Poppet cleaning - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Poppet cleaning

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004, 11:13 PM   #1
Ticket Magnet

User is: Online
Poppet cleaning

From the GM site...

Document ID# 580850
1996 Chevrolet/Geo S10 Pickup - 2WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct Solvent for SCPI Poppet Cleaning Procedure #99-06-04-006 - (02/12/1999)
Correct Solvent For CSFI Poppet Cleaning Procedure
1996-99 Chevrolet, GMC S/T, M/L, C/K, G, P Models

1996-99 Oldsmobile Bravada

1999 Cadillac Escalade

with 4.3L, 5.0L or 5.7L Engine (VINs X, W, M, R -- RPOs LF6, L35, L30, L31)

and All Transmission Types

Some technicians, when servicing 1996 and newer Truck CSFI (Central Sequential Fuel Injection) fuel systems (ref. Corporate Bulletin 87-65-07A), may be using an incorrect solvent when attempting to clean CSFI poppet valves.

Important
The ONLY solvent that will have any effect on the deposits occurring on poppet valves is: "PORT FUEL INJECTOR GASOLINE DETERGENT" (P/N 12345104) (IN CANADA USE P/N 12345515).

The use of Goodwrench "Fuel Injector Cleaner" (P/N 12346291), or any other "Fuel Injector Cleaner" is completely non-effective, and not appropriate for this concern.

Parts Information
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-10-2004, 12:47 AM   #2
Eyes in Fruitloops

User is: OffLine
Re: Poppet cleaning

Thanks for the info on this, I've heard a lot of different information.

Can you just dump this in the tank, or does it need pressurized induction to the system?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:51 AM   #3
Ticket Magnet

User is: Online
Re: Poppet cleaning

Quote: Originally Posted by Blk02Xtreme
Thanks for the info on this, I've heard a lot of different information.

Can you just dump this in the tank, or does it need pressurized induction to the system?
I'll have to do a little checking. Seems like I read somewhere that it is a pressurized procedure. I'm almost positive it is made by 3M. I had printed all of the instructions out but can't find them now..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.