Seafoam effect on O2 sensor and Cat Converter? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Seafoam effect on O2 sensor and Cat Converter?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
tommyncal

User is: OffLine
Seafoam effect on O2 sensor and Cat Converter?

I've looked thru many threads and it seems 'seafoam' is liked by many. But, I have not seen any talk or questions about it's effect on the O2 sensor or Cat Converter. Does anyone have any knowledge whether seafoam adversly effects either of these two. Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
Starting from scratch...

Re: Seafoam effect on O2 sensor and Cat Converter?

You'll be fine. I've used it on every vehicle in my family with cats and 02s, and never had any check engine lights or issues with running the seafoam.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
tommyncal

Quote: Originally Posted by 97NAS10SS
You'll be fine. I've used it on every vehicle in my family with cats and 02s, and never had any check engine lights or issues with running the seafoam.
thanks for the reply, I've read where it fouls spark plugs, but was wondering about other issues. Didn't want to replace other parts because of seafoam. thanks again
Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Don't look at my car

Just make sure to do a run just having cleaning it. get all the stuff out of the system.

I remember from a thread awhile ago and some one saying "go for a spirited drive" lol
Old 05-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
mxm

is it recommended to get an oil change soon after? i think i remember someone saying that somewhere.....just a question. i want to seafoam mine but i just did an oil change 2 weeks ago( i got it the truck 3 weeks ago) and if i need to oil change after seafoam, then i'll wait a few weeks....
Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Good Bye SonomaST

GM has top engine cleaner which is the same thing as Sea-Foam and does the same thing. The instructions on the back of the GM can says: "get engine to operating temperature, introduce Top Engine Cleaner through a vaccum source(i personally prefer PCV line or brake booster line), introduce approximately 2/3's can into engine. Once smoking occurs shut engine off and let sit 45-60 minutes(the stuff boils on top of the pistons, valves, anything it gets on and removes the carbon), after sitting start engine and pour the remains of can into TB ports(this loosens up what small amount may have dried up) then replace TB cover and run engine at 1500-2500RPM's until smoke clears(and buddy there WILL BE smoke, lots of it!!! and could take upto 5 minutes to clear out). Thats the instructions on the can, then i take it on a spirited drive. From what i understand per GM, if u dont hold it at 1500RPM or higher it doesnt blow the carbon out good, i always hold it 2000RPM's, even in my own vehicle until the smoke clears, all the smoke is pretty sweet, but stinks like hell, make sure ur cab is upwind from the tailpipe cause if not ur gonna smoke urself out

EDIT: if GM suggests it on Cadillac's still under warranty there arent to many adverse effects.

Last edited by 91sonomast; 05-30-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
tommyncal

Quote: Originally Posted by 91sonomast
GM has top engine cleaner which is the same thing as Sea-Foam and does the same thing. The instructions on the back of the GM can says: "get engine to operating temperature, introduce Top Engine Cleaner through a vaccum source(i personally prefer PCV line or brake booster line), introduce approximately 2/3's can into engine. Once smoking occurs shut engine off and let sit 45-60 minutes(the stuff boils on top of the pistons, valves, anything it gets on and removes the carbon), after sitting start engine and pour the remains of can into TB ports(this loosens up what small amount may have dried up) then replace TB cover and run engine at 1500-2500RPM's until smoke clears(and buddy there WILL BE smoke, lots of it!!! and could take upto 5 minutes to clear out). Thats the instructions on the can, then i take it on a spirited drive. From what i understand per GM, if u dont hold it at 1500RPM or higher it doesnt blow the carbon out good, i always hold it 2000RPM's, even in my own vehicle until the smoke clears, all the smoke is pretty sweet, but stinks like hell, make sure ur cab is upwind from the tailpipe cause if not ur gonna smoke urself out

EDIT: if GM suggests it on Cadillac's still under warranty there arent to many adverse effects.
thanks for the great directions. Sounds like I better take it out of my neighborhood! I'm drawing a blank on ' TB ports". Please explain what they are, thanks.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
Starting from scratch...

Quote: Originally Posted by tommyncal
thanks for the great directions. Sounds like I better take it out of my neighborhood! I'm drawing a blank on ' TB ports". Please explain what they are, thanks.
I would guess a "TB port" is would be any connection to the throttle body drawing vacuum, assuming it's large enough to introduce liquid through.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #9

what is the name of the GM cleaner and can it only be gotten at GM dealer?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
Registered Fabricator

Quote: Originally Posted by crewcabguy
what is the name of the GM cleaner and can it only be gotten at GM dealer?

It says right on the bottle "Top End Cleaner". yes, a GM product from the dealer only. It's a lot thicker than sea foam. You can foul out plugs by doing this, but I have not seen it happen often. Both liquids losen up carbon deposits in the intake. These carbon deposits can get caught in the plugs. Like I said though, VERY unlikely.

It wont harm the 02 sensor or CAT

Some ppl might think you should change your oil after you do this b/c it could wash down your cylinder walls and get into the oil. But you would have to dump a shit load in your motor very fast to do this. Just make sure you keep your engine running. dont pour it in so fast that it kills it. Not that it will harm it, just not a good idea. Although the GM Top Engine Cleaner instructs you to do this at the end (I think). But like I said, it is a much thicker liquid and is less likely to wash down your cylinder walls past the piston rings.

Don't use this stuff all the time either, overkill is not nessesary or benificial
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
goin broke but n style

It stated right on both cans (the GM and Seafoam) that it will not hurt O2's or cats.

I ran mine thru the vacuum line that runs to my vacuum ball on the hood. It worked great. You wil have to idle it up to about 1500 or it will stall.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #12

I read somewhere that this should'nt be used on engines with 150000 or more miles on them, whats your guys thoughts on this?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
I didn't build it for you

364,000 miles on my Toyota, no problems beyond normal wear and tear issues. At least with the Seafoam. Dunno about the GM stuff.

Last edited by Dogsofjune; 06-01-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
Good Bye SonomaST

when u take ur air cleaner off, the 2 Throttle Body holes, pour a semi equal amount down each hole (after start up to blow it out)
yeah the GM stuff is thicker and i think does a better job because it is thicker so it sticks longer and yes i have heard the few tales of it fouling plugs, but it usually only does that if u do per directions and stall out the motor with it and its been a while since u have had plugs and wires.
as far as 150,000 miles, never heard that, my truck has 33x,xxx miles and i did it to it and it runs better than it has in the 6 years i have owned it.
o yeah, idk about the sea-foam, but GM only suggests using Top Engine Cleaner every 3 years or 30,000-35,000 miles
one more thing, GM Top Engine Cleaner USED to make Toyota's Top Engine Cleaner, or upper cylinder cleaner or something like that jazz, same can and everything just had Toyota on it

Last edited by 91sonomast; 06-01-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
NOT DONE TO MANY PROBLEMS

if i were to put the seafoam thru the vaccum line and put it in the oil would it make my truck leak oil or other substances ? It has 184000 miles on it and i really don't want to start an oil leak but i know there is probably a lot of build up in both the oil and upper part of the engine that should be cleaned out. thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #16
96 s10 4.3

thanks for the reply, I've read where it fouls spark plugs, but was wondering about other issues. Didn't want to replace other parts because of seafoam. thanks again

it could foul plugs if you pour it into the vacuum hose , but not if you put it in the gas tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.