high idle - S-10 Blazer 4.3 Vortec CMFI - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

high idle - S-10 Blazer 4.3 Vortec CMFI

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2002, 11:25 PM   #1

high idle - S-10 Blazer 4.3 Vortec CMFI

can anyone help me diagnose high idle problem on 93 S-10 blazer 4.3 vortec CMFI.

I happen to have a GM Tech 2000 diagonostic unit.

Continue to receive code 35 IAC even after replacement of IAC with new one.

lately, engine idles at approx. 1,100 rpm. Tech 2000 will increase rpm but will not lower rpm, seems to be at limits of low range adjustability.

only change recently has been addition of light weight flex fan and removal of fan clutch but do not believe this is causing/contributing to high idle.

Also receiving code 45, O2 sensor - rich exhaust. Have recently replaced O2 sensor with new one. Continue to receive code 45.

Is there a manual idle adjustment anywhere ?

any help/advice greatly appreciated please.

tommyT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2002, 11:48 PM   #2
2 Litre Terror

User is: OffLine
You sound pretty technically versed but sometimes the simplest things are often overlooked. Have you disconnected BOTH battery cables for more than 1/2 hour?. Try this and see what happens...Would not clear my service light on my truck till both battery cables were disco'd. Other than that thats about all I can figure being as you say you replaced the parts that are coding bad but didnt mention clearing the old codes...Let me know how you make out...
Old 02-04-2002, 12:40 AM   #3
Old Man

You have a vacuum leak or the EGR valve is stuck open.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:19 PM   #4

High idle sounds like a...

vacuum line is loose or broken. Check the small line at the back of the manifold near the distributor that T's off for the vacuum canister, cruise and heater controls.

The running rich could be your first warning that the regulator on your CPI unit inside the manifold is starting to leak (common problem with the CPI engine). If it is you'll soon get code 32 EGR, very stinky exhaust smell and rough idle as well. I replaced mine at 147,000 miles with the new improved design unit p/n 17113673 for $265. PM or email me if you need more info.

You can also clear the computer codes by removing the ECMB fuse. I think it is number 9, bottom left of fuse panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.