S-10 Forum banner

Injector Spider ?

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Noob17268 
#1 ·
My blazer ('96 4.3L) has been starting rough lately. It's not an electrical issue, rather a fuel problem. When I turn the ignition, the engine "shakes" and "chugs" to start. I've recently had a new fuel pump put in and the fuel filter is new as well. I work part-time at a Dodge dealership and I had one of the mechanics take a quick look the other day and he says the EGR is in good shape and the fuel lines are good as well. The fuel pressure looks normal also. He ran a few tests and said the problem is most likely a leaking "injector spider" but recommended I take it to a Chevy dealer to know for sure. He said that the hard start is due to air leaking in and I'm basically "priming" the engine each time I start it. I do have a mechanic friend that usually does work for me and he can replace this but I wanted to make sure this sounds correct. Also, exactly what part am I looking for here? I did look online but wanted to make sure I have the correct part.

#2 ·
What brand of pump was installed?
What was the fuel pressure readings and did pressure hold?
Should be 60-66psi key on engine off and not drop below 55psi after 10 minutes. If pressure drops to zero right away then the FPR is leaking. If pressure drops slow then injector(s) are leaking.

How to visually look for leaking:
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm...ing-the-spider-fuel-injector?showall=&start=2

Any CEL codes? Is the ECT reading correctly? Have you looked at fuel trims?

If your looking to change the injectors, you would be looking for the
Delphi FJ10565 Fuel Injector Spider

#3 ·
I'm not 100% sure on the answers to those questions. I'm going to take it to my mechanic next week along with the print-outs from the link you sent and go from there...The local Chevy dealer wants $85 an hour and over $400 for the part so I'm gonna take it to my usual guy that helps me out and let him work on it. He was a Ford mechanic for over 10 years so he knows what he's doing, but obviously the labor is much cheaper!

#7 ·
Hey man, I have a 4.3 I just toil out of my truck. Ran good except and bottom end knock. I'd sell you the intake, spider injectors and all for 150 . I'm in south central pa also so I could probably meet you with it

#8 ·
A few more questions...
Will I need the additional bracket that Amazon sells or does the unit come with it? Also..any other parts I'll need (intake gaskets, etc.)?

I'd also like to put new O2 sensors in...there are 4 on that engine, correct? Do you have part numbers for them?

Noob....let me think about that one!!

#9 ·
the bracket is sold separately.
but you can use the old bracket if you want.
the new one is a better, easier to use design though.

#11 ·
I've replaced my intake gaskets a couple years ago.
so I didn't bother replacing the upper gaskets when I
installed my modded 06 MFI injectors a couple weeks ago.
they actually are reusable up to a point.

ive even seen a friend reuse 10 year old upper gaskets,
without any leaks...
not recommending that. just sayin...

#13 ·
Noob - Thanks for the offer but I decided to go the all new route...

I just bought the spider injector, bracket, plenum gaskets, 4 new 02 sensors, and a new catback system (to replace my old catback that rusted out)...so hopefully in a week or two my blazer will be running at the most fuel efficient it ever has, lets hope so anyway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.