s10 tbi 4.3 exhaust and intake question - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

s10 tbi 4.3 exhaust and intake question

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #1

s10 tbi 4.3 exhaust and intake question

what is the best intake i can put on my TBI 4.3......AND also what is the best exhaust setup for performance gains? would it be something like larger y pipe and high flow cat?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #2

Re: s10 tbi 4.3 exhaust and intake question

As for the y-pipe-do a search.... there are several well documented threads.Lots-o- Pics and plenty of input from members with much more experience than I. As far as I know,there isn't a lot of easy choices for the intake. I know Edelbrock makes an intake for a carb-but I don't think you would get much outta that...depending on intended use of course. Check out the performance sections of the forum-the guys who turbocharge the 4.3s have all kinds of great ideas. Use the forum search.I know from my own experience that searching can yield many results that can get overwhelming, but "there is gold in them there hills"(of results). Good luck
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
"factory freak"...

User is: OffLine

Edelbrock makes a PerformerTBI intake, that's about the
only aftermarket TBI option.

what year is your truck?
some earlier TBI trucks came with 2-2.25" primary pipes
factory, making further gains slight at best...

as for the cat, if your truck has an older pellet style cat,
you might pick a little something.
but if it has a newer style monolith "honeycomb" cat, in
good condition, you probably won't gain anything.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Girl with wrenches

You'd be better off putting 4.3 vortec heads on it with the edelbrock vortec carb intake and a tbi plate to keep the fuel injection. You'd pick up a couple ponies from that. Exhaust is hit or miss though it seems. When the exhaust on my old 95 TBI sonoma got more flo with a cat delete and magnaflo muffler, I lost some bottom end power. But it seemed happier at higher speeds. But the y-pipe is definitely a big restrictor usually where it hangs under the transmission.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #5

My truck is a 95 if that helps any
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #6

You have the best 4.3L heads on your 1995 truck now. What little you would gain from the installation of 1996 - 2004 heads is not worth the trouble it takes to convert the intake manifold to the 1996 - 2004 bolt pattern.

When I rebuilt my 1991 4.3L Z engine, I replaced the OE 4.3L Z heads (#10144103) with a pair 1993 4.3L W heads (#14099064). A few months later I replaced those heads with a pair of 1995 4.3L W heads (#10238181) with a few improvements. I picked up at least 20 horsepower and I am still using my OE 1991 TBI injectors and ECM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Pill it till ya kill it

Quote: Originally Posted by SixPack
You have the best 4.3L heads on your 1995 truck now. What little you would gain from the installation of 1996 - 2004 heads is not worth the trouble it takes to convert the intake manifold to the 1996 - 2004 bolt pattern.
Or not. The 96 and later Vortec heads will outflow those non Vortec heads any day. There is no need to convert the intake manifold as Edelbrock makes a carbureted manifold for Vortec heads, and all you would need to keep the TBI is an adapter plate.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Girl with wrenches

^Exactly
Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #9

Roademon,

You still running the 96+ Vortec heads, Edelbrock 2114 with TBI adapter setup? Sometime ago, you stated in an earlier post that you were dumping it and going to carb your 4.3L. If I recall correctly, there were issues with the ECM programming, etc. and motor wouldn't idle/run smoothly. What did you finally do?

I have chosen the same setup as part of my '92 4x4 restoration project. I recently fired the motor for the first time and need to workout a few other issues (efan wiring and ensuring fuel pump pressure). It ran a bit rough but since it started that tells me I've hooked up things correctly.

Not seeing any flaming wires and the motor actually firing is a big relief.. Next major steps are breaking in the motor and ordering a reprogrammed ECM chip.

Thanks for any info that you can share.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Girl with wrenches

I did end up getting the TBI going, it had a few minor issues like it would bog out at WOT if the rpm wasn't about 1500 to begin with. Never did figure out if it was just timing related. Timed it as best I could and was happy with how it ran and just left it. One of the biggest setbacks was the knock sensor fight, where the TBI block has two knock sensor holes and the CPI vortec motor only had one. But after taping the second sensor into a bracket off the front of the engine it seemed to get enough noise reading to put the CEL light out and ran better. There was something about the OBD1.5 setup in that 95' year that made programming the ECU difficult and no one wanted to touch it so I decided to work with what I had rather than dump more money into it. Your 92 will be much easier to work with, if any kind of programming is needed. There is a guy, don't recall the name at the moment, that does them for the vortec head swap. I would do it again though if I had a TBI truck again, but instead of swapping the whole motor (I had to because mine had blown a wrist pin) I would just swap the heads.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #11

OK, thanks. Good to hear that the setup can be made to work and leads to a driveable ride. I am thinking of getting a reprogrammed chip from TBIChips to address the changes, especially the elimination of the EGR.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Girl with wrenches

Oddly enough mine handle the EGR delete just fine. I left it plugged into the ECU harness but not hooked up and it never threw a CEL code for it.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 AM   #13

My EGR is not connected/wired directly to the ECU harness but rather has only a vacuum hose connection. Right now, I have it plugged with a golf tee...only reason for doing this is vacuum leaks usually aren't good.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
Girl with wrenches

Your might no even notice the EGR delete then.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 AM   #15

Roademon,

I don't know if the plugged EGR vacuum hose is or isn't adding to my current problems.

I have been able to get the motor to start dependably but it runs rough and the fuel mixture is very rich...black smoke/soot. With the rough idle, I haven't been able to set ignition timing yet. Motor will not idle and stay running unless throttle is raised to at least 1000+ RPMs. It definitely runs smoother at higher RPMs...2500+. I attribute the smooth running to the wider-open throttle making the air-fuel mixture leaner.

In addition to the EGR, I am wondering if there maybe some other sensors/parts malfunctioning, such as the MAP, engine temp, etc. or even hooking up a vacuum hose incorrectly. In the near future, I plan to buy an ECM chip from TBICHIPS.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
Girl with wrenches

Sounds like a map sensor to me.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #17

Roademon,

I suspected MAP sensor also. Did following checks:

- verified no leaks in TBI to sensor link; map sensor also holds a vacuum.
- disconnected electrical plug prior to starting which allowed ECM to reset to basic setting--14.7:1 air-fuel mixture in startup mode; this resulted in leaner condition and smoother running idle without a lot of black soot; reconnecting plug resulted in rough idle and soot.
- as a test, swapped out and installed a replacement MAP sensor from a 95 GMC TBI-350 truck; results were exactly the same as with the originally installed sensor.

Based on these results, I have concluded that my MAP sensor is OK and cause of rough idle and rich condition lies elsewhere.

My next suspect is the O2 sensor. I have two exhaust leaks: one in the exhaust manifold to y-pipe flange--missing one of three bolts; second is a makeshift patch in the y-pipe--just prior to the O2 sensor location. Since I planned to replace the y-pipe anyway, I had cut it to ease removing the old motor. I will install a new y-pipe and see what happens.

Musclecar76: Just realized I had hijacked your thread. My apologies.

Hopefully, you got answers to your original questions regarding Vortec heads/intake manifolds and exhaust. One tidbit I might add--maybe others can verify. It seems that the y-pipe for a 4x4 is a bit bigger--2.5 instead of 2.25 inch diameter.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #18

I have a 95 4wd TBI that runs just fine. I wonder of any of these mods are really worth it.
Sure I'd love to have more power, but the headaches?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
Girl with wrenches

Noteable change I really saw was low end torque. Which is something you want in a 4wd for sure. If I hadn't changed the whole block to a new style vortec there wouldn't have been such headaches. But a TBI 4.3 was not to be found when I blew mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.