oil pressure switch - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

oil pressure switch

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
oil pressure switch

sorry i know this has been on here before but from the search I could not find the location for my mine. i have an 88 S10 4.3TBI and im am just wondering where the oil pressure switch/sensor is on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Works too much!

Re: oil pressure switch

It's right beside the dizzy on the drivers side. It has three wires going into it. I think the colors are orange, grey, and balck.s
Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #3

i thought that was it, its like right behind the egr valve
Old 09-25-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
Works too much!

Quote: Originally Posted by ddg1025
i thought that was it, its like right behind the egr valve
yup
Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #5

well i put the new switch in, it was hard to find a socket to take it out I went everywhere looking for one and never found the right one. I ended up breaking the old switch so I could get to the nut. The reason I replaced it was because it was causing the "check gauges" light to turn on and off repeatedly when idling. It was also causing the relay under the hood to do the same thing. it has always read around 0 on the gauge when idling and goes up a little above 40 when rpms increase. with the new pressure switch it reads the same thing. just wondering what your guys gauges normally read when idling? I believe it is normal for it to be that low when idling just want to see if your trucks the same.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Works too much!

Mine idles around 35 to 40 and 55 to 60 driving.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
Who ya gonna call?

well i put the new switch in, it was hard to find a socket to take it out I went everywhere looking for one and never found the right one. I ended up breaking the old switch so I could get to the nut. The reason I replaced it was because it was causing the "check gauges" light to turn on and off repeatedly when idling. It was also causing the relay under the hood to do the same thing. it has always read around 0 on the gauge when idling and goes up a little above 40 when rpms increase. with the new pressure switch it reads the same thing. just wondering what your guys gauges normally read when idling? I believe it is normal for it to be that low when idling just want to see if your trucks the same.
I had the same trouble with my '89 blazer. The gauge would drop to zero and the "check gauges" light would come on while idling. I replaced the switch and the oil pressure is still low but not all the way to zero. I just keep an eye on it now. It sits around 17-18 psi at idle and then goes up to around 40-45 psi while cruising.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #8

Mine idles at 40 and can get up to 80 at times (especially during the cold morning take offs) but usually doesn't go above 60 when driving around with a warm engine. I use only Mobile 1 5W30.

Nick

Last edited by NTL1991; 09-25-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #9
94 s10 in progress

, it was hard to find a socket to take it out I went everywhere looking for one and never found the right one. I ended up breaking the old switch so I could get to the nut.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 09-26-2008, 12:02 AM   #10

i bought pretty much the same socket at autozone and it only worked for the new sensor that i got there. the old switch that was in my truck was a bigger size 30mm a little bigger than an 1 1/8". and the oil pressure switch socket was for 1 1/16" and 1".

about the trucks oil pressure it has always been around zero on the gauge when idling and it runs fine. im thinkin that maybe the gauge on the instrument panel might be broken since it does the same thing with the new oil pressure switch.

i use to have an 88 2.8 blazer and the oil pressure gauge on it would also read around zero when idling and it always ran fine
Old 09-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
Registered (Ab) User

And I thought that mine was low!

Mine runs about 18 psi at idle and 45 psi at 2000 rpm.

Try some 20W50 motor oil before you change anything else.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #12

hey yeah im havin about the same problems... my father and i just about 2 months ago put a brand new 4.3 crate into my 1989 s-10. for the first month my oil pressure never went below like 45 and was around 80 when crusing. but now when i first start it up in the morn it hops to 40 or so and falls to around 25 as it warms up.. then at every red light it falls to zero and that annoying light comes on. this seems to be exactly what yall are talking about but i need some experienced advice... i put every dime into this thing and if it goes down im done for.... please hit me back asap guys i appreciate it
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #13
Registered (Ab) User

Quote: Originally Posted by a ragin sparky
hey yeah im havin about the same problems... my father and i just about 2 months ago put a brand new 4.3 crate into my 1989 s-10. for the first month my oil pressure never went below like 45 and was around 80 when crusing. but now when i first start it up in the morn it hops to 40 or so and falls to around 25 as it warms up.. then at every red light it falls to zero and that annoying light comes on. this seems to be exactly what yall are talking about but i need some experienced advice... i put every dime into this thing and if it goes down im done for.... please hit me back asap guys i appreciate it
If I had your problem I'd be talking to the guy that sold me the motor about getting another one. You might try a new sending unit but it will prolly read the same. If you don't get any satisfaction from the seller, try some 20W50, but do SOMETHING right away!

And welcome to the Forum!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #14
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

Does she knock when the oil pressure drops? I had water contaminating my oil and it do knock just before the light comes on and it dies.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:11 AM   #15

i think i failed to mention it but when i replaced the oil pressure switch it fixed the problem with the light coming on. yet when it is warmed up and idling it still reads 0 but it runs smooth and with no ticking. when i accelerate though it goes up to a around 40 and when its cold it goes higher like 60-65 even when idling.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #16

hey guys thanks for the advice i changed my sending unit and it fixed the pressure problems. at idle its around 40-45 and driving its up around 60-65
Old 10-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
Registered (Ab) User

Quote: Originally Posted by a ragin sparky
hey guys thanks for the advice i changed my sending unit and it fixed the pressure problems. at idle its around 40-45 and driving its up around 60-65
Congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.