how to tell if my frame is bent? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

how to tell if my frame is bent?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
how to tell if my frame is bent?

I bought my truck last year, daily drove/drive it since, been sitting for about a month now though. Am going back and forth on spending my money on building it or selling it. It's a rare truck and I love it but I kinda want something else in the "car" category...but thats neither here now there right now.

When i bought it, i noticed the grill was cracked. no bid deal. started taking parts off the front end. the core support is smooshed in slightly, the hood has a much larger gap on the pass side vs drivers, the whle bed box sits slightly ajar compared to the cab if you look VERY closely, the front metal bumper is smooshed in slightly to the the drivers side and most recently while doing more tear down i found theres what looks to be junkyard chalk pen on the inside of my SS foglight bumper lip meaning it might not be the original one...If I dump like $4K into it for an LSx or whatever engine build I choose to do I dont want it to have major frame issues down the road. I'd also like everything to line up clean and not have gaps/overhang/crooked pieces. I'll post pics when work scheddy allows. also if this is the worng place, I apologize now but there isnt any "frame" section to post in.

i dont want to pay a shop $500 to tell me I'm screwed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #2

Re: how to tell if my frame is bent?

best way i can think of without going to a chassis shop is tape measure and a buddy. take some common points on the frame and triangulate it out, measure from center off front wheels to center of rear wheels right front to left rear and left front to right rear. left center to right front and right rear, right center to left front, and left rear. best advice i can give is measure measure measure measure......
Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

Bed being askew would tell me something was amiss.....
Old 04-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #4

yeah, I only caught the bed the other day when i was washing. its maybe a few mm's but if you look "down" the side of the truck and go back and forth...you can see a slight differance. it drives fine and does not pull to either side. I'll measure it, but nothing seems bent. just the drivers side front bumper mount off the frame (place the T-45 tork bolt goes) seems to be an inch or so back comapred to the other side.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #5

if the damage does not look bad its most likely not bent, most of your gaps could be the core support, mine was in a minor accident on the drivers side and when i beat the core support back it lined most stuff back up, the frame horns bend easy as well
Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #6

man, my 2003 4x4 ls has the same gaps and the bed is off by centimeters. is there a ridiculous gap between your headlight and the fender on the driver's side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.