obdI code reading - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

obdI code reading

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
just another dime!!!!!

User is: OffLine
obdI code reading

okay, when you jump the a and b ports the ''ses'' light will flash once then pause then 2 more times and then you start counting the flashes? okay mine will do that and then flash 4 times and pause 4more and pause allthe way till it flashes a total of 24 times is that the code that I need to look up?

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
peace and big boobs to u

User is: Online
Re: obdI code reading

it should flash each code 3 times 12 12 12 then it will flash the codes stored 3 times each then it will flash 12 12 12

GM common codes for OBD1 (for vehicles made before 1995)
12 System normal
13 oxygen sensor circuit open
14 coolant sensor high resistance or shorted
15 coolant sensor circuit low or open
16 direct ignition system (DIS) fault in circuit
17 cam position sensor fault
18 crank or cam sensor error
19 crank sensor circuit fault
21 tps sensor out of range
22 tps sensor signal voltage low
23 intake air temp sensor out of range, low
24 vehicle speed (vss) sensor circuit fault
25 air temp sensor sensor out of range, high
26 quad-driver module (computer) circuit #1 fault
27 quad-driver module (computer) 2nd gear circuit
28 quad-driver module (computer) circuit #2 fault
29 quad driver module (computer) 4th gear circuit
31 cam position sensor fault
32 egr circuit fault
33 map sensor signal out of range, high
34 map sensor signal out of range, low
35 idle air control sensor circuit fault
36 ignition system circuit error
38 brake input circuit fault
39 clutch input circuit fault
41 cam sensor circuit fault, igntion control circuit fault
42 electronic spark timing (EST) circuit grounded
43 knock sensor
or electronic spark control circuit fault
44 oxygen sensor lean exhaust
45 oxygen sensor rich exhaust
46 pass-key II circuit or ps.pressure switch circuit fault
47 pcm-bcm data circuit
48 misfire diagnosis
51 calibration error, mem-cal, ecm or eeprom failure
52 engine oil temperature circuit, low temperature indicated
53 battery voltage error or egr or pass-key II circuit
54 egr system failure or fuel pump circuit low voltage
55 a/d converter error or pcm not grounded or lean fuel or frounded reference voltage
56 quad-driver module #2 circuit
57 boost control problem
58 vehicle anti-theft system fuel enable circuit
61 a/c system performance or degraded oxygen sensor signal
62 engine oil temperature high temperature indicated
63 oxygen sensor right side circuit open or map sensor out of range
64 oxygen sensor right side lean exhaust indicated
65 oxygen sensor right side rich exhaust indicated
66 a/c pressure sensor circuit low pressure
67 a/c pressure sensor circuit or a/c clutch circuit failure
68 a/c compressor relay circuit failure
69 a/c clutch circuit head pressure high
70 a/c refrigerant pressure circuit high
71 a/c evaporator temperature sensor circuit low
72 gear selector switch circuit
73 a/c evaporator temperature circuit high
75 digital egr #1 solenoid error
76 digital egr #2 solenoid error
77 digital egr #3 solenoid error
79 vehicle speed sensor (vss) circuit signal high
80 vehicle speed sensor (vss) circuit signal low
81 brake input circuit fault
82 ignition control (IC) 3X signal error
85 prom error
86 analog/digital ecm error
87 eeprom error
99 power management

Last edited by phantom_mia; 03-23-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
4x4 v6 blazer

I have a how to in the 60 degree section on how to pull codes and where to go to look up the meanings.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
just another dime!!!!!

I looked at my brother's 93 blazer with the 4.3 cause his ''ses'' light has been on. So I did the trick to find out what codes he was pulling and it flashed 21 times and then did the diagnostic mode flashing again. So I was just trying to see if I was doing the code reading right.

I looked at your list and it said '' tps sensor out of range'' so I don't know.

I just disconected my negative battery terminal for about 20 min now and I am going to take it for a drive and see if I pull a code again.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
4x4 v6 blazer

93 4.3 code 21

Throttle position sensor circuit (signal voltage high)

Probable cause - TPS voltage greater than 4.88 volts 4 seconds with less than 1200 RPM

Since you've reset it if it comes on again I'll say just replace the TPS, should be like $20-30 if I remember right.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
just another dime!!!!!

no that code was for my brothers blazer. my truck was throwing the code 24 which is the vehical speed sensor (vvs) circuit fault.
what is that code mean I haven't heard of a ''vss''?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #7

its on the output shaft of the transmission, usually
Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
peace and big boobs to u

i thought you said it flashed 4 then 4 for a total of 24 times this means the code 44 (4+4+4+4+4+4=24) thats a o2 sensor check the connection on the sensor its in the exhaust pipe after the y under the passenger floorboard
Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
just another dime!!!!!

yeah it did flash in increments of 4 flashes at a time for a total of 24 flashes before it did the diagnostic mode flashing again.

I disconected the negative battery terminal yesterday for about 30min to clear the codes. then I reconnected the battery and drove the truck for over a half of an hour and it didn't act up or throw the ''ses'' light or anything.

so I went down to the shop where I get any work done to any of my vehicals and told the guy about what was going on with the truck and he told me that the vss sensor is easy to change and then he told me to bring it down and he will throw the machine on it and tell me what code it is throwing just to be sure. so that is awesome!

Last edited by unclejames1; 03-25-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
just another dime!!!!!

if my vehical speed sensor ''vss'' is bad will that make my truck want to die everytime that I stop at a light or a stop sign?

I just went out and took the truck for a drive and it started acting up again and being really slugish not wanting to get up to speed. then the ''ses'' light came on and it was even cold out too.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
peace and big boobs to u

ok but your vss isnt the problem its the o2 sensor saying its running lean
Old 03-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
4x4 v6 blazer

VSS comes on normally the speedo won't be working.

Sounds more like a O2 sensor to me. Code 44
Old 03-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
just another dime!!!!!

a couple of nights before it started acting up the speedo did stop working but it was only while I was driving it that night and that was only mabey 30min tops and then the next day it was working and then a couple of days after that it started acting up. but every time I go up to stop and the idle goes crazy and goes way down unless I let it creep up. most of the time it will stahl out. but it will start back up.

and did I not read the code right? since I cleared the computer and the codes so I am going to go out tomorrow and check them again.

but if it flashes 4+4+4+4+4+4=24 times is that the ''vss'' or the o2 sensor? cause I just changed the o2 sensor mabey 3 or 4 weeks ago and it has ran fine since then untill now.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
just another dime!!!!!

okay I think I just realized how I was reading it wrong. cause I was counting every flash and just adding them up. damn I'm dumb!!! lol

so could that be something else causing it to run lean or does that mean that there is something wrong with the o2 sensor?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
bitches and hos

This kinda sounds like the problems I am having w/ my truck at the moment. it is a 97 4.3. It idles just fine, but if when i give it gas it chokes itself out. Found that the cat was cherry red so thought it might have been bad. disconnected it and it still runs the same way. You can give it a little amout of gas and get it up to RPM but eventually it will die out. Any ideas?

Last edited by prodan; 03-26-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
peace and big boobs to u

ok unclejames if you recently worked on the o2 its possible it went bad but i would check the conection first make sure its tight, secondly during this hole conversation you have neglected to say what truck were talkin about, motor size, year, type of induction?

prodan, for one the cat acts like a oven it gets hot and burns the excess fuel by cooking it, i dont know how many miles you have on your truck but if i were you i would check to make sure your exhaust isnt plugged up, i had an old pontiac years ago that was made for unleaded fuel and some jackass who owned the car before me ran it on leaded fuel because it was cheaper it plugged up the exhaust and caused a ton of problems one of which the car wouldnt go over 50 because it couldnt breath. another thing to think about is the fuel presently available is shit you might want to check your timing
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #17
just another dime!!!!!

sorry about that I have a 94' 4.3L TBI and after I did find out what code I really had to deal with I checked the o2 sensor. I was thinking that mabey the wires might have touched the exhaust and melted the wires so I crawled up under it and checked it out and the o2 looks good and so do the wires.

I ended up going over to the shop that does any of my work that I can't do and told him about me miss reading the code and everything and he said that it might be running lean and he gave me 2 cans of sea foam for free and told me to get a half tank of gas and put both cans in it cause I probly have a dirty injector.

so I did that and drove it for atleast 30miles and It hasn't acted up yet so I am just going to keep driving it and see if it fixed it.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #18
bitches and hos

Quote: Originally Posted by phantom_mia
prodan, for one the cat acts like a oven it gets hot and burns the excess fuel by cooking it, i dont know how many miles you have on your truck but if i were you i would check to make sure your exhaust isnt plugged up, i had an old pontiac years ago that was made for unleaded fuel and some jackass who owned the car before me ran it on leaded fuel because it was cheaper it plugged up the exhaust and caused a ton of problems one of which the car wouldnt go over 50 because it couldnt breath. another thing to think about is the fuel presently available is shit you might want to check your timing
The truck is a 97. We Undid the cat from the header and it is still doing the same thing. The truck has a new fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel regulater, MAP sensor, spider injector system and ingniton switch. And it is not throwing any codes. This is why we are at a loss.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #19
just another dime!!!!!

PRODEN- did you try and check your codes mabey your ''check engine'' light may not work?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #20
bitches and hos

Yeah, I had a code reader hooked up to it Mon and Tues. We replaced the fuel pump and my borther spliced the new wires in wrong and it was throwing a code becuase of that. No other codes are comming up since we have fixed that problem.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #21
peace and big boobs to u

ah why would you "splice" the wires on your fuel pump is it not a direct replacement?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #22
bitches and hos

Quote: Originally Posted by phantom_mia
ah why would you "splice" the wires on your fuel pump is it not a direct replacement?

No. There was a recall on the plug on top of the pump or something like. You have to splice the new pig tail that plugs into the sensor. It is pretty gay.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #23
peace and big boobs to u

maybee its just me but both of you need to hook up fuel pressure gauges and see what they say
Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #24
just another dime!!!!!

yeah, my truck is running lean everyonce in a while now. but I am going to replace a few things and just try some more sea foam. It seemed to work better after I ran the sea foam through.

on a side note my brothers truck was throwing a code 43 which is a '' knock sensor or electronic spark control circuit fault'' . WHAT IS that? and what should we look for? 93' 4.3 vortec and I think it is a cpi.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #25
peace and big boobs to u

On your 1993 Chevrolet Truck S10 Blazer 2WD 4.3L CPI , the Knock Sensor is located:Under hood, driver side, lower engine area, below exhaust manifold, mounted in engine block

Loss of the ESC knock sensor signal or loss of ground at the ESC module would cause the signal to the ECM to remain high. This condition would cause the ECM to control EST as if there was no spark knock. No retard would occur and spark knocking could become severe under heavy engine load.
Spark retard without the knock sensor connected could indicate a noise signal on the wire to the ECM or a malfunctioning ESC module.
Loss of the ESC signal to the ECM would cause the ECM to constantly retard the EST. This could result in sluggish performance and cause a Code 43 to set. Code 43 indicates that the ECM is receiving less than 6 volts for a 4 second period with the engine running. For more information concerning codes and the self-diagnostic system, please refer to Emission Controls of this guide.

some info found at the zone

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #26
Registered (Ab) User

Good find at the Zone! I didn't know that they had that.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #27
just another dime!!!!!

yeah thanks! the truck won't start now so we are a little lost. but I'm going out to look at it later today so I will post when I figure something out.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #28
bitches and hos

we had one hooked up to it. pressure seems good. It will start right up and even pull hard when you put into gear. but the minute you step on the gas it falls completely on its face.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #29
peace and big boobs to u

prodan the rules are it takes 3 things to make an engine run air, fuel, spark air is a givin(unless your trying to run it under water) fuel which youve tested, so spark is whats left, on a 97 i dont think you can adjust the timing so youre probably looking at a bad coil or the esc module or ignition module, iggy and esc can both be tested at the zone

as to the coil if you have a younger brother around have him stick a screwdriver into the iggy wire number 1 will do, touch the metal then touch the other hand to the block when you hit the iggy switch (from a safe distance) take notice if he jumps around then starts cussing you out this will demonstate if the coil is working properly(if no younger brother is available a dumbass freind or neighboor will do) this test is very entertaining so film it if possible. just kidding
Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #30
Registered (Ab) User

Old 04-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #31
bitches and hos

Hard to figure it is spark because it will idle fine. The minute you give it gas it chokes itself out and dies
Old 04-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #32
peace and big boobs to u

i had a volkwagon beetle years ago that i timed way to advance once and it did the same thing it ran fine at idle but try driving it and and it would choke and putts and go nowhere
Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #33

Re?: obdI code reading

Quote: Originally Posted by prodan
Hard to figure it is spark because it will idle fine. The minute you give it gas it chokes itself out and dies
Does it choke out in Park? or just when it is under load (in Drive/Reverse)?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #34

Hello,

I have a 1993 S-10 4.3 Liter V6
I have a problem...
When i have the truck on and in park the service light comes on.
the truck idles just fine and nothing weird about it.
I checked the code but i don't understand how to get a number from it flashing.
It flashing 1..2.. which i understands means 12
it flashes 12 twice then flashes a 3..5... which im guessing is 35 which is a idle air control sensor circuit fault which i don't know what to do about that. any help would be appreciated

Brad
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #35
just another dime!!!!!

Look it up on autozone.com it's just a sensor right on top of the engine. If I remember right. Lol
Old 04-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #36
little green s10

for code 44 i recently looked at the book at the parts store and found out that codee 44 can also mean that your fuel pump could be crapping out
my 2.2l was reading 44 we changed the sensor and it made it worse so went back to the book and it turned out to be the fuel pump
Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #37

holy crap this was old
Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #38

i have a code 14 that is poping up and i have tryed everything that i can reed think of ask.... any ideas???
14 is
Ect seensor indakating high tempaters or Ect Seensor circuit shorted ???? anyone have anyideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.