MFI spider injection help. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

MFI spider injection help.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #1

MFI spider injection help.

Newbie here, I have a 98 blazer lt 4x4 and I just ordered the upgrade MFI set-up. I have a good idea on what I need to do to install it, but if there is anyone that has done it already could you please give me the details as well as any problems I might run into. The more info the better and pictures would be great. Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #2

Re: MFI spider injection help.

Bump. Has no one here had to replace there CSFI (spider injecion )? Or am I posting this in the wrong section?. A response and help would be very helpful. Thank you for your time and help in advance.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #3

User is: OffLine

I replaced it only to find i overlooked to get cracked ign wire. automatically thinking because i had a random misfire it had to be the csfi
Old 09-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
loco hombre

There shouldn't be any difficulties. Essentially, you have to unhook the fuel lines, intake assembly (assembly including airbox up to throttle body), throttle body, and plenum cover. You can probably remove the TB and plenum cover as one, but, if you're replacing gaskets/seals, it takes minimal extra time, and you can put a new seal under it.

After, simply unbolt the existing injector pod, remove the poppet nozzles, and install the new bracket and injector spider. Put new seals (it's like a big o-ring) under the plenum cover and throttle body, reinstall your fuel lines and intake, and away you go.

Helpful hint with the fuel lines: there is a bracket that holds them together and to the block, near the rear of the block. It's held on by only 1 screw I do believe. Remove the screw, and you'll have a *lot* more play in the lines to remove them from the existing injector and out of the way to remove the plenum cover.

Pretty sure that's all there is to it. The coil might be in the way - I don't quite remember. Just unbolt it and swing it off to the side. Distributor, upper radiator line, accessory brackets, etc, shouldn't need removing (typical stuff to remove for intake manifold gasket replacement)

EDIT: incidentally, if you're in the market, doing the intake manifold gaskets aren't too much more work. You do have to pull the distributor, coil, and yank the driver's side accessory bracket forward a couple inches to clear the front driver's side intake manifold bolt, but... it's not terribly more. Especially since the intake manifold gasket kits ($30-50) usually include all the necessary gaskets to do what you're doing, it'd be minimal extra money - just need an oil change, coolant, and the gasket kit. Also, it would give you a great opportunity to clean up the existing intake manifold before installing the new injectors. Again, not a mandatory thing but if you're even remotely in the market and don't mind putting extra labor in, it's not terrible to do.

Last edited by nater006; 09-10-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #5

nateroo6, you are awesome. thankS for the details, that is pretty much what I thought but now i feel alot better about doing it.
meyers 2211 thanks for your input as well but I just recently learned that csfi on these trucks was an issue so up until this point I have gone through everything possible besides the csfi to solve my random missfire problem.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
loco hombre

Quote: Originally Posted by blaze-a-tron
nateroo6, you are awesome. thankS for the details, that is pretty much what I thought but now i feel alot better about doing it.
meyers 2211 thanks for your input as well but I just recently learned that csfi on these trucks was an issue so up until this point I have gone through everything possible besides the csfi to solve my random missfire problem.
They are known to have the injectors stick open (or closed). The retrofit kit you ordered was listed in a service bulletin as the appropriate fix for certain injector issues, but never as a full recall or anything. One of these days, mine will be due also...

The hardest part about it, I've heard, is extracting the old poppet nozzles from the intake manifold. They might be gunked up a little. If you can, perhaps with a shopvac or similar, I'd try and clean the holes up if they're cruddy so the new injectors make the best seat possible. You probably don't want any of the crud, especially if it's any hardened junk, going through the cylinder.

When doing the intake manifold gasket swap, I found that removing the single bolt that holds the lines down near the back of the block was a huge help with moving the lines out of the way. It's a little bit of a PITA to get to but allows a lot more flex to the lines. That was a huge help during the intake manifold gasket replacement, especially with putting the manifold back on and not trying to destroy the neat bead of RTV at the front and back of the block.

Just remember to torque everything back down appropriately, and spend the $30-50 on an intake manifold gasket kit or similar that has the plenum cover gasket/seal/o-ring thing (definitely needed), fuel line o-rings (a good idea to replace), and possibly the throttle body gasket/o-ring. The big crazy o-ring seals that the plenum and Tb use can be a pain to keep in place because of their size. Either a dab of white lithium grease or blue RTV or similar in various places should keep them in their place while you reassemble.

Good luck!

Last edited by nater006; 09-10-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:58 AM   #7

I have pictures of my conversion here:

I have a write up at
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/148720/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.