S-10 Forum banner

Intrepid Fans upgrade

16K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  12sws27 
#1 ·
So my dad and I went to the salvage yard on Saturday and found a set of fans from a 2000 Intrepid R/T which I have been reading online that they have better cooling power than the standard ones. Now I am thinking about buying a new all aluminum radiator so that I can create custom mounts just as my dad did his and keep the stock intrepid mounting system. Anyway I am going to be building my own wiring harness to utilize the dual speeds just as they were from the factory. I have the factory wiring schematic and I believe that I can use the "ground triggers" from a temp switch as well as the A/C clutch wire with a relay to reverse polarity.

So my questions are:

I am running a 180* thermostat so I want to know what degree electric temp switch to run; and I would like to get one that screws into the head. Is that a 3/8-18 NPT thread for the head?

Also does anyone know the factory amperage on the relays that were used in the intrepid for the fans? I know what amp fuses to get, just have to get the right relays.

Thanks

#2 ·
never done it, but i would assume that the relays should be the same amperage as the fuses, or one step higher... you would want the fuse to be the weak point in the circuit, not the relay.

#3 ·
#30 ·
#4 ·
Anything can be made to work, but to make this work your are looking at a lot of work with little good results. Check out jagsthatrun.com or other radiators made for "S" trucks. You didn't say what year, engine, auto. or std. trans. But this radiator is too big, wrong type of mounts, doesn't have a trans. or oil cooler, I don't even know if the hoses will fit, keep looking! On a good note: I run Intrepid fans, they are great!

#5 ·
Sorry I had forgot to mention that..

'95 S10 (98 front end conversion) 4.3L "W" engnie with an NV3500 tranny. I dont want any oil or tranny cooler lines as I am not running them now; and I need an all aluminum radiator.

Thanks

#6 ·
#7 ·
#8 ·
Not to sound like an idiot but I cant really read that page. I believe that I need a 3/8 NPT fitting to screw into the head, but I want my truck to run close to 180* as that is what the computer is flashed for.

#9 ·
ok well the only one i found the comes on at 180 is a spal unit ..its lik 30 found it on ebay....but what i did was got a thermostat (195 temp) and a switch to ground my relay at 210 ....i have dual 12in aftermarket fans ....alot of chevy tech told me that the best temp for my truck 88 s10 blazer 4.3

#14 ·
To answer your questions.. I am wanting an all aluminum radiator because I want to mount the intrepid fans the same way they were originally in the car. I dont want to "hack" or try to modify something to hold them; when I can weld on some small spacers or bungs if you will and bolt it on the right way. My dad has already modified his radiator for this mod for the V8 truck he is slowwwwly building and he gave me the idea; I'm just taking it a step further and creating my own circuits to control the speeds of the fans.

I mainly just need to know what the correct thread for the head is, and what the amperage of the relays are that I need to buy. So far I know the low speed fan main fuse (breaker) is a 40A; and the high speed fan fuse is a 30A.

#15 ·
I dont want to "hack" or try to modify something to hold them; when I can weld on some small spacers or bungs if you will and bolt it on the right way.
My Intrepid fans mount like the OEM fan on the bottom, 3 tabs go in the original location.

The top has 2 simple clamps.

The shroud fits like factory.

The thread in the head is a 3/8" NPT

#18 ·
Not bad; but when my dad brings his radiator from the storage I will try and post pictures of the mounting style he used that I am basically copying.

#20 ·
I like that fan and shroud you built.Isnt it the same design as the s10 blazer anyway.It looks that way,Im just asking.Besides from the ears you put on it.But it looks real nice.Its a great set up.And looks like it has no choice but to cool.Did you buy the aluminum fan for yours yet.Whats next with you project list on this vehicle.

#21 ·
i like that fan and shroud you built.isnt it the same design as the s10 blazer anyway.it looks that way,im just asking.besides from the ears you put on it.but it looks real nice.its a great set up.and looks like it has no choice but to cool.did you buy the aluminum fan for yours yet.whats next with you project list on this vehicle.
english mother ****er, do you speak it?

#24 ·
I'm lost too. I bought the INTREPID FAN, know how to install it but what the ideal controller set up so that it goes on and off and works when the A/C is on? Anybody?

#25 ·
Well I am currently in the process of building my own circuit using the factory specs so that both the low fan and the high work as they should. I can upload my drawing if you would like to look at it and use it if you want to or not. Most people say to use the flex-a-lite controller but I think if you built your own you could save quite a bit of money.

#27 ·
here ya go. A/C line is the green wire for the clutch; you have to convert the positive signal into a negative for it to work with the override switch.

#29 ·
So I am confused on where I can put this SPAL 3/8-18 threaded sensor? I have two knock sensors (one on each head) of the motor, so is there another hole I can use? I have already bought the sensor so there is no turning back now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.