How do you adjust the tps - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How do you adjust the tps

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
NEVER2LOW

User is: OffLine
How do you adjust the tps

How do you adjust the volts for the tps? I have a brand new holley oem tbi. I'll post a pic of it later.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Good Bye SonomaST

Re: How do you adjust the tps

what do you mean? are you using the stock TPS? whats wrong with it? im lost, explain and we can help more. cant adjust a TPS sensor as far as i know, you can replace them
Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Banned

the ones on our trucks arent adjustable like say on a fox body mustang or rx7... our basically just get replaced, no adjustments.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Will work for turbo parts

TPS reset:
with key ON engine OFF - unplug the TPS for 30 seconds
turn key OFF - plug TPS back in

This won't help if the voltage range for your throttle position sensor is different.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Unregistered User

Quote: Originally Posted by 4x4zr2GA
the ones on our trucks arent adjustable like say on a fox body mustang or rx7... our basically just get replaced, no adjustments.
You don't adjust them because there was anything necessarily wrong with them, it was to set more or less "calibrate" the TPS and set it right at the voltage for closed throttle, so when opened the PCM would respond quicker. People do the mod more or less to compensate for the tolerance in how the TPS mounts, because it might not be right at 0% throttle. To do this you would have to modify the TPS screw holes, and check the closed voltage with a mutimeter while adjusting it to the correct voltage... but its only for older trucks.

Newer OBD2 trucks throttle position is set by the PCM software, it starts out at 0% automatically, no adjustment is needed.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #6

just make sure your throttle body is clean and CAN close to 0% throttle.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
NEVER2LOW

Sorry I didn't have enough time earlier to post up all the details. Its a brand new Holley oem style TBI which came with a new tps on it. In the instructions it says to adjust the tps to .65 volts but it does not say how.
There is a screw holding on the gold bracket which turns when you give it throttle. I'm wondering if losening that screw and moving the gold bracket a bit and retightening will change the volts.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
NEVER2LOW

Its a 92 4.3 ecu so it should be OBD1
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #9

Just give it a try. Did one on a 91 350 in a fullsize years back and it was close. If not unplug it and check it with the TB closed.(ohm meter) Then either find someone with a 95 or older S10 with the TB and ask them to read theirs. If not get one of the HAYES or CHILTON manuals manuals and do some reading.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

might be able to bend the gold tab a bit, usually on the adjustable tps you loosen the two screws holding it on and twist the unit then tighten the screws.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Overhead Console Expert

on second gens they can be adjusted let me find the thread....

http://www.s10planet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
Unregistered User

any cars TPS could be made to be adjusted, but on 2nd gens its not necessary
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #13

i got an 88 gmc jimmy 4.3l i just put on a new tps how to i check the volts someone got a step by step to what to do to set it right
Old 08-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #14

Not my write up,but found this on anothere forum :

Adjust your TPS and I.A.C. on your TBI / MPFI
Authored by: Jay Vessels
Tools needed:
* Torx bits or drivers (T-10, T-15, maybe more depending on the application)
* Voltmeter (digital is best, but a really accurate analog will work)
* Tachometer (the one in the vehicle will work fine if equipped)
* Wrenches and an awl (various sizes, only if the idle speed hasn’t ever been set)

Theory of Operation – (lengthy)
A common myth about fuel injected vehicles is that the idle speed is fixed and cannot be adjusted. This isn’t quite true; there is a setting. It's called minimum air, which is adjustable on TBI and MPFI vehicles. This setting sets the lowest-possible idle speed for the vehicle. The ECM uses the IAC (idle air controller) to raise the idle speed from this adjustment. So, while the exact idle speed isn’t really adjustable, the minimum idle speed is.
Why adjust the idle speed? Isn’t the ECM supposed to do that? Yes it does and it does do a good job, but has to have a starting point. That starting point is called minimum air, or the smallest amount of air allowed to enter the engine with the throttle closed. The ECM can only add air to that minimum setting. If that setting is too high, the ECM can’t slow the engine down to an acceptable idle. If the setting is too low, the ECM may not be able to keep the engine running under certain conditions.
Another reason to adjust minimum air is if there has been some repairs to the fuel system. If the throttle body has been removed (i.e. rebuilt or cleaned) or the TPS (throttle position sensor) has been replaced or otherwise disturbed (i.e. loosened the mounting screws unintentionally -- it happens) then minimum air should be adjusted. Any changes that could affect idle speed or idle quality, like performance upgrades or replacing leaking vacuum lines, should be followed by setting minimum air.
This adjustment, once learned, only takes a few minutes. It rarely has to be adjusted, but it takes so little time to check (and adjust, if needed) that there’s no reason not to do so.

Checking & Adjustment Instructions
To establish minimum air, the idle speed must be set first. The idle speed screw is sealed with a cap from the factory. This should be removed by removing the throttle body and using an awl to pry the plug off. If this seems scary, have it done. It’s not difficult but it’s not worth risking damage to the throttle body or human flesh to remove the plug. Once the plug has been removed, reinstall the throttle body.
Assuming the idle speed screw is accessible and the throttle body is installed, jumper pins A&B on the ALDL (Assembly Line Data Link) connector under the dash. Pins A&B are on the upper-right-hand side. These are the same two pins to jumper to read codes from the ECM. Now turn the key on (the Check Engine light should be lit) and leave the key on for at least 30 seconds. The computer will extend the IAC plunger all the way out to allow adjustment of the idle speed.
After the 30 second wait, unplug the IAC (square 4-pin connector on the throttle body) WHILE THE KEY IS STILL ON. This prevents the ECM from adjusting the idle speed while you make your adjustments.
Block the drive wheels, set the emergency brake, and start the engine. Set the idle speed by adjusting the idle speed screw. The engine should be at operating temperature for this. The exact setting is on the emissions label on the radiator shroud, but in general, the idle speed should be about 500 RPM in Drive, 700 in Park / Neutral, or if you have a manual transmission, somewhere between 600-800 RPM. Remember that the truck is running during this adjustment, so stay clear of the fan, and make sure it can’t roll or otherwise be put into gear while this is done.
Once the minimum idle speed is set, turn the engine off, reconnect the IAC, and remove the jumper from the ALDL connector. The TPS minimum voltage must now be set. Turning the idle-speed screw may have moved the TPS idle voltage away from the specification, so it should be adjusted next.
Connect a voltmeter between pins A (usually dark blue) and B (usually black, or black/pink) of the TPS, and turn the key on. Don’t start the engine. Loosen the two torx screws holding the TPS in place, but don’t remove them. Rotate the TPS until the voltmeter reads between 0.45 and 0.55 volts, with 0.50 being ideal. Tighten the mounting screws (carefully, they thread into soft aluminum) and re-check the voltage to make sure it’s still within range.
That’s it. After the procedure is done once, it’s easy to remember and do. I hope this helps.

A worthwhile adjustment I think.
Mine measured .546 volts at idle and 4.45 volts wide open throttle. The reading for idle should be .8 or less and the reading for WOT should be at least 4.5 volts.
I used a drill to file the holes for counter clockwise adjustment.
I now have .747 volts at idle and 4.62 volts at WOT
Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #15
28Hz

Quote: Originally Posted by raven2510

thats bad ass im gonna try that tomorrow
Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
"factory freak"...

most of the 80's model GM TPS sensors were adjustable.
by the very early 90's, most were non-adjustable.
GM redesigned the software to accept a wider variable range
for the idle position, and the computer would quickly learn,
and use whatever voltage (within reason) as its std. reference.

the early TPS sensors had slotted mounting holes, and using a
scan tool was the quickest way to set them.
once idle position was within acceptable range, you would
hold the throttle wide open to make sure the WOT minimum
voltage was being achieved, if not, re-adjust until you
got both right...
Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #17

Quote: Originally Posted by raven2510

so can this be done on an OBDII? Or will the computer correct it like stated above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.