Removing oil pan with motor in truck????? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Removing oil pan with motor in truck?????

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #1

Removing oil pan with motor in truck?????

Truck is 2000 S10 Xtreme LS extended cab Stepside 4.3 Auto 2WD

ok, from what ive read in my repair manual you have to pull the motor to change the oil pan gasket. I have my motor torn down to just the block and roatating assembly and have found my timing cover gasket and oil pan gaskets are leaking. I pulled the timing cover off forgetting the bottom went into the oil pan, I pulled the front u part of the pan gasket out. Now my question is, can I drop the pan and change the gasket in the truck. Or should I just puu the motor and change the rear main seal and all the minor stuff while I have it torn down? How much of a PITA is it to get the top bellhousing bolts in/out?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Gaaoooooo

User is: OffLine
Re: Removing oil pan with motor in truck?????

You could lift it up a bit and gain maybe an inch or two to put in a new gasket, but if you have it torn down that far why not pull it out? Why is it torn down to the block?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

I think you would have to pull it all the way out to get the gasket in there, i don't think you could get it around the crank and mains, or the oil pump pickup with the oil pan dropped only slightly.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by rat
I think you would have to pull it all the way out to get the gasket in there, i don't think you could get it around the crank and mains, or the oil pump pickup with the oil pan dropped only slightly.
Forgot about that, I suppose if you didn't want to pull it out one could cut the gasket at an angle on a straight part of the gasket and give it a lil rtv in that spot to ensure it doesn't leak. I had to do that with a valve cover gasket that seemed to be stretched longer than normal that I couldn't get to fit into the groove, hasn't leaked yet.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #5

I guess i'll just pull it, my buddy keeps tellin me to pull it anyway......

I have it torn down because what was originally diagnosed to be a bad headgasket turned out to be an intake gasket, but since I already had the parts and was that far I decided to do the head gaskets, and now seeing the timing cover oil pan gaskets were leaking I decided to replace all the gaskets and shizzle like that, I wanted to V8 Swap but im Pooooooor. Time is not the issue, but paying $142 a month for the truck and $310 for my Car, Plus $662 a month insurance makes me want to be able to at least drive it, who knows, Im working on getting a HEFTY raise at work, we'll c...
Old 03-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
i <3 sperm

Quote: Originally Posted by MINTSICK
Forgot about that, I suppose if you didn't want to pull it out one could cut the gasket at an angle on a straight part of the gasket and give it a lil rtv in that spot to ensure it doesn't leak. I had to do that with a valve cover gasket that seemed to be stretched longer than normal that I couldn't get to fit into the groove, hasn't leaked yet.
Fel-Pro oil pan gasket set no. OS 30386 G

It fits GM product V6, 200, 229, (3.8L), 262 engine., 1978-95

I got mine at AutoZone. The oil pan "gasket set includes:
Qty. Part No. description
1 30328 oil pan front seal
1 30374 oil pan rear seal
1 30386 oil pan side
1 30387 oil pan " side

The oil pan gasket is a two piece gasket made from cork. There is no need to cut something that is already in two pieces.

As for installing it; My suggestion is to pull the motor unless you are without access to an engine hoist, tow truck, etc.

The oil pan won't come off without the bell housing/flywheel (or flex plate in the case of an automatic transmission) being removed first. Its not the crank that is so much the problem as it is oil pump/pick up tube that is going to block the removal. Even with the bell housing off, you are still going to have removal of the oil pan blocked by the oil pump/pick up tube. You can drop the oil pan down and get a couple of inches clearance to install all four pieces of the oil pan gasket. However, that is going to be considerably harder than doing it with the motor out of your truck. I think you will be able to do a considerably better job of installing the oil pan gasket with the engine out of the truck and it will be much easier on your back too. It is not a job that you want to have to do twice because it didn't seal right. It will take less time to pull the motor out and change the oil pan gasket than it would to try and do it with the engine in the truck. Its a PITA that you don't want to do twice. It is something that will probably outlast your motor if its done right (the first time).

Warmest regards from Florida
Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by 4wd86
Fel-Pro oil pan gasket set no. OS 30386 G

It fits GM product V6, 200, 229, (3.8L), 262 engine., 1978-95

I got mine at AutoZone. The oil pan "gasket set includes:
Qty. Part No. description
1 30328 oil pan front seal
1 30374 oil pan rear seal
1 30386 oil pan side
1 30387 oil pan " side

The oil pan gasket is a two piece gasket made from cork. There is no need to cut something that is already in two pieces.

As for installing it; My suggestion is to pull the motor unless you are without access to an engine hoist, tow truck, etc.

The oil pan won't come off without the bell housing/flywheel (or flex plate in the case of an automatic transmission) being removed first. Its not the crank that is so much the problem as it is oil pump/pick up tube that is going to block the removal. Even with the bell housing off, you are still going to have removal of the oil pan blocked by the oil pump/pick up tube. You can drop the oil pan down and get a couple of inches clearance to install all four pieces of the oil pan gasket. However, that is going to be considerably harder than doing it with the motor out of your truck. I think you will be able to do a considerably better job of installing the oil pan gasket with the engine out of the truck and it will be much easier on your back too. It is not a job that you want to have to do twice because it didn't seal right. It will take less time to pull the motor out and change the oil pan gasket than it would to try and do it with the engine in the truck. Its a PITA that you don't want to do twice. It is something that will probably outlast your motor if its done right (the first time).

Warmest regards from Florida
96+ use a 1 piece silicon gasket that fits into a channel on the oil pan itself...
Old 03-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #8

And like it says, I have a 2000, thats works up to 95.........

Im gonna pull the motor, just not looking forward to the upper bellhousing bolts, I have BIG hands
Old 03-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
Gaaoooooo

Quote: Originally Posted by 20xtreme00
And like it says, I have a 2000, thats works up to 95.........

Im gonna pull the motor, just not looking forward to the upper bellhousing bolts, I have BIG hands
Unbolt the tranny from the crossmember and support it with a jack under it, then unbolt the motor mounts and pull the engine forward an few inches with it on the hoist to get better access to the bellhousing bolts.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #10

would it make since to pull the motor/tranny together, and then drop em back in together? Would it be fairly easy to get them out together?

I am planning on having the tranny flushed soon as I get it all back together, maybe it would be a good time to throw a shift kit in or new servos? Change the front pump seal? converter?

Im just trying to make sure I get all the small thigns that can become a PITA later fixed now since its torn down.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #11
Will work for turbo parts

Too bad it's only the 4WD you can do the oil pan in the truck. You just pull the front axle out.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #12
Gaaoooooo

would it make since to pull the motor/tranny together, and then drop em back in together? Would it be fairly easy to get them out together?

I am planning on having the tranny flushed soon as I get it all back together, maybe it would be a good time to throw a shift kit in or new servos? Change the front pump seal? converter?

Im just trying to make sure I get all the small thigns that can become a PITA later fixed now since its torn down.
You have to remove the core support to take it out as one I believe, once the core support is of it would be cake.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #13

isnt the core support welded in?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
Gaaoooooo

isnt the core support welded in?
Bolted in.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #15
Blown ex ***

it is possible to put the oil pan gasket in with the engine still in. but its a PITA. take the engine out.
the bellhousing bolts are the least of your worries. with the top of the engine off, the top bellhousing bolts are easy. its the convertor bolts that can be a pita.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:47 AM   #16

yea, overall I think this truck is a PITA! Also, when putting it back together, Can you put the fully assembled motor in or do I have to put the intake on after its in, I read in the manual to remove the intake before pulling it, Is that just to ease getting to the PITA ground straps and fuel line bolt on the back of the head?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #17
I call her: NIGHTMARE

the easiest way IMHO....because ive done it TOO MANY TIMES TO COUNT!

When the engine is torn down to no heads, the bell housing bolts arnt bad at all. But once you have the engine back togeather, or if you have one togeather to start with. The easiest way I have found is to undo the body mounts and jack the body up off the frame a few inches. Makes life so easy, you can use extensions and get to all the bolts no problem, makes getting the wires off the heads easy too.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #18

That sounds like the way to go^^^^^^^
Old 03-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #19

double posted....sorry
Old 03-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #20

Jeeez. Lift the body off the frame a bit..Had no idea getting the engine out
was going to be that much work. I hope mine stays running and I SWEAR
I will drive MUCH easier. I don't like the sound of this at all..
Old 03-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #21
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!

I guess i'll just pull it, my buddy keeps tellin me to pull it anyway......
you DO have to pull it, to replace it, dont try to cut corners, i just did mine last week.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #22
I call her: NIGHTMARE

Quote: Originally Posted by bg's
Jeeez. Lift the body off the frame a bit..Had no idea getting the engine out
was going to be that much work. I hope mine stays running and I SWEAR
I will drive MUCH easier. I don't like the sound of this at all..
Lifting the body up is pretty easy.....Ive gotten good at it. lol

What do you shoot for SASS? Stepdad shoots 2 vaquero? 45's One of the new really nice ones, and one of the normal or older ones.....dont know the differences for sure, but they shoot different.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:30 AM   #23

Haven't shot a round yet, but I'll use my old model Vaq in 5.5/45lc or
my 2nd Gen Colt SAA 5.5/45lc. I hate to fire the Colt because it cost a
LOT of money and is still pretty nice considering..I'm saving for a Marlin
lever action in 45lc and an early lever action shotgun if I can find one.

Here's one of my Colts.

I better not post anymore about firearms here. Off Topic is the better
place I thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.