How Do You Replace Fuel Pressure Sensor? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How Do You Replace Fuel Pressure Sensor?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
2001 ZR2 S!O

User is: OffLine
Question How Do You Replace Fuel Pressure Sensor?

I have a 2001 4,3 S10 Pickup. I need to replace the fuel tank pressure sensor. Engine Light came on with the code P0452: Evaporative Emissions System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low Input.

The first instinct is gas cap. Well i just got a new one and it didn't fix problem. I know its not gas cap because when i have around a quarter of gas left my gas gauge freaks out and starts bouncing around empty. Then the engine light comes on after ive been running it around a quarter of gas. And then it reads the same code....P0452. So it has to be the sensor, people say check wires and bblah bla but my gauge would be off all the time if it was wiring. And my gas gauge wouldn't just freak out when im running low on gas and the check engine light would come on more often. I try to keep the tank full and when i do the problem never occurs. But I also know the EVAP is connected to the overall performance of the throttle body so I would like to get this fixed and maybe improve gas mileage.

So i want to know how to change the Fuel tank pressure sensor. I was wondering if you have to take the fuel pump out. Is the sensor attached to the fuel pump? They say you have to drop gas tank to reach the sensor, well i have Zr2 suspension and i can reach this electrical harness on top of the tank with my hand and im not sure if that's the sensor. It would be nice if the sensor was separate from the fuel pump, if so i think i might be able to change it without dropping the tank.

If anyone has detailed step by step instructions on how to replace this sensor, it would be highly appreciated. If you would like to email me an answer or a url or pictures on how to, my email is and1_player547@yahoo.com
Old 07-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #2

Re: How Do You Replace Fuel Pressure Sensor?

Quote: Originally Posted by ZR2 S10 MAN
I have a 2001 4,3 S10 Pickup. I need to replace the fuel tank pressure sensor. Engine Light came on with the code P0452: Evaporative Emissions System Pressure Sensor/Switch Low Input.

So i want to know how to change the Fuel tank pressure sensor. I was wondering if you have to take the fuel pump out. Is the sensor attached to the fuel pump? They say you have to drop gas tank to reach the sensor, well i have Zr2 suspension and i can reach this electrical harness on top of the tank with my hand and im not sure if that's the sensor. It would be nice if the sensor was separate from the fuel pump, if so i think i might be able to change it without dropping the tank.

If anyone has detailed step by step instructions on how to replace this sensor, it would be highly appreciated. If you would like to email me an answer or a url or pictures on how to, my email is and1_player547@yahoo.com
I've attached service manual extract to change sensor on 02 S10 pickup. You'll note procedures say to remove the box. There are no procedures for the 01 pickup - just for 01 S10 with utility-bed and crewcab - and you drop the tank on those trucks.

It appears the sensor is held in-place by friction of at least one o-ring seal. If you can reach it - and there's clearance between the sensor and bed - I'd try to pull it free.

If you can get it out without major effort - you might try shaking and tapping the little guy against something solid and even giving it dose of MAF spray to see if it can be revived.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 12-27-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
2001 ZR2 S!O

Quote: Originally Posted by far2grumpy
I've attached service manual extract to change sensor on 02 S10 pickup. You'll note procedures say to remove the box. There are no procedures for the 01 pickup - just for 01 S10 with utility-bed and crewcab - and you drop the tank on those trucks.

It appears the sensor is held in-place by friction of at least one o-ring seal. If you can reach it - and there's clearance between the sensor and bed - I'd try to pull it free.

If you can get it out without major effort - you might try shaking and tapping the little guy against something solid and even giving it dose of MAF spray to see if it can be revived.

So theres only one wiring harness on the tank and the FPS is attatched to it?
So the sensor is just sitting right on top of the tank attatched to the top of the fuel pump? Is that what your pictures are showing? thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by ZR2 S10 MAN
So theres only one wiring harness on the tank and the FPS is attatched to it?
So the sensor is just sitting right on top of the tank attatched to the top of the fuel pump? Is that what your pictures are showing? thanks
Should be two connectors on top fuel pump module - one (2 wire) to run pump and provide fuel tank quantity and other (3-wire) for EVAP fuel tank pressure.

I responded to your PM - can email fuel system description - it exceeds forum post limits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.