High Mileage Oil? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

High Mileage Oil?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
High Mileage Oil?

I've got a 2002 4.3L S10 that just rolled over 100K miles. I change my oil every 3K miles using Castrol GTX, but I can't help but notice the Castrol GTX High Mileage every time I buy my oil. It says its for engines over 75,000. I'm not in denial, but I don't feel like I have a "high mileage" vehichle. My truck runs great (knock on wood) and I keep up the maintenance. On Castrol's website it seems that one of the main things the High Mileage oil does is reduces burnoff. My truck doesn't really burn off any oil. My question is, Is there a good reason that I should use High Mileage oil over regular GTX? I like the regular GTX and like I said, my truck runs good the way it is. Like they say, "if its not broke don't fix it." Has anyone used the Castrol high mileage oil and can comment on how they like it or whether it helped, hurt, or did nothing?

Last edited by S10N8R; 06-18-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Sans S10

Re: High Mileage Oil?

Well if you're not burning oil and you're running fine I wouldn't switch.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

Some of the High Mileage oils have seal conditioners as well as sludge cleaners of sorts....
Old 06-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Registered Hoosier

I use regular Valvoline in my S10s. The 92 has 357,000 miles and I never add oil to it between changes. Last change was almost a quart low @4.000 miles, but the drain plug gasket was leaking.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

Nice Rick!!!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #6

we use penzoil in my truck, it has 72000 on it
we use penzoil high mileage in my sisters honda with 160000
it helps it run smoother
regular penzoil in the trailblazer and nova as well
and we use mobil 1 synthetic in my dads truck with 80000 miles
ive been thinking of switching to synthetic
my dad really likes it
even runs it in our 72 john deer 110
really helps that thing
Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
"You Boyz Like Mehico?!"

this sounds like abuse but I'm running at 270k miles and oil changes every 20k or so using normal oil >_> now that i just rebuilt my motor from a blown head gasket (external coolant leak) i plan to change it every 3k using the same oil.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:40 AM   #8
Stroker Ace

Royal Purple 10W-30 in my truck, you can't beat the engine smoothness with a stick.

But I wouldn't use it in high mileage rides, cause the thinner synthetic oils find its way out of older worn gaskets, which intern you have leaks. Like lesterl said the high mileage oils conditions the older dry gaskets. So I would go with that. Castrol High Mileage is good stuff too.

Last edited by frtaylor9; 06-19-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
It's "Neanderthal"

I used the Castrol High Mileage. I noticed no change in oil consumption, it still used the 1/2 quart in 3,000 miles as it always did, and of course the motor didn't run any different .
I think that anybody who can notice a difference in the way the motor runs with a synthetic vs. a dino oil is dreaming.

Last edited by SH-60B; 06-19-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #10

most seal conditioners are to prevent leaks not stop them.most stop leak oil additives state that you can not fix a seal thats already cracked.

Last edited by cstiles; 06-19-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #11

ive always used mobil 1 5-30 high mileage with a mobil 1 filter

Last edited by Chevylean; 06-19-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
UN-BANNED B!TCHES!!!!!

castrol syn blend every 3000 miles here (with a delco filter) every time i change it, it comes out golden still and i got 200k+ miles on mine....

granted i change my oil every 2 months
Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #13

I used to get Castrol GTX High Mileage, but now I buy whatever is on sale at the local parts store and I change my oil every 3-4K miles. I have 150K miles on it
Old 06-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by 4point3
I used to get Castrol GTX High Mileage, but now I buy whatever is on sale at the local parts store and I change my oil every 3-4K miles. I have 150K miles on it
autozone just about always has high mileage oil & filter on sale for 19.99 thats what i do
Old 06-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #15

I use high mileage oil in my BlaZeR2.It has 130,000 miles on it.I only use it because my oil lines leak when I use anything else.The sealant additives do work.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #16

i have 163k on my tutu doesnt burn oil or skip a beat
Old 06-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #17

I use royal purple with K&N filter, only 34k miles on original engine tho lol
Old 06-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #18

Honestly plain n simple. OIL IS OIL! synthetic, plain jane, high mileage. for a Daily driver, again OIL IS OIL. like u say, if it aint broke dont fix it. only reason to switch to synthetic (I FEEL) is to lengthen oil changes b/c i admit its great at holding up. dont get me wrong full sythetics r good but if like u say ur change it every 3000miles religously. then dont even waste the extra money! Personally i'd feel better for my engine having fresh clean new plain jane oil is alot better than 3k or 5k sythetic oil anyday!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #19

Got a 2002 Sonoma, 4.3 with auto and 156,000 miles. Never used high-mileage oil, don't see the point because I can't figure out the difference. Long as what you're doing works, just keep doing it.

Think tlcooper had it right, among others. We have members with 300k+ miles on their rides. More than specific oil or filter brand, what keeps our rides going is regular attention and proper maintenance. Long as you use a good name-brand oil and filter and change them regularly, they'll keep on going. I doubt if many members here have a problem letting their oil level run low. There are some people who don't give this stuff a thought, to the extent that they're lucky to see 100k miles at all.

Recently switched to synthetic oil because the price of regular oil in these parts is running $4.00-$4.25 per quart. I found Castrol synthetic at Wal-Mart for about $5.00 per quart and I figure at that price difference, I might as well. Motor's quieter and the oil probably holds up to 100+ temps a little better. As long as the price of regular oil stays high, I'll probably keep using it.

Grease and oil are cheap. Rebuilds are expensive.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #20

Oh, as an aside, I've gone on mostly Castrol GTX 10W-30 to the present, used Purolator or Fram filters. The motor will use more oil in the summer than in the cooler months, about 1/2 quart per 5000 miles, which is my normal oil change interval. Also grease it every oil change. Synthetic cuts oil consumption to zero.

Also running synthetic in transmission and differential. Had the tranny totally flushed at 150,000 and saw engine rpm drop about 100-200 rpm at cruising speeds. Possibly the old fluid allowed for some slip. I do notice less noise from the diff with synthetic gear oil. There may be a downside, but I haven't seen one yet.

This is worth exactly what you're paying for it, just one man's experiences.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #21

Quote: Originally Posted by tomcj1
Got a 2002 Sonoma, 4.3 with auto and 156,000 miles. Never used high-mileage oil, don't see the point because I can't figure out the difference. Long as what you're doing works, just keep doing it.

Think tlcooper had it right, among others. We have members with 300k+ miles on their rides. More than specific oil or filter brand, what keeps our rides going is regular attention and proper maintenance. Long as you use a good name-brand oil and filter and change them regularly, they'll keep on going. I doubt if many members here have a problem letting their oil level run low. There are some people who don't give this stuff a thought, to the extent that they're lucky to see 100k miles at all.

Recently switched to synthetic oil because the price of regular oil in these parts is running $4.00-$4.25 per quart. I found Castrol synthetic at Wal-Mart for about $5.00 per quart and I figure at that price difference, I might as well. Motor's quieter and the oil probably holds up to 100+ temps a little better. As long as the price of regular oil stays high, I'll probably keep using it.

Grease and oil are cheap. Rebuilds are expensive.
I couldn't agree more. I used to work at an auto parts store and I have tried most of the gimmicks that have come out, but never seen any difference. If you have been running the same oil for years without any trouble, DO NOT CHANGE IT. 100K miles in your engine could be the same as 60K miles in another engine that wasn't taken care of.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #22
u mad brah?

I've definitely seen a difference in performance when switching over to full synthetic. When I bought my truck it had Castrol GTX in it, I switched over to Pennzoil Ultra, and on my next oil change I'll be using Castrol Edge with Titanium. I saw an increase in gas mileage (about 2mpg), as well as better performance and throttle response. I see no reason to use conventional oil, it leaves crap inside your engine..full synthetic prolongs engine life and gets all that crap out..not to mention it lasts at least twice as long as conventional oil, so you're really not losing any money by switching over.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #23

i got an 01' 4.3 stick shift with about 140k miles, i want to put the best performane wise oil and filter?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #24

I don't know how much difference it will make in a truck, but my vette runs about 10 degrees cooler with synthetic
Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #25

Somebody correct me if I have this wrong. Unless oil is specifically marked "non-detergent", we should assume it is detergent oil i.e. contains detergents to prevent sludge buildup. My understanding is that applies to all motor oils whether conventional or synthetics.

I'm not talking about machine oils, which are a different matter. I'm speaking strictly of motor oil in this context. Am I alone in thinking this way?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #26

I have heard once you go full synthetic you cant go back.True or false? My mechanic doesn't like full synthetic,my brother was using it in his 02 Tahoe and had a lifter getting loud and our mechanic told him to stop using the full synthetic. I plan to start using synthetic blend or high mileage on my next oil change.139xxx miles 4.3L .I recently got my s10 and dont know how it was treated by prior owners that's why I'm switching.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #27

Thumbs up Re: High Mileage Oil?

Quote: Originally Posted by tomcj1
Somebody correct me if I have this wrong. Unless oil is specifically marked "non-detergent", we should assume it is detergent oil i.e. contains detergents to prevent sludge buildup. My understanding is that applies to all motor oils whether conventional or synthetics.

I'm not talking about machine oils, which are a different matter. I'm speaking strictly of motor oil in this context. Am I alone in thinking this way?
I would agree with you on that.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #28

Actually I pulled the nastiest air filter I have ever seen out of my s10 saturday.So maybe I do know how it was treated prior to me getting it. Perhaps not to good.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #29

Can't see why you couldn't run synthetic. I've switched back and forth probably three or four times, no ill effects. If you question how the engine was treated, try to pull a valve cover and see what kind of crud buildup you have if any. Or, pull off your oil filler or PCV valve, stick a mirror in there and see what you can see.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #30

I was planning on pulling the valve covers soon.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #31
MyZR@

I have a 2003 Zr2. Just turned 250,000. Runs great. I have had all the normal problems with high mileage. I have used Mobil 1 high mileage for years, engine runs great. Would not use anything else.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #32

Quote: Originally Posted by NCR_xtreme
i got an 01' 4.3 stick shift with about 140k miles, i want to put the best performane wise oil and filter?

You could just switch the oil, tranny fluid, and gear oil to all synthetic. I remember seeing a 99 SS Camaro with this done to it. It picked up 9.5 hp at the rear wheels. Saw an old Nova one time pick up 17 hp at the wheels. I actually talked to the guy with the Camaro on LS1tech.com He said it was in an air conditioned shop and all testing was done the same day. May not do much for our trucks but it does for some vehicles.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #33
Chevrolet Enthusiast

I personally, along with many others that I have talked to, would never use high mileage oil in a motor that doesn't have at least 150,000 miles on it. There is no need to. So long as you keep your service intervals constant (3,000-5,000 miles) and you buy oil that isn't store-brand and use a good quality oil filter (NOT Fram), you shouldn't have any issues running normal oil (dyno or synthetic) up to 150,000 miles. Then I would make the switch to high mileage.

Since you just rolled 100,000 miles on your odometer, here is my suggestion.

Keep using the Castrol GTX (regular conventional) that you are using now, and your 3,000 mile interval. Consider switching to the full synthetic Castrol. I don't know what brand of filter you use, but consider using Wix, CarQuest Blue, Mobil 1 or Purolator PureOne (the yellow one). Yes, they are expensive filters but the quality of these filters speaks for themselves. I cut a Wix open after being on a car for 7,000 miles and the filter element looked brand new (it was oil stained, of course). There was absolutely no damage done to anything. It looked perfect, minus the fact that there was oil in it. ( :P ) Good quality filters play a huge role in how long your service intervals can be and how clean your oil stays throughout the time it's inside your engine. Me personally, I run Mobil 1 Extended Performance and a Wix #51036 oil filter on a 5,000 mile interval. Stays golden brown throughout the entire change and it burns NO oil. No leaks, minus a screwed up drain plug from the truck being taken to a quick lube before I owned it. When you hit 150,000 miles, switch to the high mileage version of the oil you have now.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #34
Better post-em.

User is: Online

i switched my 2.2l with 170XXX miles on it from conventional oil/high mileage to full synthetic. its lifters are typically very chattery when its cold (still its) but since its synthetic it seems to get moving quicker. takes alot less time for it to get to the leaky lifters and pump them back up so the engine runs smooth.

havent noticed any more or less oil consumption (maybe 1/2 qt in 3-4K oil changes)

now in my chevette if i dont run conventional high millage oil it tends to leak more (lets just say expell - have no idea where its comming from cuz it leaks like everywhere)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.