HOW TO Increase gas mileage - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

HOW TO Increase gas mileage

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 05:55 PM   #51
I like COOTER

User is: OffLine
Re: HOW TO Increase gas mileage

Quote: Originally Posted by Crew Cab Sonoma

a friend on mine tried that in Atlanta, he passed the code check, until the inspector noticed the telltale, typical non-catalyst stench coming from his exhaust pipes...so they demanded he pass the sniffer test too... he failed...and he was told he would have to pass another sniffer test in order to pass again...regardless of where in ATL he went to have it checked...
well if I end up in that scenario I guess I will just have to get another cat and put it on there but in the mean time I am not gonna worry about it
I only have to do emmissions testing every 2 years and its only 6 bolts and 2 gaskets to remove my cat/straight pipe and swap em around
of course right now my truck is too low to be tested at all so they just give me an exemption for 2 years and that was back in may or june (cant remember) but well see how things go in 2 years
Old 07-09-2004, 06:17 PM   #52
"factory freak"...

too low to be tested?
Old 07-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #53
I like COOTER

too low to be tested?

yes

at MD emissions stations you have to drive over the rollers to get to the spot where they do the diagnostic tests and the sniff tests
my truck sits too low to make it over the rollers and they are too wrried about damaging something on the customers vehicle
it happens way too much already as it is so they are paranoid about it
which is fine because I cant stand it when other people drive my truck anyway because I am to worried about something getting messed up
there is only one other person that has driven my truck since I put in the manual valve body 700r4
and the only reason I let him is because he was the one who helped me put it in and his race car has a manual valvebody tranny so i know he knows what to do/how to drive it
Old 09-02-2004, 10:23 PM   #54

How dose an restrictor in the egr line work and how do i do it? would the computer get mad it i pluged the tube completly?
Old 09-02-2004, 10:38 PM   #55
Quad-Turbocharged Blazer

Reduce Weight! Stop carrying a trunkful of junk around. Maintain proper tire pressure. Don't stop on the gas, rather just let the acceleration build up until the required speed then ease off the pedal. Homemade intake is a must. It should cost around $50 max. Keep throttle body and sensors clean with tb cleaner. Don't go over 65 mph highway and try to maintain a constant speed.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:40 PM   #56
Quad-Turbocharged Blazer

You also have to remember, EPA ratings for a blazer are something like 17/21. If you are somewhere in the middle in mixed driving, you are getting excellent mpg and are very unlikely to see much better gas milage.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:52 PM   #57
loco hombre

E-fan was my best mod, mileage-wise. Can't wait to see what the pulleys do.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:28 AM   #58
"factory freak"...

hey Nate, when you installing them? youve had them in your sig. for a long time....
Old 09-03-2004, 02:55 AM   #59
"factory freak"...

crap, double post....

Last edited by Crew Cab Sonoma; 09-03-2004 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #60

I have a '94 Blazer with CPI, 148,500 miles and am getting 21mpg in mixed driving.

Bought it with 100k on it and haven't touched the O2 sensor (I did just find it however, because it was rattling!). I'm guessing since my mileage is so good that I'm better off leaving it alone (the O2 sensor that is), correct?

I did get tired of cleaning the EGR valve and bought a new one last year. Also had to put a fuel filter on it after it stalled out with my wife and kids. Beyond that, just normal maintenance does the trick. And I love the no payments thing as well! lol
Old 09-03-2004, 01:55 PM   #61
Clean N' Dark

Quote: Originally Posted by jjrambo
thanks now as soon as i get the cast off my arm i can finally do the mod. been waiting t do it for a while.
EGR MOD does nothing for fuel economy.

Check out this link for good factual information with no biased opinions:

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf

Last edited by BlazerLT; 09-03-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:53 PM   #62
loco hombre

hey Nate, when you installing them? youve had them in your sig. for a long time....
haven't had much time between school and work... I have the Crane HI6 sitting here, and the March 3-piece set. was considering sending it back for the 2-piece but.. the money's spent so its not a biggie Going to get them on this fall, for sure, just have been busy as hell...

Guess my "can't wait to see what the pulleys do" should have been worded... "can't wait till I have more time and ambition to put the things on"

Last edited by nater006; 09-03-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:50 PM   #63
Got Snow?

I did the TB plate mod (took off the butterfly) and haven't had any problems, nor with the descreened MAF. The TB plate definitely was a disappointment. The modified air box is awesome (don't waste 200-300 on a intake). Gears are the best idea though and are next on my list. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:07 AM   #64
"factory freak"...

Quote: Originally Posted by nater006
haven't had much time between school and work... I have the Crane HI6 sitting here, and the March 3-piece set. was considering sending it back for the 2-piece but.. the money's spent so its not a biggie Going to get them on this fall, for sure, just have been busy as hell...

Guess my "can't wait to see what the pulleys do" should have been worded... "can't wait till I have more time and ambition to put the things on"
i know what you mean all too well....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.