How much to rebuild a 4.3L v6 vortec? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How much to rebuild a 4.3L v6 vortec?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

How much to rebuild a 4.3L v6 vortec?

A guy was offering me a 4.3L vortec gm engine from/for an s10/blazer. IT has about 90k miles on it. He said it ran when it was pulled but has spun #6 rod bearing when it was torn apart. its $250 if it can be done for not much id consider buying as a replacement if mine goes bad or for resale or if my parents goes bad in there chevy astro? any ideas?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
goin broke but n style

User is: OffLine
Re: How much to rebuild a 4.3L v6 vortec?

you will more than likely need a crank, deffiently replace the rod and you will need a full gasket kit and a set of rings.

SO IMO its not worth the asking price. I see 4.3 in my area with 90k or less for 500.00. you will have more than 500 in this one.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #3

I am right in the middle of my 4.3 rebuild and if I would have known what I know now I would have gotten a reman shortblock from Kentucky Motor Supply for my 95 blaze. A shortblock is about $650 and a long block is $1,099.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by KoolHandDuke
I am right in the middle of my 4.3 rebuild and if I would have known what I know now I would have gotten a reman shortblock from Kentucky Motor Supply for my 95 blaze. A shortblock is about $650 and a long block is $1,099.
Disregard my previous comment. Did some more research and made a few phone calls and I cannot justify buying from them...sorry
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Gaaoooooo

With good known internal parts I spent close to $700 between having my block tanked/painted, new bearings, new rings, gaskets, etc. etc. I would not waste my time on that spun rod bearing engine for $250. If you ever need a replacement engine I would just find a known good running condition used setup.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #6

yea i agree i got ripped off with my 92. never owned anything american and i thought 900 was a good deal for so much motor and truck since my little 4cyl hondas were like 4k and over but after it died and i met a guy helping me to come up with a parts list, he was gonna sell me a 94 4dr that ran but was rusted out and beat up plus a 94 that didnt run but like almost mint for 500, shoulda done that and had three blazers. but up here s10s/blazers are a dime a dozen in minnesota if you dont mind dents or rust mine was rust free wheni bought it but now the rocker panels arent going to last the summer unless i patch them.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #7

Like any rebuild you need to look at what you're starting with and what you want as an end result. When my '95 died I started with a high mileage engine out of a wreck and since it was out I did a rebuild. The cam and crank were good so I sourced all of my parts from rockauto.com and spent a little over $300 for parts. Master gasket set, main-rod-cam bearings, oil pump, timing set, timing cover, etc. i didnt buy off brand parts all were the name brands, now i did get lucky with them having some of the items as wholesaler closeouts which probalby saved me close to $150. keep in mind that I do have some of the more odd tools like ridge cutters, hones, etc since dad and I have done some engines in the past. Most of these can be gotten as rentals from most parts stores.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
aussie

im in the middle of a rebuild on my 95 4.3l im takin the motor out myself an talkin it to a shop to get rebuilt gonna cost about 1800. im getting all new internals. only thing orginal is block an heads. the shop gonna do an aftermarket cam for me as well. i dont think its a bad price
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #9

I can usually find a blown engine (head gasket or a knock) already pulled 4.3 for about $100 all day every day on craigslist. I've bought a bunch of working 4.3s. With 90k on most of them, I've paid $150-250 bucks. For lower mileage motors - 35-60k, I think they're worth up to about $500. It's pretty much NEVER worth dropping in a rebuild on these unless you work in a rebuild shop and have access to all the machinery and tools for free, and even then, rebuild parts are going to add up to just about the same as a used motor and WAY less work to drop in a pulled motor.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #10

my blazer has 198,000 miles on it and it died and was sitting for about a year and i replaced the injectors and alot of other stuff and have put on like 100 miles since its been running for the last two months or so. since i have the high output motor in mine i would not consider swapping for a lower mileage motor i would rebuild it if needed to or atleast replace worn parts. it has no knocks or ticks or anything that would be a dead giveaway something was wrong other than i know some or about half of the rockers/lifters and pushrods need replacing since there a bit loose and the valve lash cant be adjusted and when i had the oil pan off two of the rods seemed like they had a minimal amount of play and i know somewhere in there i have a slight vacuum leak ( i can hear sucking) but ive heard these motors can last up to 300k so when should i consider looking into replacing some critical parts?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #11

My daughter purchase a 1991 S10 Blazer 4x4 new at a Chevrolet dealership in Bremerton WA. She gave it to me three years ago rather than trade it in on a new car. The S10 Blazer had 150,000 miles on it. She kept good care of the car and had it serviced regularly at the Chevrolet dealership.

The engine ran smooth and quiet and it was in excellent condition EXCEPT it had two bad intake valve seals on #2 and #3 cylinders. The dealership said was normal for a 4.3L V6 after 30K to 50K miles. Instead of replacing the lousy factory umbrella seals, I pulled the motor and had it bored and completely rebuilt. It was rebuilt with a new Comp Cams roller camshaft, 350 V8 forged pistons, and 1995 L35 heads. I have about $2500 in the engine, which includes about $800 invested in the heads that have Manley SS valves, roller rockers and beehive valve springs. Many would say "I could have had a V8" for the same price.

I have about 6,000 miles on the fresh engine and I am really surprised how well it runs. It was built by a local experienced racing engine builder who has built all kinds of racing engines including several 4.3L V6 Bowtie racing engines. He has built three Pontiac V8 engines for me since 1970.

I would have never purchased any Chevrolet S10 truck if I did not known it's history. Since my 1991 S10 Blazer 4x4 was a gift and I knew the engine, wheels, body and interior was in excellent condition, I had less to lose if the engine did not meet my expectations.

The spare tire on my 1991 S10 Blazer 4x4 has never been on the ground and it still has 1991 air in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.