Oil Pressure Sensor location - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Oil Pressure Sensor location

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #1

Oil Pressure Sensor location

My oil pressure gauge on my 2001 Blazer 4WD is pegged. I think maybe it became unplugged or something. I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
It's "Neanderthal"

User is: OffLine
Re: Oil Pressure Sensor location

I think it's right behind the distributor, threaded into the block.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by jludlum
My oil pressure gauge on my 2001 Blazer 4WD is pegged. I think maybe it became unplugged or something. I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mine is located at the back of the engine behind the coil paks. I have a 4.3 1997 Zr2. hope this gives you an idea.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Gaaoooooo

User is: Online

Quote: Originally Posted by Tinner
Mine is located at the back of the engine behind the coil paks. I have a 4.3 1997 Zr2. hope this gives you an idea.
Coil packs? The 4.3 doesn't use coil packs...The sending unit is threaded into the block to the right of the distributor (looking at the engine from the front). If it were unplugged I'd imagine pressure would read zero and not pegged but I suppose it could be faulty. When you turn the truck off does the needle return to zero? If not you may want to check your gauge cluster to see if the needle is stuck or maybe the cluster itself is bad.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I will have to remove the dist cap to see if I can see it. I just got the tranny back in and suspect maybe I bumped it while putting the dipstick tube back in. It's tight back there! I removed the cluster and moved the needle back where it should be, but as soon as I turn the key on, it pegs again. Some gauges peg when unplugged(open circuit), some peg when shorted to ground. I will check it more this weekend. The vehicle was down since Thanksgiving, so who knows what happened. Thanks again, Later.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
King Turd Polisher

It's to my understanding that if the ECM isn't getting any signal of oil pressure from the oil pressure switch - which would be the case, if the switch was unplugged - it cuts out fuel. Is the motor actually running differently, or is the problem limited just to your dash gauge? Sounds more like a ground issue, or a problem with the gauge/cluster, itself rather than the sending unit, to me.

Now would be a groovy time to upgrade to a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Just locate the stock sender at the back by the distributor, screw in a T-fitting, and then thread the stock switch and the line for your aftermarket gauge into that. Don't forget to wrap the threads with Teflon tape, too.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #7

If you had the trans out you may have pinched a wire in the middle of the to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.