P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password


 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
Awww..you ain't got shit!
 
jimmykicker's Avatar

 
Age: 43
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,789
Location: McCalla, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Question P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Hey guys. I have a 2001 S-10 4.3 that has a P0140 oxygen sensor code showing. I need to make sure I am right on a couple of things.

There are only two oxygen sensors on this truck? One is on the driver's side which is bank 2 sensor 1 and the other is at the converter which is bank 1 sensor 2 correct?

What is confusing the crap out of me is that last year I replaced the one at the converter for the second time at about 100K. The light would continue to come back on after the repair which was the only code showing (P0140 No activity at O2 sensor). I couldn't figure it out and I just left it on. I checked it again a couple of days ago and it was then showing a code for both sensors then as well as one for the MaF sensor. I figured the new one I put in last year might have been defective and replaced both sensors Friday. I drove about 35 miles and the light came back on and this time only for the MAF sensor AND the stinking P0140 for the converter sensor at the converter and the manifold one did not return. The MAF isn't what I am really worried about right now, but the P0140 code is really pissing me off now since I am sure the sensor is good (and so was the one I took out). I found a service bulletin for my truck (020604011) for this P0140 code. Does anybody have any info if this related to my truck?

I am going to check to make sure there isn't a bad wire, but I doubt that is the problem.

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

The code is as follows:
  • P0140 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
AFAIK, your truck does not have a sensor at bank 1 sensor 2. I could be wrong, but from what I have seen the O2 after the cat is Bank 2 sensor 2, and sometimes Bank 2 Sensor 3.

Were you able to find the service bulletin?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Looks like it has something to do with the Ignition Control Module. I would get the ICM tested at your favorite auto parts store.
http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:51Qlc_OKFwgJ:www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.do%3Fstep%3Dtsb%26year%3D2002%26make%3DG MC%26model%3DSonoma%26style%3D2dr%2BRegular%2BCab% 2BSL%2B2WD%2BSB%2B(2.2L%2B4cyl%2B5M)+NHTSA+ITEM+NU MBER+-+634710+chev+4.3&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

BTW, you should have 3 O2 sensors:
Bank 1 #1
Bank 2 #1
Bank2 #2
And sometimes Bank 2 #3 (this would be for 4 sensors)

Last edited by Yogi; 08-18-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Awww..you ain't got shit!
 
jimmykicker's Avatar

 
Age: 43
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,789
Location: McCalla, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Okay, if there are 3 sensors where are they located? I replaced one on the driver's side right below the manifold, and one right behind the converter, so where is the mystery #3 (I haven't looked that hard). Anybody got a picture? I have been told by numerous people that the truck has 4 sensors, but I have not seen but two. Websites say "two required". Is this two required on each bank or a total of two? Am I crazy?? The truck runs fine since I replaced the one in the pipe below the manifold, and I just drove it 620 miles since Friday without issue.

BTW, I saw the bulletin, but it wasn't very helpful as to the whats or whys. Thanks for the help guys.

-j

Last edited by jimmykicker; 08-18-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: δ╝‼B◄╞*S╕é╨*ε│\Üûá╝≥Ω_╚¼¼₧☼·Éé
Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
goin broke but n style
 
S15vortecpwr's Avatar
 
Age: 34
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,797
Location: Wetumpka, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

you ahould have one sensor on the pass side in the same location as the drivers. and one after the cat.

the ecm reads the front (lt&rt sensor) for your rich lean mixture and the one after the cat for cat effiency. you will have 4 o2s if your truck is equipt with 2 cats, one for each bank

MAF can also cause 02 sensor faults due to a comparison factor the ecm uses. try cleaning your maf and see what happens, also remove both battery cables and touch them together for about 15-20 minutes. This will disapate all the capacitors in teh ecm and make it relearn the sensors.

Last edited by S15vortecpwr; 08-18-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
Awww..you ain't got shit!
 
jimmykicker's Avatar

 
Age: 43
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,789
Location: McCalla, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by S15vortecpwr
you ahould have one sensor on the pass side in the same location as the drivers. and one after the cat.

the ecm reads the front (lt&rt sensor) for your rich lean mixture and the one after the cat for cat effiency. you will have 4 o2s if your truck is equipt with 2 cats, one for each bank

MAF can also cause 02 sensor faults due to a comparison factor the ecm uses. try cleaning your maf and see what happens, also remove both battery cables and touch them together for about 15-20 minutes. This will disapate all the capacitors in teh ecm and make it relearn the sensors.
Okay, the truck also reports a MAF code P0101. Is this what you are talking about? The one for the o2 sensor comes up first every time.

tnx...james
Old 08-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Age: 35
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 50
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Get some MAF cleaner from autoparts store and clean the MAF. Your converter if stock may be going or already is bad. Try using a bottle of Chevron Techron in the next couple fillups. I sued the Techron in a 96' Camry with 220k miles on it that was throwing a P0420 'Bad Cat' and Bad O2 sensor codes. After 2 fillups with the Techron with Shell gas, the Check engine lights went away and so did the codes. Techron is the only additive proven to actually clean these compnents in a vehicle! Trust me, I know Exon/Mobil Engineers that use this stuff in their test engines to keep data fair and accurate!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by jimmykicker
Okay, the truck also reports a MAF code P0101. Is this what you are talking about? The one for the o2 sensor comes up first every time.

tnx...james
You can try cleaning the MAF but it may be a bad MAF and need to be replaced. Click here for more info.

You definitely need to get it running right without the P0101 code. That's bad.

Last edited by Yogi; 08-19-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:31 AM   #9
Awww..you ain't got shit!
 
jimmykicker's Avatar

 
Age: 43
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,789
Location: McCalla, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Wink Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by Yogi
You can try cleaning the MAF but it may be a bad MAF and need to be replaced. Click here for more info.

You definitely need to get it running right without the P0101 code. That's bad.


Well, I took the MAF out and cleaned it. It didn't really appear dirty, but who knows and I also replaced the last oxygen sensor (it was turned towards the front of the truck, which is why I didn't see it). The code hasn't come back, but I have only drove it a short distance.

I got some bad gasoline in this truck back in 2004, which destroyed the fuel pump and I have had recurring problems since the repair. Hopefully this will fix it.

Keep you posted. Thanks again guys!

James
Old 08-20-2008, 04:33 AM   #10
Awww..you ain't got shit!
 
jimmykicker's Avatar

 
Age: 43
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,789
Location: McCalla, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Sh*t! The P0140 code (pending) is back, so I am sure that the SES light will probably come back on tommorow. We'll see if the P0101 code comes back too. Do you guys think it's the MAF sensor causing the O2 code? There are now 3 new O2 sensors in the truck, so I shouldn't be getting the code. Anybody think the converter might be causing the problem? The truck has 118K.

James
Old 08-20-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
Awww..you ain't got shit!
 
jimmykicker's Avatar

 
Age: 43
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,789
Location: McCalla, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Sh*t! The P0140 code (pending) is back, so I am sure that the SES light will probably come back on tommorow. We'll see if the P0101 code comes back too. Do you guys think it's the MAF sensor causing the O2 code? There are now 3 new O2 sensors in the truck, so I shouldn't be getting the code. Anybody think the converter might be causing the problem? The truck has 118K.

James
Old 08-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
briceman
 
Age: 29
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 68
Location: Amery, WI
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

my truck had no power and was throwing the P0101 code, took the catalytic converter and mini converter out, put a "test tube" in and she runs better then new... louder then it should be though, ha ha
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by jimmykicker
Sh*t! The P0140 code (pending) is back, so I am sure that the SES light will probably come back on tommorow. We'll see if the P0101 code comes back too. Do you guys think it's the MAF sensor causing the O2 code? There are now 3 new O2 sensors in the truck, so I shouldn't be getting the code. Anybody think the converter might be causing the problem? The truck has 118K.

James
The P0140 is a false code. You have no sensor at bank 2 #2, so don't worry about your O2s.

Get your ICM (Ignition Control Module) checked.

Can you post up the info in that bulletin? That might help.

Not likely that the cat is causing the problem either.

Last edited by Yogi; 08-20-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #14
Banned
 
Age: 27
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,361
Location: warner robins, GA
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

yeah you have 3 oxy. sensors. i had a oxygen sensor code for 3 freggin years... couldnt get rid of it, replaced all 3 numerous times thinking i kept getting bad ones... well recently i got another code, it was for the coolant temp sensor... so i went to check it and all the plastic on the connector was broke off and just hanging on to the plug by the metal prongs... fixed that and my oxygen sensor code went away for good.... other things can affect the oxygen sensors, especially the MAF.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #15
US Beer Drinking Team
 
hamagc's Avatar
 
Age: 32
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,156
Location: Lancaster, CA - Southern California
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

i believe this is the code my truck is throwing right now too. figured it was jsut the sensor. doesn't this sensor have 2 functions? tells you either the sensor is bad or the cat is bad?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
US Beer Drinking Team
 
hamagc's Avatar
 
Age: 32
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,156
Location: Lancaster, CA - Southern California
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

lol so i go home for lunch, come back out to goto work, turn the truck on and the code is gone. no more ses light. go figure. it likes to go on and off on me lol.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #17
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by hamagc
i believe this is the code my truck is throwing right now too. figured it was jsut the sensor. doesn't this sensor have 2 functions? tells you either the sensor is bad or the cat is bad?
Normally, yes, but this code does not apply to a 4.3 because there is no sensor at that location, so the code is bogus. If you are getting that same code (P0140) and you have a 4.3, it is bogus. There is another problem somewhere else.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
US Beer Drinking Team
 
hamagc's Avatar
 
Age: 32
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,156
Location: Lancaster, CA - Southern California
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by Yogi
Normally, yes, but this code does not apply to a 4.3 because there is no sensor at that location, so the code is bogus. If you are getting that same code (P0140) and you have a 4.3, it is bogus. There is another problem somewhere else.
really? this i did notk now. how can you diagnose this issue? mine comes and goes and without the code being right how can you really tell what the issue is? exp. when it goes away lol
Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #19
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by hamagc
really? this i did notk now. how can you diagnose this issue? mine comes and goes and without the code being right how can you really tell what the issue is? exp. when it goes away lol
You need to start a new thread. Also try to get TSB# 020604011.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #20
Wire Splicin Fool :-)
 
lesterl's Avatar
 
Age: 35
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,691
Location: Harrisonville, MO
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

The trucks with 2 cats will have 4 sensors, the trucks with 1 big cat will have 3 sensors.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #21
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Yes, but the extra sensors are on bank 2, not bank 1.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
Wire Splicin Fool :-)
 
lesterl's Avatar
 
Age: 35
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,691
Location: Harrisonville, MO
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Bank 1 Pre Cat, Bank 2 Post Cat?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #23
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

AFAIK, You have Bank2 sensor 1 at the exh. man. outlet. Bank 2 sensor 2 at the first cat outlet, Bank 2 sensor 3 at the second cat outlet. Nothing but sensor 1 on bank 1.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #24
Awww..you ain't got shit!
 
jimmykicker's Avatar

 
Age: 43
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,789
Location: McCalla, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by 4x4zr2GA
yeah you have 3 oxy. sensors. i had a oxygen sensor code for 3 freggin years... couldnt get rid of it, replaced all 3 numerous times thinking i kept getting bad ones... well recently i got another code, it was for the coolant temp sensor... so i went to check it and all the plastic on the connector was broke off and just hanging on to the plug by the metal prongs... fixed that and my oxygen sensor code went away for good.... other things can affect the oxygen sensors, especially the MAF.
Okay, I had a code for the thermostat when I first checked it although it has failed to return. I recently changed the coolant at 100k and got that awful Dexcool stop-up-your-everything-related-to-cooling-mess and replaced it with the green stuff and noticed it running quite a bit cooler. However, I was having this o2 mess way before I did that, so I don't think it is related. THe MAF code hasn't come back yet since I cleaned it, but the day is young.

james
Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #25
Awww..you ain't got shit!
 
jimmykicker's Avatar

 
Age: 43
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,789
Location: McCalla, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Update, the MAF sensor code is gone...I think for good since the cleaning. However, the 0140 code keeps coming back. Since the truck has no sensor for bank 1 sensor 2, somebody said it might be the ignition module. I saw the bulletin for this, but it was for cavaliers. Any info? The truck runs fine, and I would hate to buy a new module if I don't need it.

james
Old 08-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #26
Awww..you ain't got shit!
 
jimmykicker's Avatar

 
Age: 43
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,789
Location: McCalla, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by jimmykicker
Update, the MAF sensor code is gone...I think for good since the cleaning. However, the 0140 code keeps coming back. Since the truck has no sensor for bank 1 sensor 2, somebody said it might be the ignition module. I saw the bulletin for this, but it was for cavaliers. Any info? The truck runs fine, and I would hate to buy a new module if I don't need it.

james
I am about to lose my fricking mind!!!

I just replaced the ignition module, drove about 20 miles, and there is a pending code for guess what??? P0140, which means the light will come on before too much longer! This is what I have done since I got started
  • Cleaned MAF sensor (eliminated P0101)
  • Replaced all three O2 sensors (Fixed code for bank 1 sensor 1 and Bank 2 sensor 2)
  • Replaced thermostat (Eliminated the P0128 code)
  • New rotary button and cleaned cap (runs better)
  • Replaced ignition module (which did nothing but eat $70)
Anybody have any more suggestions about what might cause this? It's really pissing me off because the truck runs pretty good now!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:32 PM   #27
Wire Splicin Fool :-)
 
lesterl's Avatar
 
Age: 35
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,691
Location: Harrisonville, MO
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Have you disconnected the battery and reset the PCM?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #28
Registered User
 
MikDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 635
Location: Milford, Pa.
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by Yogi
Normally, yes, but this code does not apply to a 4.3 because there is no sensor at that location, so the code is bogus. If you are getting that same code (P0140) and you have a 4.3, it is bogus. There is another problem somewhere else.
All I know is I had 4 sensors on my 96' Sonoma Vortec 4.3 V6, and from what I read, they all have 4 sensors after 96', One on each bank (left, & right downpipe), and one just before the Cat (that controls mixture with the computer) bank 1, sensor 2 Code #140! This was the one I had to replace to make my truck run good when I first got it, then clear the code, it never came back! And finally one after the Cat.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:23 AM   #29
Awww..you ain't got shit!
 
jimmykicker's Avatar

 
Age: 43
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,789
Location: McCalla, Alabama
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by MikDee
All I know is I had 4 sensors on my 96' Sonoma Vortec 4.3 V6, and from what I read, they all have 4 sensors after 96', One on each bank (left, & right downpipe), and one just before the Cat (that controls mixture with the computer) bank 1, sensor 2 Code #140! This was the one I had to replace to make my truck run good when I first got it, then clear the code, it never came back! And finally one after the Cat.
I just got under the truck and looked again to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. There is one in the driver side pipe (bank 1 sensor 1), one in the pass side (bank 2 sensor 1) and one right behind the converter. I looked all over that pipe for one in front of the converter, but I couldn't find one.

I also read in my Haynes manual it confirms there are three. One on each pipe and one after the converter.

Interestingly, parts places say there are 2 required for each bank, so whaaatt???

Last edited by jimmykicker; 09-01-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 AM   #30
US Beer Drinking Team
 
hamagc's Avatar
 
Age: 32
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,156
Location: Lancaster, CA - Southern California
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by jimmykicker
I am about to lose my fricking mind!!!

I just replaced the ignition module, drove about 20 miles, and there is a pending code for guess what??? P0140, which means the light will come on before too much longer! This is what I have done since I got started
  • Cleaned MAF sensor (eliminated P0101)
  • Replaced all three O2 sensors (Fixed code for bank 1 sensor 1 and Bank 2 sensor 2)
  • Replaced thermostat (Eliminated the P0128 code)
  • New rotary button and cleaned cap (runs better)
  • Replaced ignition module (which did nothing but eat $70)
Anybody have any more suggestions about what might cause this? It's really pissing me off because the truck runs pretty good now!
have you tried cleaning the injectors really good?
Old 09-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #31
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂
 
ZQ8 Blazer's Avatar

 
Age: 31
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 30,246
Location: Western, Ky
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by jimmykicker
I just got under the truck and looked again to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. There is one in the driver side pipe (bank 1 sensor 1), one in the pass side (bank 2 sensor 1) and one right behind the converter. I looked all over that pipe for one in front of the converter, but I couldn't find one.

I also read in my Haynes manual it confirms there are three. One on each pipe and one after the converter.

Interestingly, parts places say there are 2 required for each bank, so whaaatt???
When I put a Magnaflow converter on mine I kept throwing a code and I bought a spacer, installed them after the cat on the pipe then installed the O2, haven't had a problem since. The reason mine was throwing a code was because the new cat was hi-flow and it was tripping the sensor, maybe your new one isn't to factory specs maybe?
I think the part is called a spark plug anti-foul or something like that, here's a pic:
Old 09-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #32
Registered User
 
MikDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 635
Location: Milford, Pa.
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by jimmykicker
I just got under the truck and looked again to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. There is one in the driver side pipe (bank 1 sensor 1), one in the pass side (bank 2 sensor 1) and one right behind the converter. I looked all over that pipe for one in front of the converter, but I couldn't find one.

I also read in my Haynes manual it confirms there are three. One on each pipe and one after the converter.

Interestingly, parts places say there are 2 required for each bank, so whaaatt???
Normally, next in sucession you would have (bank 1 sensor 2) and (bank 1 sensor 3) before, & after the converter, 4 sensors. Best I can figure, is there might have been changes made after 96' on the later model trucks like yours, and it only has 3? I would suspect then maybe the extra converter replaces one sensor, because I only had one converter on my truck, and I know the newer models had a small precat.

Last edited by MikDee; 09-01-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #33
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by MikDee
Normally, next in sucession you would have (bank 1 sensor 2) and (bank 1 sensor 3) before, & after the converter, 4 sensors. Best I can figure, is there might have been changes made after 96' on the later model trucks like yours, and it only has 3? I would suspect then maybe the extra converter replaces one sensor, because I only had one converter on my truck, and I know the newer models had a small precat.
No, Mik. There is only one sensor on Bank 1 - it's sensor 1 and ONLY sensor 1. There is NO sensor 2 on Bank 1, and NO sensor 3 on bank 1. Sensors 2 & 3 are on Bank 2!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #34
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Quote: Originally Posted by jimmykicker
I am about to lose my fricking mind!!!

I just replaced the ignition module, drove about 20 miles, and there is a pending code for guess what??? P0140, which means the light will come on before too much longer! This is what I have done since I got started
  • Cleaned MAF sensor (eliminated P0101)
  • Replaced all three O2 sensors (Fixed code for bank 1 sensor 1 and Bank 2 sensor 2)
  • Replaced thermostat (Eliminated the P0128 code)
  • New rotary button and cleaned cap (runs better)
  • Replaced ignition module (which did nothing but eat $70)
Anybody have any more suggestions about what might cause this? It's really pissing me off because the truck runs pretty good now!
[quote=Yogi;5504169]Looks like it has something to do with the Ignition Control Module. I would get the ICM tested at your favorite auto parts store.
http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:51Qlc_OKFwgJ:www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.do%3Fstep%3Dtsb%26year%3D2002%26make%3DG MC%26model%3DSonoma%26style%3D2dr%2BRegular%2BCab% 2BSL%2B2WD%2BSB%2B(2.2L%2B4cyl%2B5M)+NHTSA+ITEM+NU MBER+-+634710+chev+4.3&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us


I said tested, not replaced.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #35
Wire Splicin Fool :-)
 
lesterl's Avatar
 
Age: 35
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,691
Location: Harrisonville, MO
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

MikDee, why would they put 3 sensors before the cat since there are only 2 manifolds feeding it (unless you have to separate cats, then you would have 2 before and 2 after), mine has 2 before 1 after (the one after is only to compare to what was going into the cat to check its performance and tattle on you.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #36
Registered (Ab) User
 
Yogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,134
Location: League City, TX (Houston)
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

Some have 2 cats and they put one extra O2 between that 2 cats.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #37
Registered User
 
MikDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 635
Location: Milford, Pa.
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

To All you naysayers! My 96' Sonoma had four sensors! one on each downpipe, one before, and one after, the Cat! Look it up yourself if you don't believe me

Originally posted by O4 Extreme

"Re: 02 sensors location

Quote: Originally Posted by adobo My truck has 3 b4 the cats...one on each exhaust manifold then one on the header


on the newer trucks, bank 1 sensor 1 is drivers side closest to the manifold, bankj 2 sensor 1 is pass side closest to the manifold, bank 1 sensor 2 is the one before the cat, bank 1 sensor 3 is the one after the cat"

Here's the link where it's from: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/0...cation-228016/
Old 02-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #38
Registered User
 
Age: 58
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 57
Location: B.C. Canada
User is: OffLine
Re: P0140 trouble code remains. New sensor WTF?

What???? No reply!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2011, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.