If your temperature gauge is always low - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

If your temperature gauge is always low

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
Quad-Turbocharged Blazer

User is: OffLine
If your temperature gauge is always low

I know many other s10/blazer owners have a problem with the coolant gauge showing a low reading. Lately i did a bit or research and i found the cause of the problem.

My temperature gauge always had a reading of slightly over a quarter mark. This is low considering it should be near 210 degrees. After installing electic fans my tempeature gauge show a normal reading of around 200 degrees. I checked with a laser temperature meter which matched the reading of the gauge.

This brings me to believe that the gauge does function but the coolant is not able to reach its normal temperature because of the engine fan. Don't waste your money on a new dash or sender for the gauge as it might make no difference.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:55 AM   #2
Higher is Better

Re: If your temperature gauge is always low

Thanks for the info

my truck has never went more than 2 notches above the quarter mark but the heater is hot and have never had it throw a SES

Now i wont spend any more money trying to get the temp up just a tad
Old 12-22-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
loco hombre

Quote: Originally Posted by nystateofmind27
This brings me to believe that the gauge does function but the coolant is not able to reach its normal temperature because of the engine fan. Don't waste your money on a new dash or sender for the gauge as it might make no difference.
You might have a faulty thermostat. The engine fan (a.k.a clutch fan) won't prevent it from reaching the temp it needs to go to -- unless the thermostat is stuck open, preventing the small internal engine coolant loop that allows it to warm up so quick.

Thermostats are known to stick eventually, and hopefully they stick open instead of shut, but it will cause exactly that. In the case that it does stick open, yep, the fans will make a difference.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
black culture thief?!

most factory gauges read lower then what the engine temp actually is, mostly for the customers sake. A person used to driving an older carbed car sees the car hit maybe 180. Newer vehicles with EFI can safely run at higher temps but most non gearheads don't know that. Most Ford vehicles don't even have numbers on their gauges. MY gauge will say 160 on the dash and the scantool says that the motor is 184 degrees but the computer gets it's input from a different sensor than the one on the dash.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
Quad-Turbocharged Blazer

I changed the thermostat twice, last time 2 month ago. As soon as i switched to electric fans the temp gauge started reading about 200-210 traffic and 170 highway. Before electric fans it was always at 150 or so after the thermostat opened.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:52 PM   #6
fl member

I have a seperate sunpro gauge on my tbi 4.3 and i never go above 180
Old 12-23-2004, 04:55 AM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by nater006
You might have a faulty thermostat. The engine fan (a.k.a clutch fan) won't prevent it from reaching the temp it needs to go to -- unless the thermostat is stuck open, preventing the small internal engine coolant loop that allows it to warm up so quick.

Thermostats are known to stick eventually, and hopefully they stick open instead of shut, but it will cause exactly that. In the case that it does stick open, yep, the fans will make a difference.
I've noticed that will all the engine not heating up posts that a lot of people seem to think that thermostats last forever. For less than $5 and maybe a half hour of work you can replace it and rule this out if the engine is not warming up. Mine got stuck open early last winter and on cold days the engine wouldn't warm up past maybe 60°C. It would get to operating temp fine on warmer days though, so I didn't notice at first.

My temperature gauge always hits 90°C (goes a little over on hot summer days), the rating of the thermostat.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:27 AM   #8
Quad-Turbocharged Blazer

I went through 2 different 195 degree thermostat so i think we can safely rule that out.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by nystateofmind27
I went through 2 different 195 degree thermostat so i think we can safely rule that out.
Ya I didn't mean you specifically, just in general on the forum.

Although one of my friends went through two thermostats last year. He just bought the car and the thermostat was stuck open, so he put another in and it was stuck open. He returned that one and went to the dealer to get a good one.

As nater said the clutch fan shouldn't really have an effect on the engine warming up. Since no coolant is flowing through the radiator while the thermostat is closed. I find that funny when some e-fan manufacturers advertise faster warm up times. Once the engine warms up and the thermostat opens then it starts going through the rad. I could only see the clutch fan cooling too much if the clutch was bad and locked, but that would make a hell of a lot of noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.