What causes the spider injector to go bad? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

What causes the spider injector to go bad?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
What causes the spider injector to go bad?

I have a 96 s10 I have just purchased it. When I got it it needed a new flywheel and starter which I have changed to find out that it would crank and not start without the help of starting fluid. This led to a new fuel pump which solved the problem truck ran good after that except for the ses code which was a misfire code. Then one day im driving and the truck just died. Tried cranking it and it sounded as if it was going to start just as i let off the starter. So I sprayed some starting fliud in and it would start off of that then die. From the reading I have done on the forum it looks as if my spider died. I was wondering if they crapped out just from getting dirty or is it more involved. I dont wanna drop another 300$ into the 4.3 for a new one Id rather just use that money toward a sbc swap.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #2

Re: What causes the spider injector to go bad?

One or more of your poppets may have a heavy deposit of carbon on it, obviously not letting it do its job. Might as well take that off and clean it up good with carb cleaner to see if it helps.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #3

Im going to go ahead and give that a try the truck was sitting for a long time before I got it. I put about 600-650 miles on it before it quit running.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #4

sounds like the time to seafoam the truck!!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #5

Did you replace the fuel pressure regulator yet? whats your fuel pressure?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #6

I have an S10 4.3 and has been running rich, I got a code reader it gave P0172 system adaptive too rich, my fuel pressure is 55-60, I just replaced the 2 O2 sensors, and same thing. I've tried fuel additives to try and clean the injecters and still the same. My question is am I looking at a plugged injecter? which I would think would cause a lean condition, or am I looking at the so called O rings cracked and causing leaking?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Finally got a radio

my friend has told me this and i have stuck by it ever since... "There is no mechanic in a bottle". That fuel treatment crap is a bunch of garbage.. just like that tornado intake swirly thing. seafoam might temp fix it but more than likely it wont... your gonna have to take your injectors out and physically inspect them... make sure they spray a very fine mist in a cone shape... not squirting out in a stream.

if i were you i would spend the 300 on the injectors not a sbc, if the injectors are the problem and you fix it you SHOULD be able to make that up in fuel savings from the increase in MPG

AND for your original question... Sh1tty gasoline causes injectors to go bad...

Last edited by FLSurf420; 05-15-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
goin broke but n style

my guess that that plastic can only take 200 degree heat for so long.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #9

I havent worked on it yet its not my daily I just bought it because I got it cheap. Im trying to get my nissan back on the road then Im going to tear into the injectors and see if cleaning them helps at all. I havent checked the fuel pressure yet but it is a new pump and after it died I put a new fuel filter on and primed the fuel pump with the filter off and gas squirted out of the line.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by FLSurf420
my friend has told me this and i have stuck by it ever since... "There is no mechanic in a bottle". That fuel treatment crap is a bunch of garbage.. just like that tornado intake swirly thing. seafoam might temp fix it but more than likely it wont... your gonna have to take your injectors out and physically inspect them... make sure they spray a very fine mist in a cone shape... not squirting out in a stream.

if i were you i would spend the 300 on the injectors not a sbc, if the injectors are the problem and you fix it you SHOULD be able to make that up in fuel savings from the increase in MPG

The reason I want to put the small block in is some one tapped the one bolt hole for the starter crooked and i keep on breaking the starter housings.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #11

I got the injectors cleaned up over the weekend. They had a good bit of carbon build up on them, but the truck still doesnt start. I think I have a weak fuel pump Im going to try to get a fuel pressure gauge and check that next.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #12

That sucks man. You may have bad injectors, a FPR or maybe the pump itself.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Local Tech

test the fuel pressure...... fuel pumps can be defective, ya know.... plus, check the fuel pump ground on the frame
Old 05-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #14

The fuel pump hums when I turn the key. I pushed the scrader valve on the fuel rail and it didnt relieve any pressure so thats why I think I have a fuel pump problem. But I have to go get a fuel pressure gauge so I can check it out. I also got a buddy whos going to give me a running 350 for boxing in the frame on his chevelle so if i cant get this thing running I got a motor for it.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #15

Could just be ur battery! That what was wrong with mine the dealership and some lil shops around where i live. Were tellin me i needed a new spider it been a year and a half now and no problems.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #16

i have a fuel injection problem... i have a 4.3 blazer and it started running rough out of no where and my cat started knocking real bad and it ate gas pretty quick and was runnin real weak when in gear and a little jumpy and hesitant. i took it somewhere and they said they think its a leaky injector but they would know for sure unless i was replaceing them cuz they didnt want to do all the work to get to the injectors if i wasnt fixin it. could i get some guidance....?? maybe a guide to change them myself or an easier way to fix this problem? pm me or just add a post to this thanks
Old 07-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #17

Quote: Originally Posted by blackthunder96
i have a fuel injection problem... i have a 4.3 blazer and it started running rough out of no where and my cat started knocking real bad and it ate gas pretty quick and was runnin real weak when in gear and a little jumpy and hesitant. i took it somewhere and they said they think its a leaky injector but they would know for sure unless i was replaceing them cuz they didnt want to do all the work to get to the injectors if i wasnt fixin it. could i get some guidance....?? maybe a guide to change them myself or an easier way to fix this problem? pm me or just add a post to this thanks
Try the search button guys.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/s...de-kit-324166/
should take less than an hour to remove old injector unit with proper tools. i removed mine in 35 mins. def do it your self. mech. will charge you proly 400 in labor.

Last edited by onecrazynoma; 07-04-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #18

Guys don't forget that gmpartsdirect.com isn't the only discount source for parts. I did this spider replacement project along with the lower intake gaskets in a hotel parking lot (1000 miles away from home) with minimal tools and resources. I purchased the spider and gasket set from partszoneonline.com. They don't charge the ridiculous shipping that gmpartsdirect charges.

Remember, its not that much harder to replaced the lower intake gaskets while you're working in there - yes you have to remove the lower intake but its easy. just remember to clean off all of the gunk&junk laying around the lower intake prior to pulling it up so that none of it falls into the engine. My gaskets were totally trashed from the 12yrs of Dexcool abuse. Removing the LI also requires the removal of the distributor which is very simple. The timing won't get out of whack so long that some clown doesn't crank the engine. Just mark the rotor's position with a magic marker.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #19

[quote=tigers2007;6580677]Guys don't forget that gmpartsdirect.com isn't the only discount source for parts. I did this spider replacement project along with the lower intake gaskets in a hotel parking lot (1000 miles away from home) with minimal tools and resources. I purchased the spider and gasket set from . They don't charge the ridiculous shipping that gmpartsdirect charges.

really how did you order and get the part 1,000 miles from home? LOL I agree with the shipping and gmdirect being crazy. This is why I order all my s10 parts from www.chevyclub.org or ebay.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #20

i have a s10 with vortec motor and dint start cause was sitting for years so i changed gas pump, i checked wireing, sparks at the plugs checked for gas going in the spider inyectors and seams with gas into the throtle it turns on but not with its pump so after 2 full days i ended up taking the spider inyector out. first test, tested each inyector with positive and negative and aparently it was good so i checked the pressure regulator and clean'd it, since i had 2 spider inyectors that did the same thing i took one for testing that i also took one of the hoses off and it work so i found out the tips was stuck cause the carbon so with a razor i cleaned the edge of the tip and all of a sudden it came out but has like a wire or rubber holding it so it pops back in so i did it too all 6 tips (thats why it only works with more then 55lb pressure) so i put it all together and it started up so hope it helps anyone
Old 03-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #21
unZunDunS

You're only 3 yrs late!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #22

Quote: Originally Posted by FLSurf420

I recommend using Chevron gasoline with Techron if you have fuel injection. That product was introduced when fuel injection began replacing carburetors. I first thought Techron was just another snake oil product for fuel injection systems but I was wrong. It is not a instant cure for bad injectors but if Chevron or Texaco gasoline is used on a regular basis, the injectors will run clean and the regulator and in-tank fuel pumps will last longer. I have used Chevron with Techron since my 1991 S10 Blazer 4x4 was new. My S10 Blazer now has a fresh engine but with 160,000 miles on the original TBI and the in-tank fuel pump and it still maintains the correct pressure and fuel flow.

Chevron / Texaco gasoline is usually more expensive than typical convenience store gasoline because the cheaper fuel is sourced from bulk stocks at the terminals without any additives that tend to increase the price.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Ticket Magnet

There is a big difference between TBI injectors and poppets. GM addressed cleaning poppets in a TSB. The only effective way to clean them is with a stand alone system that uses high pressure solvents made by 3M. The system attaches to the schader valve, fuel pump is disabled, and the engine is run on the cleaning system only. In tank cleaners may help with valve deposits, but not poppet problems.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #24

You are correct.

The 1992 - 1995 CPI systems were more troublesome than the 1985 - 1995 TBI system. In 1996, GM solved the CPI problems with the introduction of the SCPI system.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
Ticket Magnet

No they didn't...it was't until about mid 2002 that they came out with the new design that solved the clogged poppet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.