Truck dies when you push in the brake???? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Truck dies when you push in the brake????

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
just another dime!!!!!

User is: OffLine
Truck dies when you push in the brake????

Ok. I have a 99 sonoma 4.3, we just installed a fuel cell and an online fuel pump. It runs and seems to run good until u push in the brakes. As soon as u push in the brake it all die right away. Sooooo my question is what is making it die? Is there some wires from the second plug from the fuel pump that needs to be hooked up?

The truck has hydraboost so it shouldn't be a vac line. And the truck ran fine till I installed the fuel cell. And i've tryed hooking up the tailight harness and it still dies. So if anyone can help. Let me know. Or any ideas. Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Sometimes I'm mean...alot

Re: Truck dies when you push in the brake????

Sounds like you have wiring issues related to your tail/brake lights...
Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
just another dime!!!!!

But why would that make it die? I've never had a problem like that before till I swapped the stock gas tank with fuel cell. I've turned the radio on and the headlights on plus I replaced the battery with a new one. So it's not a power problem that I can tell.

I just don't understand why the tailightswould have anything to do with the fuel system causing it to die as soon as you push on the brake.

Last edited by unclejames1; 03-22-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Sometimes I'm mean...alot

You could have pinched or chaffed a wire...if you extended the wires you could have crossed them...
Old 03-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
just another dime!!!!!

I have the fuel pump in the same location as the stock pump was. So I didn't have to extend any wires. I just cut the 2 for the pump and that was it. What is the 3rd line that goes to the stock fuel sending unit? Is there a tank pressure issue with switching to the fuel cell? I'm kinda lost on it.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #6

check the groud that goes to the frame rail it cold be shorted to the brake lights
Old 03-23-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
just another dime!!!!!

Ok. I've hooked up the brake lights and everything works fine till I hit the brake. I've had the taillight wiring harness out of the truck before and it's never died like that then. Is there anything from the computer that might be causing it? Like a security feature or something? Cuz the passlock has been deleted already.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
PRAISE THE LOWERED

Take the vacuum hose off the brake booster and then hit the brakes. If the problem stops get a new brake booster (maybe master cylinder) because its leaking brake fluid into that hose and sucking it into the engine.

Last edited by 2LO4SNO; 06-25-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
just another dime!!!!!

I have hydr. Boost. So there r not any vac. Lines on it. I just ran new wires to it. So it turns on with the key. But I never did figure it out y I did that. But I'm pretty sure that it had something to do with only using part of the wires from the stock pump harness. And also not using any sensors from the stock tank either. Lol
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

My brother had a Lumina that died at stop lights and ended up the battery cable on the back of the alternator was loose and when the brake lights came on it dropped the system voltage too much or something....
Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
i saw what you did there!

the lumina thing is funny because a buddy of mine owns a cherry 92 lumina his dad bought new and is lower miles it was randomly dying no him for no reason i found loose battery cable and feed wires for fuseable links, at the starter cable post..... somehow the nut loosened up on the stud....... odd.... i tightended it up real quick and its been awesome ever since, months ago now,.

the fue pump wire is light gray

no other wire would need ot be modified when putting cell in

except the fuel sender level resistance wire

check your gray wire mak sure nothing else is connected to it back there......

all he rear wires including lights are in the harness with the FP feed and fuel tank level one

jump orange wire to gray one... then see if it dies any more with the brake pedal depressed.

can do it at the oil switch plug or also at the FP relay

Last edited by fast68chevy; 06-29-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.