how to replace ignition switch? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

how to replace ignition switch?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 01:00 AM   #1

how to replace ignition switch?

how do you replace this? i was able to remove the bottom steering wheel cover and locate the switch, but i could not get to the top bolt , do i have to remove the steering wheel and the ignition lock to do this? that sucks! i dont have a steering wheel puller.

Last edited by adobo; 02-06-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:13 AM   #2

Re: how to replace ignition switch?

if i remember str8 yup you don't but i'm drunk right now lol what year is it that your changing it from?was thinking jus the colum cluster only .give me more info
Old 02-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by trixedout1
if i remember str8 yup you don't but i'm drunk right now lol what year is it that your changing it from?was thinking jus the colum cluster only .give me more info
it's a 97. the ignition switch wire harness starts from underneath the foot panel to right under the ignition lock. there are two reverse torx looking bolts holding it in, one on the side and on the top of the switch.

I can't get to the top screw because its wedged in between the ignition lock and the steering wheel...
Old 02-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #4

sound like yup you really got to take off the steering wheel .there are some parts store that rent it out or you can go to a local tool truck and buy it costing bout 20 to 50 bucks depend on what truck or your local sears.jus remember before you take off the steering wheel .make sure the wheel is str8.and if the clock spring got to come out it goes back the same way (once you take it out put tape so it won't spin)if not you'll have to buy a new one and it cost bout $100 and maybe more and reset the air bag system.take off the neg. terminal before you start!!maybe if you got some picture can tell more on how to do it .hope that helps
Old 02-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #5

I just replaced mine 1999 ZR2. No need to take the wheel of.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
Minitrucker

User is: OffLine

i just replaced mine on my 00. all you have to do is pull down on the black box and remove the two clips that are by were the key goes in. Also you have to unbolt the wiring plug that is hooked to all that.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Resident Hardhead

i have a 97 s10 and my mom has a 98 blazer now the steering columns are different so id assume that any advice from 98 up aint so good
Old 04-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
DrC
learn to die...to live

Post Re: how to replace ignition switch?

looks like u got a standard steering column (not tilt)...don't look like u need to remove the wheel on a 97, just need to lower the whole steering column

<start>
For anti-theft reasons the ignition switch is located on top of the steering column assembly and is completely inaccessible without first lowering the steering column. The switch is actuated by a rod and rack assembly. A gear on the end of the lock cylinder engages the toothed upper end of the actuator rod.

1. Remove top and bottom shroud.
2. Remove the column-to-dash attaching bolts and slowly lower the steering column, making sure it's supported.
3. Remove the multifunction switch (turn/wiper/hazard) if necessary.
4. Remove the key alarm switch (if equipped) by gently prying the alarm switch retaining clip w/ a small screwdriver.
5. Make sure that the switch is in the LOCK position. If the lock cylinder is out, pull the switch rod up to the stop, then go down one detent.
6. Remove the two screws and the switch.
To Install:
7. Before installation, ake sure the switch is in the LOCK position.
8. Install the switch using the original screws. Tighten the screws to 12 in. lbs.
9. Install the key alarm switch (if equipped). Make sure the retaining clip is parallel to the lock cylinder. Rotate the alarm switch 1/4 in. turn until locked in place.
10. Install the multifunction switch if removed.
11. Replace the column. Tighten the nuts to 22 ft. lbs. and the bolts to 20 ft. lbs.
12. Install the top and bottom column shrouds.

<end>

As usual, it's never too uncool to disable the airbag system (SIR) by removing the AIR BAG fuse on the fuseblock (after disconnecting the negative battery cable) and disengaging the CPA yellow two way connector at the base of the steering column.

Hope this helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.