Need coolant flush? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Need coolant flush?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
S-Clusive's Jester

User is: OffLine
Need coolant flush?

I got a 2000 Blazer with 60k miles and ive had little to no heat for a while. I changed out the thermostat already but i still got nothing. Today I started taking my dash apart to do the heater core because I had run out of ideas. Well during this time I had to go somewhere and I heard like a gurgling sound from the dash on acceleration, from what Ive read theres air stuck in the heater core so I guess that means I need a coolant flush?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
loco hombre

Re: Need coolant flush?

Couldn't hurt. If it's only got 60K, it might be the original Dexcool - ugh! Its been known to gum up and cause lots of problems.

Do an actual reverse flush on the system and refill with a non-GM Dexcool equivalent - the Prestone Dexcool equivalent is what I've always used with zero problems. Don't just haphazardly switch to the green glycol coolant because some people will spout off about Dexcool.

I recommend picking up one of the Prestone or similar "Flush & Fill" kits. It installs a T in a heater line and allows easy bleeding of air when you're filling the system, and a spot to attach a garden hose to at very low pressure so you don't rupture something to do the reverse flush & fill.

That might get the job done for ya, and cheaply, also. If you don't mind spending a few more bucks, buy an actual flushing agent and run it through as it should help clean things up a bit more than water alone.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #3

I had a similar problem on my 2000 sonoma?
After digging through the dash I found that my heater core had been eaten by dex cool. that crap coolant is way to corrosive for the engine. I have switched to the Prestone Green and have had no problems so far. I would defenatly recommend checking out the heater core and switch to a different coolant.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #4
Black SS

Knock on wood, never had a problem with my dex-cool. Granted my truck is 10 yrs old and never had a heater core problem, is probably due to blow though.
I did my Lower Intake Manifold gaskets, and gave it fresh coolant, new t-stat and new water pump so I guess my coolant has been clean since new.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
loco hombre

Quote: Originally Posted by w_sonoma
I had a similar problem on my 2000 sonoma?
After digging through the dash I found that my heater core had been eaten by dex cool. that crap coolant is way to corrosive for the engine. I have switched to the Prestone Green and have had no problems so far. I would defenatly recommend checking out the heater core and switch to a different coolant.
Sigh, here we go again. Exactly the type of comment I mentioned earlier - somebody will come and spout off about a bad experience with dexcool and condemn it without knowing any facts.

Do a search. You'll find many posts with the same information. The original GM Dexcool was not good at all, but the Prestone (or similar) equivalent is totally fine. There is nothing additionally corrosive about the orange coolant. In fact, if you actually did research, you'd know that the coolants are somewhat identical with the exception that Dexcool has the OAT additives which make it less corrosive, not more corrosive, as you claim.

My '96 has been running the orange stuff with zero problems since... wow, 1996. But, I also do appropriate maintenance on my vehicle.

Last edited by nater006; 12-18-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #6

didn't mean anything by that just thought he might be running origanal dex and could be causing problems as it did for me. just found that every gm vehicle i have come across has had "gummed up" dex coolant (funny, gums up, don't know about you, but i wouldn't use a coolant that gums up) and both manifold gasket problems I've seen where where the plastic gasket was touching dex coolant. in regards to the heater not working, if you smell rotten fish you know you have a coolant leak.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by nater006
Sigh, here we go again. Exactly the type of comment I mentioned earlier - somebody will come and spout off about a bad experience with dexcool and condemn it without knowing any facts.

Do a search. You'll find many posts with the same information. The original GM Dexcool was not good at all, but the Prestone (or similar) equivalent is totally fine. There is nothing additionally corrosive about the orange coolant. In fact, if you actually did research, you'd know that the coolants are somewhat identical with the exception that Dexcool has the OAT additives which make it less corrosive, not more corrosive, as you claim.

My '96 has been running the orange stuff with zero problems since... wow, 1996. But, I also do appropriate maintenance on my vehicle.
I agree with you nater. I purchased my 01 Silverado back in January of this year. The dealer had to replace the heater core because the original Dexcool had not been changed in 7 years, and it got clogged up. I just got finished flushing my cooling system, using the Prestone Flush N Fill Kit on my truck a few minutes ago. There was some ugly rust colored coolant that came out for a couple minutes, but I let it flush for 15 minutes or so, and when it was done it was clear water. DexCool isn't the problem IMO, but the lack of maintenance. Drain/flush it every 2 years, and you will be fine. Letting it go 5/150K as GM claims is just asking for problems.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Seeking Insight

I think my truck has the original Dexcool in it (the red stuff) but it is still completely transparent. Do you guys change your coolant even if it still looks brand new?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #9

I have a 98 Sonoma and the Dex-Cool has turned into a gummy mess in the radiator. Though I have had no problems so far I am waiting for warmer weather as of now to do a flush on the system and try to get rid of this before it causes a major problem. I already know that I am not going to put the Dex-Cool back in it I was going to go with the prestone and it seems like it works good from this forum. But my question is what is the best way to get rid of this build up in the radiator? I was thinking about waiting till it stops getting below freezing here and after first flushing the radiator running straight water in the system for a week then draining again and filling with coolant. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
4 wheels aren't as fun

there is a reason no other companies other than GM care to use that type of coolant.

think about it......

if you want long life coolant just use the reg extended life coolant. it's compatible with all coolants too.
what makes the dexcool so different it can't be mixed with any other coolants? yeah, I don't thing I trust that junk.
I would't use the dex cool stuff again if it were free.

Last edited by serpentracer; 03-21-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
4 wheels aren't as fun

Quote: Originally Posted by TruStinger
I got a 2000 Blazer with 60k miles and ive had little to no heat for a while. I changed out the thermostat already but i still got nothing. Today I started taking my dash apart to do the heater core because I had run out of ideas. Well during this time I had to go somewhere and I heard like a gurgling sound from the dash on acceleration, from what Ive read theres air stuck in the heater core so I guess that means I need a coolant flush?
I'd say you def have air trapped in the system.
try running the engine without the thermostat for a few miles. that might let the air get out of the system.

a pressure filling is the only way to ensure you get the air out. that's how the factory fills them.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65183
Old 09-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #12

I personally flushed and swapped over to green.

The original dexcool ate through my manifold gaskets, the gasket on the water pump, and through radiator hoses. I had it flushed and filled every 2 years.

Once all the gaskets went, I swapped over to the green and havent had a problem since. I dont care what they did to the Dexcool to "fix" it, I dont see a reason to run it in ANY car. Why fill it with the orange shit and risk all the problems associated with it, when there are no problems associated with the green stuff and you can flush and fill it with the green and have zero problems?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #13

I need help... i have a 2.2l s10 i want to flush my coolant and switch over to green... ive already bought the prestone flush kit but i dont know where i should put the tee???? and what size?? i hope someone gets back to me... this thread has cobbwebs on it if someone can help it be greatly appeciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.