Intake gasket leak - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Intake gasket leak

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #1

Intake gasket leak

I am just wondering I own a 99 xtreme with the 4.3L and I see that I am looseing coolant. I think that my problem could be a intake manifold gasket if so can you loose coolant from there and if so is it a real hard fix on the s10 with 4.3L.

Thank you:

Mark
Old 12-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
I AM CANADIAN

User is: OffLine
Re: Intake gasket leak

Not real hard to do, just takes patience and time, I did mine for the 1st time, not that hard, just tight to work in some areas like the back of the engine near the firewall to get bolts, distributor, fuel line off ect.

Just make sure you torque all the bolts correctly in sequence, I forget the specs but use the search to find out, there's lots of info on here about the manifold/gasket.

Alot of us guys used the Fel-Pro Perma dry kit, comes with nice beefy metal framed gaskets, not plastic like the sock shitter.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Captain DIY

I just had mine fail. I don't have a serious garage to work in so it cost me $600.00

I heard the failure is caused by the Dexcool? Is this going to happen every 6 months to a year?

I didn't lose coolant in the reservoir, but through the gasket. Didn't know it until the motor cooked on the way to work...

Last edited by D.T.; 12-28-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #4

yeah I can see mine coming I think from the intake manifold gasket right above the water pump. I was looking at getting a chevrolet dealership to look at my truck.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
I AM CANADIAN

caused by a bad intake gasket to begin with, they used plastic with rubber like openings for the ports. Dexcool is ok as long as you flush it out far sooner than it's "expected" life span they claim to be 5 yrs. It will corrode the aluminum if air is sucked in or let in by leaky gaskets, rad caps ect. and mixed with old degraded dexcool

Last edited by tt85_GM; 12-28-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Captain DIY

Quote: Originally Posted by tt85_GM
caused by a bad intake gasket to begin with, they used plastic with rubber like openings for the ports. Dexcool is ok as long as you flush it out far sooner than it's "expected" life span they claim to be 5 yrs. It will corrode the aluminum if air is sucked in or let in by leaky gaskets, rad caps ect. and mixed with old degraded dexcool
Should this gasket set last me for a while or am I going to have to replace the gasket every year?? It wasn't repaired at a GM dealer. I had a 2.2L Sonoma and that thing blew the head gasket every other year for $$$$ to repair.

I noticed it when I got the thing. Coolant looked like solid waste junk. I didn't know once it gets aerated that it turns to goo. I tried flushing it, boy that Dexcool is nasty. Stains everything for a LONG time. Organic Acid Technology?

Oh well, learned the hard way.

Dave

Last edited by D.T.; 12-28-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
I AM CANADIAN

Mines been in for over a year with no issues, I try to replace my coolant every year because of extreme temperature fluctuations the engine is exposed to especially where I live.

If you maintain your engine and have the gaskets installed properly with a good set (fel-pro), you should have no issues for many years.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #8

many thank yous for the tutorial, this site is great and I very much appreciate having these threads before wrenching. helps the frustration when you know all the little details in advance!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #9

Most use the FelPro "pro" set, absolutely essential you follow torqueing exactly as called and to wait as long as possible before starting, I waited like 1 day for rtv to cure fully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.