Thanks a lot. If you have time and can show me exactly how you made the autozone cover work plz let me know!
I found an old 3/8 drive socket that just fit the sensor hole, and using a bandsaw, I cut a slot in two sides of the socket running parallel with the drive axis of the socket. The cut runs half way down the socket starting on the end opposite the 3/8 drive hole.
Next, I took a flat piece of steel that fit in the slot in the socket (the slot is two band saw blade widths in size), and cut it so it would be wider than the socket and about half as high. I cut a channel in the center of the flat piece so that the socket would slide up into the flat piece at the same time that the flat piece was sliding into the slot in the socket. This locked the two pieces together.
Now, I have a cylinder with a "wing" sticking out on two sides. Next I used a file to make a cutting angle on each of the two wings. I cut them in such a way that there is about 3/8 of an inch of the socket in the hole before the cutting edges engage the plastic of the timing chain cover. This engagement in the hole keeps everything aligned.
I put the cutting tool on a ratchet with a short extension, and started turning it in the sensor hole of the timing chain cover, exerting enough axial pressure to make the tool cut the plastic. The chips fall outside the hole, because the socket is plugging the hole.
It was slow work, because I was cautious, and I had to stop from time to time to sharpen the tool. The timing chain cover is made of fiber-filled plastic, and my tool was made of cold-rolled steel. The plastic made short work of the cutting edge. In about two turns, the cutter was dull. I didn't have time to harden it, and I didn't have a conveniently shaped piece of tool steel. None the less, it worked.
Another way this could be done would be to cut down a large (1.5 inch) drill bit to do the job. That way you would be working with tool steel from the beginning. I thought about doing it this way, but decided to use the socket instead because it was faster. The whole thing took less than 20 minutes to make.
I hope this helps.