Vent selector not working - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Vent selector not working

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Ninja Owns Me

User is: OffLine
Vent selector not working

2wd 4.3 . I have air blowing out the Dash Vents constantly. When i switch to defrost or floor there is only a tiny bit of air going to that area. When i close the Dash Vents with it on Defrost or Floor setting then i can feel more air coming from that location. I also have the dash hiss. I looked at my actuators and they all move. I replaced the 5/32 and 7/32 vac lines and its connected to the fender reservoir.

Is my selector switch itself the issue or is it my Vent door stuck open or something else?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Re: Vent selector not working

I am having the same issue on the truck I just bought me son. I hope someone can give us some ideas on how to fix it.

The vac hoses you replaced...Where are they located? Maybe that is my problem
Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Ninja Owns Me

just below the brake booster on the driver side.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Ninja Owns Me

anyone have suggestions?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #5

LOL same problem, I will follow this thread.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

I had the Same problem on mine if you look inside the drivers side fender there is a evap looking container with a hose plugged in it. Follow those hoses from the container back to where they tee together there should be three lines. The lines are probably dry rotted causing it not to vacuum and in turn switching vent selection. I replaced my lines at napa for 6 bucks and it works perfect. Just take the hoses off and into the store with you and get about the same inner diameter and length and it should fix the problem
Old 12-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #7

And also there is a bb looking thing inside the control switch that fell out on mine when taking the dash out bought a new ac control panel from pick and pull and it fixed that also. Hope this helps
Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Ninja Owns Me

Quote: Originally Posted by whitelowereddime
I had the Same problem on mine if you look inside the drivers side fender there is a evap looking container with a hose plugged in it. Follow those hoses from the container back to where they tee together there should be three lines. The lines are probably dry rotted causing it not to vacuum and in turn switching vent selection. I replaced my lines at napa for 6 bucks and it works perfect. Just take the hoses off and into the store with you and get about the same inner diameter and length and it should fix the problem
As stated above, I changed all the hoses. My vent door is stuck open, broke. I can see all my actuators moving.

When i switch modes i feel about 10% from that vent(which tells me that they are opening) So my vent door is the issue as its not closing, therefore NOT redirecting air. If i close the dash vents manually i get more air on the feet or defrost as its mimicking closing the vent door.

Does the dash have to come out to fix the vent door, would a coat hanger reach up there to see if its stuck or broken?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by BLKzq8noma
As stated above, I changed all the hoses. My vent door is stuck open, broke. I can see all my actuators moving.

When i switch modes i feel about 10% from that vent(which tells me that they are opening) So my vent door is the issue as its not closing, therefore NOT redirecting air. If i close the dash vents manually i get more air on the feet or defrost as its mimicking closing the vent door.

Does the dash have to come out to fix the vent door, would a coat hanger reach up there to see if its stuck or broken?
You need to replace what is called the "Mode Actuator" on the heater box. It is $80 from Gm part number 52494116, I bought the only one on e-bay for $20 plus shipping a week ago. To get it out you must take out the center consol, knee bolster, the right side of the knee bolster, then a funny bend D shaped support bracket. To close the the vent the actuator extends, to go to bi-level it retracts, my moved in retract but would not extend. See my blog < http://fred-hemker.blogspot.com/2012...ly-update.html> for pictures of the pieces.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Ninja Owns Me

Quote: Originally Posted by fred1948
You need to replace what is called the "Mode Actuator" on the heater box. It is $80 from Gm part number 52494116, I bought the only one on e-bay for $20 plus shipping a week ago. To get it out you must take out the center consol, knee bolster, the right side of the knee bolster, then a funny bend D shaped support bracket. To close the the vent the actuator extends, to go to bi-level it retracts, my moved in retract but would not extend. See my blog < http://fred-hemker.blogspot.com/2012...ly-update.html> for pictures of the pieces.
Where was the actuator located? Behind the glove box to the left?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #11

No, it is just to the right of the steering column up under the dash. You must take out center console (3 10mm nuts under the cup holder and tray) , the panel under the steering column (bunch of 9/32 screws), the cover under the ashtray (also 9/32 screws), and you will see the funny D bracket just to the right of the steering column, take out the 2 10mm nuts up above and the 4 10mm screws in the angle bracket. The actuator is up behind. It slides out of the bracket after you disconnect it from the door lever. I will post some more pictures on my blog unless you can tell me how to post them here. Fred
Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Ninja Owns Me

No, it is just to the right of the steering column up under the dash. You must take out center console (3 10mm nuts under the cup holder and tray) , the panel under the steering column (bunch of 9/32 screws), the cover under the ashtray (also 9/32 screws), and you will see the funny D bracket just to the right of the steering column, take out the 2 10mm nuts up above and the 4 10mm screws in the angle bracket. The actuator is up behind. It slides out of the bracket after you disconnect it from the door lever. I will post some more pictures on my blog unless you can tell me how to post them here. Fred
You have a pic on your blog where the steering column and under that is show up close,
I see the stainless bracket with two bolt heads showing just to the right of the steering column... Is it behind that fred?

Thanks Fred
Old 03-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #13

http://fred-hemker.blogspot.com/2012...placement.html shows the parts. I put enough of the dash back together so I can drive it but have not installed the new actuator yet.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Ninja Owns Me

Fred do u have the same symptoms i described? Did u check to see if your actuator your talking about was not moving?

Thanks Fred
Old 03-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #15

I took the dash apart in my first blog post because I was following the procedure in the manual, no matter what you have to take the panel off under the steering column so you can skip to that and with the panel off you can use a flashlight to see if any of the actuators move when you turn the control, if they do you can skip right ahead to replacing the actuator you need. There are four, defrost/floor, mode (instrument panel vents), slave actuator for bi-level, and recirculation. The recirculation actuator is behind the "storage" compartment which I assumes means the glove box.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #16

yes absolutely, all air out the dash vents,
Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #17

Door lever has a spring that holds it in center position, vacuum either pulls for dash vents (brown line) or pushes (yellow line) for floor/defrost position. mine would pull for dash vents but would not push.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #18

http://fred-hemker.blogspot.com/2012...placement.html I added another picture of the heater schematic.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
Ninja Owns Me

Thanks alot Fred. Your a great help.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
Ninja Owns Me

It just has one brown line going to it judging your diagram? Im pretty sure i hear this actuator hissing as well.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #21

Should have brown and yellow going to it. It is a multi-position actuator. The diaphram sits in a "neutral" position; one like sucks it up, the other line sucks it down. This is not a real good picture, but you can see the yellow line connected to the actuator. The brown line connects on the other side (I think).

Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #22

Looking at that pic again, the two brown wires coming out of the carpet aren't vacumm lines...they are just wires for either my sound system, or my train horns. The brown vacuum line is up near the top, by the upper actuator.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #23
"factory freak"...

another thing that's really helpful when working way
up behind the dash like this for extended time is to
remove the driver seat and just lay in the floor instead
of contorting yourself over the door sill.

just be very careful not to move the seat adjusters while
the seat is out, or you may have to re-align the tracks on
each side to get the seat to aglign properly for reinstallment.

there are a couple of studs sticking up through the carpet,
just cover them with towels or a mat so they don't gouge
your back.

sounds kinda crazy, but it's a far more comfortable way to work
under the dash...
Old 03-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #24

Quote: Originally Posted by Crew Cab Sonoma
another thing that's really helpful when working way
up behind the dash like this for extended time is to
remove the driver seat and just lay in the floor instead
of contorting yourself over the door sill.
Agree 100%. That's what I did when I had to get into the dash with my Sonoma. It was pretty easy.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #25
Ninja Owns Me

Thanks aa21830. Did u change the actuator with the brown and yellow hose out as well?

The mode actuator is not pictured above correct? or is it the one with the yellow line in it?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #26

The mode actuator is the one with the yellow line. The other one with red and blue lines is the defroster actuator. I didn't replace either one when I took these pics last year, but now one of them must not be working right because the floor heat setting sends air to the floor and defroster vents at the same time. Gonna be looking into that soon....
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #27

Quote: Originally Posted by aa21830
The mode actuator is the one with the yellow line. The other one with red and blue lines is the defroster actuator. I didn't replace either one when I took these pics last year, but now one of them must not be working right because the floor heat setting sends air to the floor and defroster vents at the same time. Gonna be looking into that soon....
so, how big a job is this and how much time to change the actuator?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #28

Hello Rachel, first time it took me about four hours but I checked out all the subsystems looking for the problem. I just got done putting in my new actuator and it took me about two hours. count your screws, there are a couple of short ones and they have to go back in the same holes as there are components behind them you will damage with the long standard screws. Other than that be careful if you use an electric screwdriver as the screws can be overtightened.

These are the tools you will need.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #29

It is now working like new.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #30

Question Re: Vent selector not working

Very helpful pics and write up Fred. I have tested my Mode Actuator with a Mighty Vac and it is indeed failed. What is the trick to releasing the retaining tabs so the darn thing will slide out????
Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #31

That is the most frustrating part...pushing those plastic clips up or down so the actuator will slide out. I use a small screwdriver and/or pick to get in there (although that did not prevent me from breaking off the plastic mounting tab once).

This is what you're looking for:

For this actuator, I pulled the clip downward so it slided past the mounting tab. Some of these actuators, it's pretty hard to see the clip.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #32

Quote: Originally Posted by RickG
Very helpful pics and write up Fred. I have tested my Mode Actuator with a Mighty Vac and it is indeed failed. What is the trick to releasing the retaining tabs so the darn thing will slide out????

I figured it out(would have been more obv if I had a new one first). Stick a flathead screwdriver into the base of the U shaped mount, about the same distance behin the push rod as the vac connection is in front and this releases it. You were abs right about disconnecting the pin on the linkage. Broke the pin removing it...
Old 11-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #33
Ninja Owns Me

I have a question ....IF u have an actuator in your dash that is hissing will that affect MPG? Dont all vacuum leaks cause MPG drop? Thanks guys.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #34
"factory freak"...

I wold think that the amount of air drawn in through a vac. leak
under the dash would be within the PCM's ability to compensate
by the O2 sensor fuel trims.

so I wouldn't think there would be much of a noticeable change in
fuel economy from that.
but who knows, it's a possibility I guess.

I take it that re-attaching the crankcase vent tube didn't help
your mileage?
how much of a mileage loss are you seeing?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
Ninja Owns Me

Thats correct Crew, the crankcase tube being disconnected didnt affect my MPG at all. Its about a 4 mpg loss. Im driving like an old woman. I getting about 15 mpg city with 3.08 gears, synthetic oils, proper tire pressure, brakes are not dragging, new o2 sensors. I run 225 60 16. Passed emissions test 3 weeks ago very easily. One thing about my truck is there is a crack somewhere in the ignition coil that lets moisture in during a rain storm. The vehicle sits overnight after a rain storm and has misfire under load until that moisture dries up which is 2-3 mins. Ive tested it probing the terminals and it passed. The test I used was one that involves 3 different probing configurations and all 3 are within spec. I know its not an AC delco ignition coil, which bothers me. I was stranded up north at a gas station 5 yrs ago and had the guy there order me out of desparate need. Its some cheapo brand . It ran across my mind that it may be getting weak. Not sure at this point. This MPG drop has been happening for about 1 year. I expect the winter to drop even more, which is normal, with cold dense air to drive through and the choke on for extended times during cold weather. Im pretty stumped.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #36
"factory freak"...

do you have or have access to a scan tool that can read
live data?

how about your injectors? are they originals, or have they
been replaced?
i think I'm starting to have some issues with mine, as cold starts
are kinda rough nowadays. a bottle of Techron injector cleaner seems
to improve things for a couple of tanks, then it starts acting up again.

the moisture issue with your coil is a possible problem, but if it were
causing misfire after it warmed up, I would think you'd be getting misfire
codes from it.

how about your cat? any chance it's starting to slowly clog?
ever done a backpressure test on it?

you may want to give your cooling fan clutch a quick check as well.
make sure it still turns with normal amount of drag on the hub.
I've seen a few fan clutches go bad by seizing up their bearings, and
basically behave like a solid drive, with no slip.
but they usually make quite a bit of fan noise when they do that.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #37
Ninja Owns Me

do you have or have access to a scan tool that can read
live data?

how about your injectors? are they originals, or have they
been replaced?
i think I'm starting to have some issues with mine, as cold starts
are kinda rough nowadays. a bottle of Techron injector cleaner seems
to improve things for a couple of tanks, then it starts acting up again.

the moisture issue with your coil is a possible problem, but if it were
causing misfire after it warmed up, I would think you'd be getting misfire
codes from it.

how about your cat? any chance it's starting to slowly clog?
ever done a backpressure test on it?

you may want to give your cooling fan clutch a quick check as well.
make sure it still turns with normal amount of drag on the hub.
I've seen a few fan clutches go bad by seizing up their bearings, and
basically behave like a solid drive, with no slip.
but they usually make quite a bit of fan noise when they do that.
Any good tips on doing this fan clutch inspection? Tonight, I noticed my large fan(in front of rad) spinning @ temp 0 degrees celsius or 32 fahrenheit. It was cold out. Is that normal?

I havent done a back pressure test, but i did pass my emissions.

Injectors are original poppets. I inspected them 4 months ago when inspecting my FPR, but with the reputation they have and with 302,000km maybe they are shot.

The Ignition coil after a rain storm when I drive up my long street if i notice a misfire as soon as im out of my driveway, i just coast with it in Drive no throttle, no brake...It will not misfire at idle or driving in that way with no throttle. My truck shakes/sputters with any throttle input, this I assume is a misfire. I stop throttle the instant it happens. If i persisted im sure the CEL would illuminate.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #38
"factory freak"...

yeah , its normal for them to spin some anytime the engine is running.
they never completely disengage.
with the engine off I just check the fan clutch by rotating the fan blades
to see how much drag it has from the clutch. I just go by feel on them.

I don't really have any kind of specific value to give you, but you should
be able to turn it by hand without much force.
if is is very difficult to turn, or doesn't turn at all, it could be defective.
if you arent sure, and know any mechanics, you might want to get their
opinion on how it feels.

as for backpressure, if your truck runs well at heavy throttle or WOT, then your
cat is probably ok.

if it only misfires in wet or damp conditions, then it's likely ignition related.
you might want to open the hood and start up the truck when things are damp,
and look for sparks around the coil or wires. open the throttle up a few times to
see if you see any sparks while the engine is accelerating.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #39
Ninja Owns Me

It spins without much resistance. It stops rotating when I take my hand off, no free spinning . I thought the fan didnt spin on the highway when airflow is increased and also thought during cold weather it wouldnt spin at all times. I thought the engine fan would engage and disengage depending on engine temps. Also does the fan have one speed only?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #40
Ruff ruff

I needed a quick fix in July 2011 so I traced the vacuum line and used the air hose with the pressure set to 30psi and blew the dust out of the bell housing on the actuator then I blew in some WD-40 to prevent sticking. The dust doesn't really come out but the lube creates the fix. It will stick again in 3 to 5 years. I didn't have time to pull the dash and I've done the same with Nissan's that are visible underneath.

$80 is ridiculous but it beats sweating. $20 is far better.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #41
Ninja Owns Me

^^ Thanks for that. Ill try that for the actuator. In canada it seems the actuators are a dealer only part. Im trying to fix an MPG issue currently.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #42
"factory freak"...

Quote: Originally Posted by BLKzq8noma
It spins without much resistance. It stops rotating when I take my hand off, no free spinning . I thought the fan didnt spin on the highway when airflow is increased and also thought during cold weather it wouldnt spin at all times. I thought the engine fan would engage and disengage depending on engine temps. Also does the fan have one speed only?
sounds like the fan clutch is ok then.
you should be able to get it to move with just one finger with out strain.
but it will always be rotating some when the engine is running.
it's not always turning as fast as the water pump, but it's supposed to tighten up
and pull more air when the underhood air starts getting hot.

it is variable speed, it basically depends primarily on engine speed
and underhood heat. it does tend to have a bit of a maximum
speed, as engine speed rises above a certain point, the fan drag exceeds
the clutches torque capacity, thus limiting its speed.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #43
Ninja Owns Me

sounds like the fan clutch is ok then.
you should be able to get it to move with just one finger with out strain.
but it will always be rotating some when the engine is running.
it's not always turning as fast as the water pump, but it's supposed to tighten up
and pull more air when the underhood air starts getting hot.

it is variable speed, it basically depends primarily on engine speed
and underhood heat. it does tend to have a bit of a maximum
speed, as engine speed rises above a certain point, the fan drag exceeds
the clutches torque capacity, thus limiting its speed.
I can do it with one finger. I do feel it engaged or be resistant, but its not a struggle to move it. It stops right after I stop touching it. Does not freewheel or move any further. Its snowing out and the fan seems to be going full speed all the time, from intial start up to shut off. IS that normal? Thanks for the help. I have MPG loss and most of time a little power loss, which are symptoms if this fan is going all out, all the time. I feel like Im running my AC when I give alot of throttle.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #44
Ruff ruff

Did you get a cheap dizzy cap with the distributor? A bad cap can affect mileage so the dizzy and rotor button could be the gremlin. Plug wires if you don't know how old. Things slowly deteriorate before they'll throw a code sometimes.

Clean all electrical connectors with 300 grit sand paper. The PCV, TPS and so on can develop corrosion and develop a weak connection that affects mileage.

My S10 cut out after it rained, read on this site to spray WD-40 in the dizzy cap and on spark plug boots to wick away moisture. It works, I was thinking of using a thin coat of permatex black gasket maker to seal the dizzy but the oil does the trick. A gasket would make removal harder.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #45
Ninja Owns Me

In the video below, does your fan clutch spin similar to that and make that half rotation before stopping? Mine does not, it will stop instantly after trying to move it. Thats not my video but Im using it for comparison purposes.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #46
"factory freak"...

yeah it's hard to notice a big difference
in fan speed from hot to cold.
on a cold startup, many people notice a lot
of fan "roar" when they first take off, then it quietens
down after a mile or so.
I believe this is said to occur because the viscous fluid
has settled in the clutch housing, causing the clutch to
over tighten a bit unil driven some.

the one in the video looks ok, maybe a bit
loose, but I'd only replace it if there's an overheating
condition that doesn't have any other obvious solution.

but one that's loosened up from wear, usually from viscous fluid
leakage, probably helps mileage some.
the failures where the bearings seize up are much less common
than where they just get loose.

but it seems that yours is ok.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #47
Ninja Owns Me

I have my doubts about mine. In the S10 manual it says this "This vehicle has a clutched engine cooling fan. When the clutch is engaged, the fan spins faster to provide more to cool the engine. In most everyday driving the engine, the clutch is not engaged. This improves fuel economy and reduces fan noise."

If the clutch is not engaged the fan wont spin correct, unless the air your driving through is making it turn? I seem to have it spinning full out all day long. Im running out of ideas to solve my mpg.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #48
"factory freak"...

like I said, they never fully disengage, only slip more
when cold. yours sounds like its operating normally to me.

it does draw some power all the time.
I switched to Efans over 8 years ago, when I still had the Crew,
then swapped them over to Ext. Cab when I bought it.
it helped fuel economy around 1/2 to 1 mpg.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #49
Ninja Owns Me

like I said, they never fully disengage, only slip more
when cold. yours sounds like its operating normally to me.

it does draw some power all the time.
I switched to Efans over 8 years ago, when I still had the Crew,
then swapped them over to Ext. Cab when I bought it.
it helped fuel economy around 1/2 to 1 mpg.
Interesting, Its crossed my mind to go get an Efan. But Im more interested in solving whats the cause of a 5mpg drop. Im going to investigate things further tomorrow. I have a feeling my fan clutch is stuck on the fully engaged high speed 24.7
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #50
"factory freak"...

are you hearing excessive fan noise?
more than you used to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.