Radiator Flush 98 Blazer - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Radiator Flush 98 Blazer

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
1998 S10 Blazer

User is: OffLine
Radiator Flush 98 Blazer

Is GoodYear a good place to get a Radiator flush? They use a machine to completly flush. Any help welcome.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
SSRT-S10

Re: Radiator Flush 98 Blazer

Lol.., talk about memories... I used to work at a Goodyear place and I did That alot on alot of vehicles. It can be good IF and only IF your coolant system has NO leaks.., your water pump is in real good shape, and that your heater core and radiator has no blockages and no leaks. Otherwise.., it's time to break out the wallet. If they still use the same types of machines as they did when I was there, it will suck coolant out using air and force cleaner into system making it flush thru system.., then they will have to run the vehicle to get to temp. Then.., they check for leaks. Drain system with machine, then make it vacumn pump fresh coolant back into system.
Now here's the catch... Make sure YOU specify what kind of coolant goes back into system. Make sure they dont shove ANY of the dexcool crap back into it. That stuff is junk and can clog up system and even, (in a worse case senario) can make your engine overheat if it clogs up tooo much in system.

Just my 2 cents worth..

P.S. If ya got some free time.., and got a water hose with alot of pressure to it.., make a trip to autozone or advance.., and get the clear bottle with blue liquid radiator flush. You can achieve the same thing for alot less $$$ at home and get more satisfaction knowing you did it yourself. Take the old antifreeze back to advance and they will dispose of it for free. The bottle of stuff has the instructions on it and at the shop where I am at now.., it is what we use. (we got a flush machine there as well and we put the stuff into the machine....lol)

l8taz,
Allen
Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
1998 S10 Blazer

Thanks! Appreciate the knowledge. Unfortunately I am limited on how much work I can do to my truck living in an apt. But I did talk to GY and the tech told me they will replace the Antifreeze with Dexcool because once it is used then you should stick with it. I have heard the horror stories but have had NO problems. Dexcool was put in about three years ago when the lower manifold gasket was changed. I've always wanted to change over to the good ole green stuff!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
SSRT-S10

I work on 5 to 10 vehicles a day. Alot of them with cooling problems. I've seen the clogs in intakes, the corrosion in radiators, heater cores stopped up, and even water pumps clogged up from this stuff. Dexcool is like pouring sand into your cooling system or your oiling system. You can expect it to clot up no matter what. If I get a customers car in shop, and it has cooling issues AND it has dexcool coolant in it.., we (the shop) STRONGLY reccommend changing coolant to a "mix with any" type coolant...(Prestone, Advance, Oriely, Napa brand, Etc....) We usually flush the system to remove every bit of dexcool as best as we can.., then we get the customer to run the new type antifreeze.... (mix with any..)

It your option,your motor, and your preference dude.
This just my two cents....

As for me.., Never.., Never..., NEVER will use dexcool for ANYTHING I got !!! Been there.., Done that.., and FIXED it toooooooo many times!!

Dexcool =
Old 05-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
1998 S10 Blazer

Thank you all for the advice! I APPRECIATE it and definitely changing out the Dexcool! Today!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #6

Dexcool is only bad if you don't change it at regular intervals and if you have air leaks in the system. In a properly maintained and sealed system it is fine. The problem is 99% of people think you never have to do anything with the cooling system.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by Zeeke98
Dexcool is only bad if you don't change it at regular intervals and if you have air leaks in the system. In a properly maintained and sealed system it is fine. The problem is 99% of people think you never have to do anything with the cooling system.
^^This. I personally haven't had any problems with it, no sludge in my radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.