Not starting 4.3 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Not starting 4.3

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
Not starting 4.3

Hey guys ok. my 97 s10 4.3, just replaced the alternator i have a system and i guess it wore out it out and my battery. took my battery out charged it up and went and got a new alt. for it. installed it. put the plug back in it and the ground wire i guess (that bolts onto back of alt. and went to start it nothing no click, inter. lights didn't work nothing. this is the weird thing my keys wont come out of ignition. i checked the fuse box. ther was one blown. and i replaced it. i cant figure out whats wrong with it. please help guys. thanks alot!!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 AM   #2

Re: Not starting 4.3

anyone i need to know?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:02 AM   #3

thats really weird, have you tried boosting it? i'm just asking cause if your battery is completely screwed then even after charging it you wouldnt get anything. have you drive threw any water? splashed any deep puddles? I was off roading with a guy once, he went threw this bog and it fried EVERYTHING. smelt real bad, every ground wire looked kinda like a ratty string, and all the positive wires or wires left were almost melting (very hot to touch)
I highly doubt you did that to your truck, BUT if your sure you hooked everything up right, charged the battery/boosted it, and still nothing then I wouldnt really know what to say.
as for the keys being stuck in the ignition, is your steering wheel locked it place? try jiggling your keys while moving your steering wheel left and right, that its ALL the way in park, or that if its a standard, that the little button under the keys didnt break inside
sorry I cant really be of much more help
Old 04-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #4

well my battery works fine i put it in another car starts right up. i havent been through any water lately. i tried the whole wiggle wheel and tap breaks nothin. ther is a button undernieth the key though. but im goin to look at it agian tomarow. thanks alot though for your help. anyone elses i would appreciate it alot.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #5

also my key is stuck in the ingition and wont go into any gear.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #6

I thought about it whiel i was at work today, when you were changing the batt/alternator, did you accidentally pull on any wires? when putting in the alt did you have its weight supported by the wires?
in my other truck (81 k10) I accidentally pulled on the harness for the alternator a little hard and it actually slightly seperated, causing me to have no power.
as for the key issue, I really dont know thats so weird to me, if its not a matter of the truck in park, or pressing the brakes, or the steering wheel locked in position. the only thing I can think of is that maybe its cause of no power? i'd probly try to solve that power issue first and go from there
Old 04-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #7

i dont know i tried today and nothin worked. the key issue is weird but it somethin simple with the power issue.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #8

thats how it usually works, it's something so simple yet you spend hours ripping hair out haha
Old 04-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #9

figured out whats wrong with the starting issue. its my fuse link that runs front post on a box to the starter is shorted out and gotta replace it. i dk about the key thing maybe it will come bak out when i fix it. later
Old 04-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #10

get a wire schmatic start testing
Old 04-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #11

you could have bent the key in the ignition try pullin it out wit pliers but not to har ull end up pullin the ing out it did that on my 94 s10 pickup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.