Loose vacuum line, where does it go? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Loose vacuum line, where does it go?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
ZR2 Owner

User is: OffLine
Unhappy Loose vacuum line, where does it go?

Alrightey, here's what's going on:

I just got my 2003 ZR2 back from the dealer for some collision repairs (long story). I noticed that when the engine is under load, the speed at which air comes out of the vents slows down dramatically. This happens with the heater on, the AC off (just the vent on), and the AC on.

I pop the hood, only to find this (on the driver's side, tucked away in the fender):

Now, 2 questions:

(1) Where does this hook up to? I KNOW for a fact GM didn't put that screw there.

(2) Is this the source of my problem with the vents?

By the way, when the engine is on, you can hear a hiss, almost like the same kind of hiss when the AC is running, but it's all the time, even when the vents are turned off..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:52 PM   #2

Re: Loose vacuum line, where does it go?

DO you have a vaccum ball attached to your hood? if yes, connect the hose to it. I can see a bolt at the end of that hose, which is fine in my opinion, it should keep the system in a vaccum. Try to feel if the hose has suction with the bolt in there, if no, thats good. If yes, get a bigger bolt.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
ZR2 Owner

Well, as far as I can remember, that line was never attached to the hood in the first place. I searched for a hood ball, but there is not one there. Seems kind of weird to have a vacuum line attached to the hood anyways....

And I'm not going to stick a screw back in there.

Anyone else have any other suggestions? Possibly a diagram, or a pic of their setup in their S10?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #4

He wasn't refering to a "hood ball". He's talking about the vacuum res ball. It contains vacuum
so the different swt's and vent doors etc will operate. That vacuum line goes somewhere,
have you looked on the VEC label and follwed the vacuum line to emissions parts diagram ?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
ZR2 Owner

Quote: Originally Posted by patpatpat
DO you have a vaccum ball attached to your hood?
Quote: Originally Posted by bg's
He wasn't refering to a "hood ball". He's talking about the vacuum res ball. It contains vacuum
so the different swt's and vent doors etc will operate. That vacuum line goes somewhere,
have you looked on the VEC label and follwed the vacuum line to emissions parts diagram ?
OH ok, my misunderstanding. I read that a little too literally. Sorry patpatpat. Thanks for clarifying bg's.

Alrighey, where can I find the VEC label and parts diagram? Maybe I can finally get this problem solved for good...
Old 12-08-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
No it's not riced.

that should go to the hood vacuum ball. so if there is not one on the bottom of ur hood right infront of the driver or sitting down right there(its supposed to be on hood but i have seen people replace the hood and just sit it in that little nook behind brake pump). You need to run to a junk yard or parts house and get a ball. that very well could solve the problem..... hmmm i say this and i am looking through pics to see if i could find a pic of your year truck, but i dont seem to see one showing the ball. i know on the 94-97 there was a vacuum ball connected right there to the hood.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

The newer 4.3's don't have a vacum ball, including this 2003. I also have that line, it routes around through the fender, i never did figure out what it goes to though. I wonder if it is for the 4X4 stuff? Isn't that under the battery?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
KeepDreaminXtreme

i don't know if the 4.3's have this or not but on my 2.2 truck there is a small fitting on the driver side fender where a vac line is connected to. Mine came off before and i heard it like you described and took me a while to figure it out then i found it and reatached it and is fine ever since.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:20 PM   #9
KeepDreaminXtreme

the line looks the same as mine
Old 12-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
ZR2 Owner

Quote: Originally Posted by FatBabyJoe
that should go to the hood vacuum ball. so if there is not one on the bottom of ur hood right infront of the driver or sitting down right there(its supposed to be on hood but i have seen people replace the hood and just sit it in that little nook behind brake pump).

Well, this does bring up an interesting point. My hood was replaced in the midst of the collision repairs. And I never really paid attention to this line prior to the collision. So it could very well be that my new hood is ever-so-slightly different than my old one, and doesn't have that ball anymore.

Quote: Originally Posted by rat
The newer 4.3's don't have a vacum ball, including this 2003. I also have that line, it routes around through the fender, i never did figure out what it goes to though.
Then again, it probably didn't have it to begin with.

Quote: Originally Posted by KeepDreamin
i don't know if the 4.3's have this or not but on my 2.2 truck there is a small fitting on the driver side fender where a vac line is connected to. Mine came off before and i heard it like you described and took me a while to figure it out then i found it and reatached it and is fine ever since. the line looks the same as mine
Ok KeepDreamin, I'll look again and see if I can find anything in the fender. I don't think I saw anything when I last looked. Is yours connected to your fender, or is it just hanging loose with a plug in it? Also, when the line was loose, did it affect how your vents operated (air came out slow when the engine was under load)?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:17 PM   #11
Speed Guru

The speed at which the air comes out of your vents shouldn't be affected by engine load like that, the blower motor is electric.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
rat
Got Fuel Rails?

Quote: Originally Posted by Insomnya3AM
The speed at which the air comes out of your vents shouldn't be affected by engine load like that, the blower motor is electric.
Yes, but all of the valves are vacum operated. I think it defaults to the floor vents, so if it isn't getting a good vacum signal i could see it transfering heat to the floor, and this would cause the air coming out of the vents to seem like it is not blowing as hard.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:12 PM   #13

The VEC label is the label that usually is placed right on top of the radiator shroud and
states what size the engine is, what yr the truck is, what emissions are on it with a
small vacuum diagram/ emissions component diagram alongside it.However if the front
was replaced many times the VEC label will be missing as it's a PITA to remove the
sticker and place it on new parts..

I just wonder if this line sends vacuum back to the EVAP tank...
Isn't the EVAP tank/system located at the left/rear corner of the truck ?

One thing you can do and it won't take but a bit of time, is go to your local library, go to
the automotive section, and look in a Mitchell emissions and tune-up service manual
for your yr. If Mitchell isn't avail, look for Motor or Chilton s mait manual for your yr.
In these books are the factory vacuum diagrams and make it really to hunt down the
line. You can make a copy of the vacuum diagram at the library and will always have it
refer to. Only takes a bit of time and it cost very little.

That line must go to something as its attached to a one-way check valve. The
larger line must be coming from a manifold vacuum sorce.

Last edited by bg's; 12-08-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #14
ZR2 Owner

The VEC label is the label that usually is placed right on top of the radiator shroud and
states what size the engine is, what yr the truck is, what emissions are on it with a
small vacuum diagram/ emissions component diagram alongside it.However if the front
was replaced many times the VEC label will be missing as it's a PITA to remove the
sticker and place it on new parts..
It's quite funny you say that. That is EXACTLY what has happened in my situation. The one thing they forgot to do (those stupid people ) is they didn't give me a new emissions label when they replaced the damaged radiator fan shroud. So, no emissions label, and no diagram.

Luckily, I have that on order from the dealer, so I should have that in soon.......
Old 12-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
ZR2 Owner

Quote: Originally Posted by rat
Yes, but all of the valves are vacum operated. I think it defaults to the floor vents, so if it isn't getting a good vacum signal i could see it transfering heat to the floor, and this would cause the air coming out of the vents to seem like it is not blowing as hard.
You are most correct! I did a little test: I always have the vent set to the top position. So I drove around, and then switched the vent to the floor. Sure enough, nothing happened.

Finally, after about 30-45 seconds, the vents finally switched over. But even then, there was still a little bit of air coming out of the top vents. This NEVER happened prior to the repairs.

Definitely an issue with vacuum. Or, rather, the lack thereof.....

So something is definitely amiss here.....
Old 12-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #16
KeepDreaminXtreme

Old 12-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #17
KeepDreaminXtreme

this is where mine is located
Old 12-09-2005, 05:29 PM   #18
ZR2 Owner

KeepDreamin, you are the man!

Thanks a bunch for the pics, that shows a lot! So, is yours hooked up to a reservoir, or just a plug on the fender?

Whatever that piece is, it's definitely not in my truck. I got hit on the driver's side front fender--precisely in the location where your line is hooked up. And if my truck has the same setup, it doesn't look like they replaced that during the repairs.

So it looks like someone has some explaining to do........

By the way bg's:

sticker and place it on new parts.

I got the emissions sticker in today. I looked at the diagram, but that vacuum line isn't displayed on there. So I guess it's safe to say that the line in question is not emissions-related. Well, all the other symptoms seem to point in that direction as well. I will still go look up the entire vacuum diagram for my truck, to verify that what I have is the same as in KeepDreamin's truck (since his is a 2.2, and I have a 4.3).

Last edited by scarface9983; 12-09-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #19
KeepDreaminXtreme

as far as i can tell its just hooked into the fender but i think there maybe something that is in the fender that it is connected to. i'll take a look at mine as soon as possible and get back to you.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #20

Looking through the service manual it looks to be part of the "HVAC Systems-Manual" There should be a vacuum tank in the fender. If only I had a scanner over here I could scan the pictorials for ya.
BTW I too have a 4.3L
I gotta make a sig

Last edited by frknlo.com; 12-09-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:39 AM   #21
Speed Guru

99% of body shop guys are tools. Hack work pisses me off.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #22

i have a 96 blazer 4.3 the nipple on my vacuum ball snapped off..so i just plugged the vac line with blue silicone and a screw...no vac leaks..and i fnally got my heat back ...as long as theres no leaks in the vac lines you will be ok....you can buy a cheap vac gauge and hook it up under the hood and see if the guage needle is irratic or stable..if irratic you got a leak somewhere..if stable your fine...i found over 20 plus leaks lastnight while reapiring my 4wheel drive..took me over 6 hours to track down..i did this by putting die into my air compressor and using a blacklight....turned my truck off..took a soft rubber sheet and placed it over the throttlebody to keep air in the system...placed the air nozzle from compressor and low and behold there was die comming out all over..so the operation began....after all that my truck runs and idles like the day it was made...hope this info helped you..i know this is my first gm truck...i usually build fox body mustangs.....the vacuum in this truck if like the lifeline to its performance as with any newer style car or truck...

Tim
Old 12-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #23

On the newer ones the vacum ball is actually in the fender just had an onvoy in the bodyshop i work at hit in the left front and thats where it was.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:53 PM   #24
ZR2 Owner

Wow, this is a lot of good information, thanks a bunch guys!

Ok, here's an update on the problem from my end:

I stuck my hand in the fender, and started feeling around inside. I located a loose bolt that is behind a rectangular-shaped bracket. So that indicates to me that something indeed should be there, but is missing now.

Also, just in the meantime, I took out the screw that was in the line, and replaced it with a rubber cap. It doesn't sound like it is leaking right now (which is better than the screw, because the screw wasn't big enough to seal the line), but I am still having the same problem with the air coming out of the vents at irregular speeds.

Does anyone have access to a service manual AND a scanner, so I can see the vacuum diagram? I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 12-26-2005, 01:08 PM   #25

did you ever get a diagram? I'm having a simiular problem w/ my 97s-10. I have no vacuum and I don't know where anything is.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #26

I have this same hose hanging loose. The vent is constantly blowing air at whatever temp I have the HVAC set to., regardless of the function setting( AC,vent, heat, heat/defrost or defrost). Also, the vent actuator does not move freely by the contrtol settings. I can move it easily by hand. I'd really like to get this hose connected correctly. I'm going out to dig around my left fender.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #27

I don't know if this is any closer to what one might be looking for or not.
I found it over at Rock Auto. It's for the A/C controls..
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,7044

ACDELCO Part # 1572182 {#16171742}
VALVE,HTR & A/C CONT VAC CONT SOL

Old 11-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #28

Well I hasd to rig it. Since my problem is that the door will not close after coming out oif vent, I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the dash, wrapped the end of a piece of 12ga. ground wire around the valve connector and I just pull it shut.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #29

why not take it back to the dealer and yell at them. should have been fixed right the first time. and tell them it wasnt doing it before
Old 11-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #30
ZR2 Owner

Wow, first off, I can't believe that this post has been risen from the grave after two years! But I suppose useful information never dies....

I reread all the posts here, looks like I never told everyone what happened.....

I finally went back to the dealer and yelled at them, about a week or so after I started this thread. The workers noticed that loose bolt and bracket too, and realized they did forget to put the vacuum reservoir there! So yes flanders20, your method did work:

Quote: Originally Posted by flanders20
why not take it back to the dealer and yell at them. should have been fixed right the first time. and tell them it wasnt doing it before
About a month later (yeah I guess ordering parts through snail-mail is slow, who knew....), they finally called me with the parts. They also gave me a diagram that shows how the vacuum lines are routed in that area. The hose in question (which prompted the starting of this thread) was shown connected to this reservoir, not to some $%^&* screw!

The reservoir is mounted in the same area that Scrat's picture shows above:

Quote: Originally Posted by Scrat

Needless to say, once they reinstalled the reservoir, the vents worked correctly! Quite an ordeal to get this problem solved, but I suppose it was worth it to finally have a working rig.

I don't know if this is any closer to what one might be looking for or not.
I found it over at Rock Auto. It's for the A/C controls..
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,7044

ACDELCO Part # 1572182 {#16171742}
VALVE,HTR & A/C CONT VAC CONT SOL

I'm not sure if that is the same part that I have in my truck. This search is for "1999 CHEVROLET S10 PICKUP Valve," so maybe the 1999 has a different part than my 2003.

I will look for the diagram and post it here if anyone is interested, just let me know. I may or may not have it still, I don't know where it went......
Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #31

Why not take it back to the dealer and tell them they screwed up your truck and you demand that they fix it now or you'll call your Congressman!!!
(like he can do anything about anything)

You have a great argument when you tell them "c'mon guys, it wasn't like this before and it didn't come from the factory like this"...maybe they will actually take a little pride in their work by trying to fix it right!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #32
Starting from scratch...

Quote: Originally Posted by Rockrz
..maybe they will actually take a little pride in their work by trying to fix it right!

Oh....you were serious. In that case, no, I doubt it.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #33
snm

now i know why my hvac isn't working...i'm missing this vacuum ball...i couldn't see it in the fender because its not there...i just thought i was blind...i never figured it had disappeared....duh....now where can i buy one.....

old threads never die...new idiots just revilitize them...
Old 09-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #34

Quote: Originally Posted by Scrat

Im so sorry guys, i feel horrible about the resurrection this page, but i didnt find it necessary to post a new topic about this. this image is basically what my question is about.

From the engine the line goes into a Y junction, from there, were does it go?
i cant seem to trace it, and the gentlemen at Orielys couldnt help me. mine is severely dry-rotted. if you guys could please help me out to as of where this vacuum line connects to it would be greatly appreciated. mine is a 2.2l engine if that helps any?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #35

I am new to the group and found this thread...figured i would resurect it for a 3rd time haha. I noticed my hood HAS been replaced and im hearing some funny vacuum leaks on top of my truck running lean. I have a 2002 Chevy S10 ZR5...I opened the hood and started looking at vacuum lines. The area that the picture is above, i have a vacuum line that is attached to a bolt sticking out from the firewall. Now before I call this "dumb" is this a mix up from when the prior owner replaced the hood...or is this vacuum line supposed to be attached to this bolt? If someone could post detailed up close pictures of each line then maybe i could fix this little issue.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #36

Thanks. This helped me when my hose dry rotted and I couldn't figure out where the end was supposed to attach to. Hidden down in the fender I found the nipple.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #37

Howdy gang,
This is one oft-necromanced thread! I noticed the same issue at that T. The line coming from the engine somewhere looks okay, but the little bitty hose that attaches at a right angle was broken completely, and the other is badly dry rotted. I already replaced the little one, but the longer one that seems to connect to the fender puzzles me a bit.

Does that line actually go into the fender and then to somewhere else, or is the nipple right there where the hose meets the fender inside the engine bay? I can't get a good look at it because the fender, brakes, autothrottle and 'lectrics are in the way, and no one seems to have a good diagram of the parts.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #38
"factory freak"...

There is a plastic vac. resivoir attached to the fender there.
The nipple is on the resivoir itself. It is kinda hard to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.