HOW TO: Change A 4.3 Distributor...Chilton's Way... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

HOW TO: Change A 4.3 Distributor...Chilton's Way...

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
SSRT-S10

User is: OffLine
HOW TO: Change A 4.3 Distributor...Chilton's Way...

This is a Copy of the pdf page in the Chiltons book on how to change a distributor.
I thought I would post it here if It can be useful to others...

Also I would definetly recommend not ever buying the oem plastic dizzy to replace the original one. They are prone to alot of issues. (Mostly the cap screw holes strip out extremely easy.) I reccomnd getting a good aluminum dizzy to replace it and follow the procedures below.

Here Ya go....

Removal Procedure

Caution! There are two procedures available to install the distributor.Use Installation Procedure 1 when the crankshaft has NOT been rotated from the original position.Use Installation Procedure 2 when any of the following components are removed:

The intake manifold
The cylinder head
The camshaft
The timing chain or sprockets
The complete engine

If the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) turns on and DTC P1345 sets after installing the distributor, this indicates an incorrectly installed distributor.Engine damage or distributor damage may occur. Use Procedure 2 in order to install the distributor.
  1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Remove air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement .
  3. Remove the spark plug wires from the distributor cap. (I cant state this enough...MARK THE WIRES FOR WHAT CYLINDER THEY ARE ON USING A WHITE_OUT OR MARKER PEN!!!)
    - Twist each spark plug boot 1/2 turn.

- Pull only on the wire boot in order to remove the wire from the distributor cap.
  4. Remove the electrical connector from the base of the distributor.
  5. Remove the 2 screws that hold the distributor cap to the housing.
  6. Discard the screws.
  7. Remove the distributor cap from the housing.
  1. Use a grease pencil in order to note the position of the rotor in relation to the distributor housing (1).
  2. Mark the distributor housing and the intake manifold with a grease pencil.
  3. Remove the mounting clamp hold down bolt.
  4. Remove the distributor.
  5. As the distributor is being removed from the engine, watch the rotor move in a counter-clockwise direction about 42 degrees. This will appear as slightly more than 1 clock position.
  6. Note the position of the rotor segment.
  7. Place a second mark on the base of the distributor (2). This will aid in achieving proper rotor alignment during the distributor installation.
Installation Procedure 1

1. If installing a new distributor assembly, place 2 marks on the new distributor housing in the same location as the 2 marks on the original housing.
  2. Remove the new distributor cap, if necessary.
  3. Align the rotor with the second mark (2).
  4. Guide the distributor into the engine.
  5. Align the hole in the distributor hold-down base over the mounting hole in the intake manifold.
  6. As the distributor is being installed, observe the rotor moving in a clockwise direction about 42 degrees.
  7. Once the distributor is completely seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the mark on the distributor base (1).
    - If the rotor segment is not aligned with the number 1 mark, the driven gear teeth and the camshaft have meshed one or more teeth out of alignment.

- In order to correct this condition, remove the distributor and reinstall the distributor.

8. Caution! Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
  9. Install the distributor mounting clamp bolt.
    Tighten
    Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

10. Install the distributor cap.
  11. Install 2 new distributor cap screws.
    Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2.4 N·m (21 lb in).
  12. Install the electrical connector to the distributor.
  13. Install the spark plug wires to the distributor cap.
  14. Install the ignition coil wire.Note the correct orientation of the wire boot. Important If the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is turned ON after installing the distributor, and a DTC P1345 is found, the distributor has been installed incorrectly.
  15. Refer to installation procedure 2 if malfunction indicator lamp is turned ON after installing the distributor.
Installation Procedure 2

1. Important Rotate the number 1 cylinder to TDC of the compression stroke. The engine front cover has 2 alignment tabs and the crankshaft balancer has 2 alignment marks (spaced 90 degrees apart) which are used for positioning number 1 piston at TDC. With the piston on the compression stroke and at top dead center, the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (1) must align with the engine front cover tab (2) and the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (4) must align with the engine front cover tab (3).
  2. Rotate the crankshaft balancer clockwise until the alignment marks on the crankshaft balancer are aligned with the tabs on the engine front cover and the number 1 piston is at top dead center of the compression stroke.
  3. Align white paint mark on the bottom stem of the distributor, and the pre-drilled indent hole in the bottom of the gear (3).

Caution! The ignition system distributor driven gear and rotor may be installed in multiple positions. In order to avoid mistakes, mark the distributor on the following components in order to ensure the same mounting position upon reassembly:

The distributor driven gear
    The distributor shaft

The rotor holes

Installing the driven gear 180 degrees out of alignment, or locating the rotor in the wrong holes, will cause a no-start condition. Premature engine wear or damage may result.
  4. With the gear in this position, the rotor segment should be positioned as shown for a V6 engine (1) or V8 engine (2).
    - The alignment will not be exact.

- If the driven gear is installed incorrectly, the dimple will be approximately 180 degrees opposite of the rotor segment when the gear is installed in the distributor.

5. Using a long screw driver, align the oil pump drive shaft to the drive tab of the distributor.
  6. Guide the distributor into the engine. Ensure that the spark plug towers are perpendicular to the centerline of the engine.
  7. Once the distributor is fully seated, the rotor segment should be aligned with the pointer cast into the distributor base.
    - There may be a 6 cast into this pointer, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 6 cylinder engine or an 8, indicating that the distributor is to be used on a 8 cylinder engine.

- If the rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the pointer, the gear mesh between the distributor and the camshaft may be off a tooth or more.
    - If this is the case, repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment.

8. Caution! Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
  9. Install the distributor mounting clamp bolt.
    Tighten
    Tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

10. Install the distributor cap.
  11. Install 2 new distributor cap screws.
    Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2.4 N·m (21 lb in).
  12. Install the electrical connector to the distributor.
  13. Install the spark plug wires to the distributor cap.
  14. Install the ignition coil wire.Note the correct orientation of the wire boot. Important If the MIL is turned ON after installing the distributor, and a DTC P1345 is found, the distributor has been installed incorrectly.
  15. Repeat installation procedure 2 if the malfunction indicator lamp is turned ON after installing the distributor.
Hope this helps...,
L8taz,
Allen

I hope this works on the pics this time....lol

Last edited by Sonomanclature; 04-26-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Fixed pictures of original post
Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Maybe later.

Re: HOW TO: Change A 4.3 Distributor...Chilton's Way...

Pictures are not working FYI.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
SSRT-S10

working on that....
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
SSRT-S10

Hopefully it fixed..., had to extract the pics and then put them on a website of mine...
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #5

Fixed. Thx...sticky!!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
Solid Axle MOD

Edited original post with updated picture info, removed Dupe.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
Slowly but eventually

Might want to just move it to the 4.3 section if we are gonna make it a sticky, which I am all for doing.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
Solid Axle MOD

thought about it but had to look to see if there was one there already, and need to get ahold of the mod there.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
Slowly but eventually

Oh, I didn't mean you specifically, I figured you weren't the mod there or you would have done it yourself already.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #10

I just ordered a Skip White dizzy with alum base to replace cheap plastic stock crap. This certainly will be a nice reference!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
SSRT-S10

Thanks Sonomanclature !!!

Oh and by the way.., for future reference.., how does one edit their original post if it screws up like this one did ?? Or even delete the original post ? Especially if they log off and then come back later to see it messed up?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
SSRT-S10

bump.... I saw someone here that wanted to know how to change a dizzy..
Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #13

After you get this installed properly do you have to whip out a timing light and adjust or does the computer worry about advancing/retarding (hehe) things?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
SSRT-S10

no timing light... you use a diagnostic machine (aka scanner tool) like a modus, solus or gentec or something of that kind...anything that will show timing advance or timing retard. Some list it as cam retard.

I, Myself, use a snap-on solus to set mine. This kind of deal is pretty common if your having to pull intake or change dizzy or accidentally move the dizzy out of phase. Getting it set to +2 or down to -2 is good. 0(Zero) is the best setting.... Motor should crank with a bump of the key if all else is well.

***************UPDATE*****************

I ALSO recommend this as well....

=-> Upon removal of dizzy. Locate the hold down for dizzy. Slide it off and do the mod to it to make it where you can twist the dizzy 30 degrees in either direction. This make it EXTREMELY easy to get it dead on the mark with the scanner. The reason for this is when removing the dizzy, the oil pump shaft never will get back to where it needs to be to be "dead on" back in place. You will have to fight with it and this tip saves your blood pressure(getting mad at it) and time. <-=

I did this to my hold-down tab. I used a right angle die grinder with a coarse bit to remove just enough to make the square part twist left or right in the hold down (it was held in a vise.).

Even the aftermarket dizzys can benefit from this as well.

OR.., just buy an aftermarket chevy hold down and bolt that baby in. It wont grab as good as the factory one will.., but it will work.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
SSRT-S10

Awesome.., Thanks for making it a sticky !!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #16

You might want to note that the distributor doesn't go all the way back in because the slot doesn't line up with the oil pump, you will have to spin the engine over before you can tighten up the bolt on the distributor hold down.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #17

Or long screwdriver (flat head) and a steady hand to turn it
Old 08-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #18

will this work on the older 4.3?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
SSRT-S10

what year model of older 4.3 motor ?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
SSRT-S10

Exclamation Re: HOW TO: Change A 4.3 Distributor...Chilton's Way...

Waaay Older 4.3 model distributor removal and install ...
(I chose a 1993 model S-10 with a 4.3 for the following dizzy R&R...)

EST = Electronic Spark Timing
Non-Est - Vacumn Advance type distributor

Removal:

Except MFI-Turbo
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. For the 4.3L (VIN Z) engine, remove the air cleaner and hoses.
  2. Tag and disengage the electrical wiring connectors either from the distributor or from the ignition coil, whichever is applicable or easier.
  3. Remove the distributor cap (If possible, DO NOT remove the coil or spark plug wires) from the distributor and position it aside. On most 4.3L (VIN Z) engines, it will be necessary to tag and disconnect the coil wire along with the spark plug wires from 1 side (either left or right) of the engine. NOTE: On non-EST equipped vehicles, disconnect the vacuum hose from the distributor vacuum advance module.
  4. Using a crayon, chalk or a marker, make locating marks (for installation purposes) on the rotor, the distributor housing and the engine. Scribe a mark on the distributor body and the engine block showing their relationship. Mark the distributor housing to show the direction in which the rotor is pointing or otherwise matchmark the rotor with the housing.
  5. Loosen and remove the distributor hold-down bolt and clamp, then carefully lift the distributor out of the engine. Note the position of the rotor alignment mark on the housing and make a second mark on the housing to align with the rotor.
4.3L MFI-Turbo
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Properly drain the charge air cooler radiator.
  3. Loosen the charge air cooler clamps, then remove the ducts and hoses.
  4. Remove the charge air cooler.
  5. Detach the upper intake manifold connectors and hoses.
  6. Unfasten the bolts from the upper intake manifold, then remove the manifold.
  7. Disconnect the two screws on the sides of the distributor cap.
  8. Tag and disconnect the coil wire along with the spark plug wires from 1 side (either left or right) of the engine.
  9. Remove the distributor cap and position it aside.
  10. Using a crayon, chalk or a marker, make locating marks (for installation purposes) on the rotor, the distributor housing and the engine. Scribe a mark on the distributor body and the engine block showing their relationship. Mark the distributor housing to show the direction in which the rotor is pointing or otherwise matchmark the rotor with the housing.
  11. Loosen the remove the distributor hold-down bolt, washer and clamp, then carefully lift the distributor out of the housing and make a second mark on the housing to align with the rotor.
Installation:

Undisturbed Engine
EXCEPT MFI-TURBO

This condition exists if the engine has not been rotated while the distributor was removed.
  1. With a new O-ring on the distributor housing and the rotor aligned with the second mark on the housing, install the distributor, taking care to align the distributor body mark with the mark scribed on the engine. When fully installed, the rotor should turn and align with the first distributor housing mark and therefore point in the same direction as before removal. It may be necessary to lift the distributor and turn the rotor slightly to properly align the gears and the oil pump driveshaft.
  2. With the respective marks aligned, install the hold-down clamp and bolt finger-tight.
  3. If equipped, connect the vacuum hose to the distributor vacuum advance module.
  4. Install and secure the distributor cap.
  5. Engage the electrical connector(s) to the distributor or coil, as applicable.
  6. If removed, connect the spark plug and coil wires as noted during removal.
  7. Connect a timing light to the engine (following the manufacturer's instructions) and connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine, then check and adjust the timing, as necessary. NOTE: If removed, be sure to install the air cleaner and hoses.
  8. Turn the engine OFF and tighten the distributor clamp bolt.
  9. Start the engine and recheck the timing to verify it did not change while tightening the hold-down bolt, then stop the engine and remove the timing light.
4.3L MFI-TURBO
  1. With a new O-ring on the distributor housing and the rotor aligned with the second housing mark, install the distributor, taking care to align the distributor body mark with the mark scribed on the engine. When fully installed, the rotor should turn and align with the first distributor mark and therefore point in the same direction as before removal. It may be necessary to lift the distributor and turn the rotor slightly to properly align the gears and the oil pump driveshaft.
  2. With the marks aligned, install the hold-down clamp, washer and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
  3. Install and secure the distributor cap.
  4. Connect the spark plug coil wires as noted during removal.
  5. Install the upper intake manifold and tighten the bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
  6. Install the throttle body, cable bracket and bolts and tighten to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
  7. Attach the upper intake manifold connectors and hoses.
  8. Install the charge air cooler, then connect the cooler hoses and clamps.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable.
  10. Properly refill the charge air cooling system.
  11. Connect a timing light to the engine (following the manufacturer's instructions). Start the engine, then check and adjust the timing as necessary. Turn the engine OFF and remove the timing light.
Disturbed Engine

This condition exists when the engine has been rotated with the distributor removed.
  1. Install a new O-ring on the distributor housing.
  2. Rotate the crankshaft to position the No. 1 cylinder on the TDC of it's compression stroke. This may be determined by inserting a rag into the No. 1 spark plug hole and slowly turn the engine crankshaft. When the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the 0mark on the timing scale and the rag is blown out by the compression, the No. 1 piston is at top-dead-center (TDC). NOTE: If you are unsure when TDC is reached, remove the valve cover and watch the rocker arms for the No. 1 cylinder. If the valves move as the crankshaft timing marker approaches the scale, the No. 1 cylinder is on its exhaust stroke. If the valves remain closed as the timing mark approaches the scale, then the No. 1 cylinder is approaching TDC of the compression stroke.
  3. Turn the rotor so that it will point to the No. 1 terminal of the distributor cap.
  4. Install the distributor into the engine block. It may be necessary to turn the rotor, a little in either direction, in order to engage the gears.
  5. Tap the starter a few times to ensure that the oil pump shaft is mated to the distributor shaft.
  6. Bring the engine to No. 1 TDC again and check to see that the rotor is indeed pointing toward the No. 1 terminal of the cap.
  7. With the respective marks aligned, install the hold-down clamp and bolt finger-tight.
  8. Install and secure the distributor cap.
  9. Engage the electrical connector(s) to the distributor and, if equipped, the vacuum advance hose.
  10. If removed, connect the spark plug and coil wires as noted during removal.
  11. Connect a timing light to the engine (following the manufacturer's instructions) and connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine, then check and adjust the timing, as necessary. NOTE: If removed, be sure to install the air cleaner and hoses.
  12. Turn the engine OFF and tighten the distributor clamp bolt.
  13. Start the engine and recheck the timing to verify it did not change while tightening the hold-down bolt, then stop the engine and remove the timing light.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #21

Quote: Originally Posted by my_nightmare
what year model of older 4.3 motor ?
93-94 Code W
Thanks, i was little scared,
Old 08-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
SSRT-S10

Wow !! I cant believe I guessed it that close (before yaz last post).., to be around a 93 model so I could look it up in my chiltons place.... LOL !!! Hope it helped ya out...
l8taz,
Allen
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #23

Wow !! I cant believe I guessed it that close (before yaz last post).., to be around a 93 model so I could look it up in my chiltons place.... LOL !!! Hope it helped ya out...
l8taz,
Allen
are you magician? crystal ball? thanks.. that will help
Old 08-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #24
SSRT-S10

Lol!! :d
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #25
Wannabe Mechanic

Nightmare - is there a link to where I can do the dizzy mod? I've been doing some searching just no finding.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #26
SSRT-S10

You mean the hold-down dizzy mod ? I didnt post a tutorial on it yet. But it pretty simple...
Tools needed:
die grinder
small die straight tip bit (for die grinder)
a small round chainsaw file

Do what is needed as stated above to get the dizzy completely out of the motor. Once out.., look at the hold down. Most late models 4.3 holders have a square notch that buts up closely to the square notch on the dizzy. Also notice on the holder where the bolt goes thru to make the holder do its job.

The hole is usually the part you take the die grinder to. Grind out an upside down Arc the same width as the bolt hole. Grind out to the point that it looks like it almost will go thru the edge of the metal. (NOTE: DONT go to far out on this arc.., it will fatigue the metal and make this holder useless and it will break when tightened down.) Once done.., use the round file to complete the deal out.

Now take the round file or die grinder to the square shaped part of the holder. Grind VERY LITTLE here.. test it to the dizzy to make sure the dizzy will twist 10-15 degrees either way when in square part of holder. Now bolt your dizzy back in the motor using info above and make sure to use a new dizzy gasket - felpro blue is the best. Screw bolt down but just snug the bolt.., do not tighten it yet. Dizzy should twist over 30-45 degrees nown...(I can hear ya saying it now.., "Damn.., He's good !!" ROTF!!)
Once you got it where it needs to be and engine cranks.., hook up scanner and read the cam retard. Try to get it within plus 2 or minus 2.., Dead on 0(zero) is perfect..., tighten down the dizzy and crank and retest to make definetly sure.
Once down.., your set... drink some breskis and smoke a roll or just take pride that you fixed this issue.

l8taz,
Allen
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 AM   #27

Hi guys this is my first post here. My truck has been giving me heck for 2 weeks. I replaced my distributor when a refurb from Advance. Went will installation #2 as we had to start at TDC. Followed the instructions and now my engine overheated and the exhaust manifold turned a cherry red due to heat. What could've went wrong?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
SSRT-S10

u didnt get it right there..., sounds like timing is waaay off. Sounds like about 180 degrees out to me.
re-adjust the dizzy and make sure it on the mark.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #29

If the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) turns on and DTC P1345 sets after installing the distributor, this indicates an incorrectly installed distributor.Engine damage or distributor damage may occur. Use Procedure 2 in order to install the distributor.
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you for posting up!

My father and I recently replaced the Intake Manifold Gasket on his 4.3L equipped 2002 S10 2WD, to fix its Coolant Consumption Problem. With 94K on the clock and the Factory Original Equipment still in place, we also performed a full Tune Up (Plugs, Wires, Cap & Rotor Set, and new Fuel Filter), thinking this would alleviate its Hard Starting issue as well. Upon completion, the Truck seems to be no longer loosing Antifreeze and it runs like a champ, but the Hard Start Problem remains and we now have a PO1345 Code. I'd replaced a couple of Intake Gaskets on these 4.3L's in the past without any problem, so this DTC is new to me.

I distinctly remember re-installing the Distributor. The Rotor was not pointing exactly where it had prior to its removal, although it was close. My thinking was that the Oil Pump Drive at the bottom of the Distributor meshes with the Oil Pump like a Flat Head Screwdriver: One of two ways. Either the way it came out or 180* off. I thought I couldn't f*ck it up if I was close. I guess I was wrong and I'd just gotten lucky in the past thinking "Close" is good enough.

I have a question though. Is it completely necessary to go through the entire 2nd Procedure to rectify this problem? I am certain that I know the relationship between where the Rotor was pointed when the Distributor was removed compared to where I installed it. (I need to move it one tooth counterclockwise.) Couldn't I simply remove the Distributor, adjust the Oil Pump Drive Mesh, and replace the Distributor back to its "Original" Position?

Again, thank you for posting this procedure. I've already printed it off to add to my Service Manuals in the Shop.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #30

Hey everyone!! So i changed my distributor this weekend on my 2001 gmc sonoma. The pickup had shut down while driving. I followed this post and the truck started right up faster then ever. the truck has a bad miss under load and the check engine light was on. I ran the code and it said p0306 misfire on cylinder 6. i replced plugs wires cap and rotor at the same time. i have went back through and the rotor lines up with the 6 at tdc perfectly. the truck runs and drives just has that bad misfire. Any ideas what could be wrong
Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #31

On the early vortec engines that have the cap where the wires come off of the top you have to unplug the single wire connector to adjust the timing. It is located under the heater box on the passenger side floorboard. Just above the carpet. Otherwise the computer will try to compensate for any movement you make on the distributor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.