20 gm/s, go to step 4). If MAF value is not greater than 20 gm/s, go to next step.

Turn engine off. Turn ignition on, engine off. Using scan tool, read and record FAIL RECORDS data. Operate vehicle within conditions noted in FAIL RECORD data. Using scan tool, read SPECIFIC DTC. If scan tool displays that this DTC FAILED THIS IGN, go to next step. If scan tool does not indicate that this DTC FAILED THIS IGN, see DIAGNOSTIC AIDS.

Turn ignition off. Disconnect MAF sensor harness connector. Start and allow engine to idle. Using scan tool, read MAF value. If value is about 0 gm/s, go to next step. If value is not 0 gm/s, go to step 7).

Check for faulty connection at MAF sensor. Repair as necessary. After repairs, go to step 10). If connection is okay, go to next step.

Replace MAF sensor. After replacing sensor, go to step 10).

Ensure MAF sensor harness is not routed too close to high-voltage wires, such as spark plug cables, ignition coils or other high-voltage components. Reroute harness if necessary and then go to step 10). If harness routing is okay, go to next step.

Check MAF sensor signal circuit connection at VCM. Repair as necessary. After repairs, go to step 10). If connection is okay, go to next step.

Replace VCM. Program replacement PCM using required equipment. After replacing VCM, go to next step.

Using scan tool, select DTC, CLEAR INFO function. Start engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Using scan tool, select DTC, SPECIFIC function and enter this DTC. Operate vehicle within conditions required to set DTC. If scan tool indicates that this DTC RAN AND PASSED, go to next step. If scan tool does not indicate that this DTC RAN AND PASSED, repeat step 2).

Using scan tool, select Read and Record INFO, REVIEW INFO function. If any undiagnosed DTCs are displayed, diagnose affected DTCs. If no additional DTCs are displayed, system is okay.

Last edited by jtcfanof3; 12-11-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.