S-10 Forum

S-10 Forum (http://www.s10forum.com/forum/index.php)
-   262ci Forum (4.3) (http://www.s10forum.com/forum/262ci-forum-4-3/)
-   -   Having trouble changing Motor Mounts! (http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/having-trouble-changing-motor-mounts-228356/)

TempoRaptor 01-28-2006 03:04 PM

Having trouble changing Motor Mounts!

i unbolted thebolt that goes through the motor mounts but when i go to jack up the engine the whole truck wants to lift up........................ is there somebolt i am forgetting to un bolt??..............................

Generic0 01-28-2006 03:11 PM

Re: Having trouble changing Motor Mounts!

You have to disconnect the transmission mount i think, and any wires that might be tying you down.

graniteguy 01-28-2006 08:23 PM

It's been a while but i never unbolted anything but the mounts. There is one bolt that is hard see and even harder to get a socket on. If you get a serrated fillet knife or similar, cut the rubber off the mount. This will help a bunch to see it.

TempoRaptor 01-28-2006 11:24 PM

all right i finnaly got it up and took the old ones out boy was that a pain is the @SS! Then i went to put the new ones in and it was an even BIGGER PAIN!!! I am now having trouble lining up the Long bolt to mount the new motor mounts to the frame...........any ADVICE on this??

rat 01-28-2006 11:27 PM

On my 2wd, that has a different frame than you, so this might be slightly different. I bolted the mount to the engine. The bolted the top mount to the bottom mount, then lowered the engine down untill i could get a bolt going into the frame, then i was able to get the rest started.

TempoRaptor 01-28-2006 11:29 PM

I have a 2wd.......... But ive bolted the mounts to the engine already but when i lower it down i cant get the mount to the frame to line up................

rat 01-28-2006 11:37 PM

Try raising and lowering corners of the truck slightly. THe frame might be twisted a little, they are really flopy on these trucks.

TempoRaptor 01-28-2006 11:55 PM

well i gave that a try and still isnt lineing up yet.............. Should i pry on them to get them to move? I already tryed giving the motor and shake and didnt move any so any other options?

VT1992S10 01-29-2006 12:03 AM

you can always loosen the 3 bolts on the engine side, lower the engine so you can get the long bolt thru the hole and lined up, tighten the long bolt, then tighten the 3 motor side bolts. This has worked for me on both my 4x4 and when there was a 4.3 in the 2wd

TempoRaptor 01-29-2006 01:53 AM

im still not having any luck................. Im going to bed and hopfully ill get it figured out tomarrow................

bg's 01-29-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT1992S10
you can always loosen the 3 bolts on the engine side, lower the engine so you can get the long bolt thru the hole and lined up, tighten the long bolt, then tighten the 3 motor side bolts. This has worked for me on both my 4x4 and when there was a 4.3 in the 2wd

I believe I've read that elsewhere too. Loosen the bolts so the mounts can
move a bit, spear the long bolts into the upper and lower mounts then tighten.

TempoRaptor 01-29-2006 05:29 PM

Well after much prying and lifting the engine up and down i was able to get the passenger side bolted up but the driver side is being a huge pain! i ve tryed everthing but it wont line up ive even tryed starting the engine and putting it in gear to put load on the engine to see if it would move the engine into place but that didnt work........................Im going to take a break and then try some more prying..............

TempoRaptor 01-29-2006 08:15 PM

I found the secret to sucess! 2 ratcheting tiedowns and a long 3/8 extention, put the 3/8 extention behind the motormount and use one ratchet on each side and rap it around your tire opposite the motor mount................. http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/94/pict02011xl.th.jpg

bg's 01-29-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TempoRaptor
I found the secret to sucess! 2 ratcheting tiedowns and a long 3/8 extention, put the 3/8 extention behind the motormount and use one ratchet on each side and rap it around your tire opposite the motor mount................. http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/94/pict02011xl.th.jpg

Wow ! I've never heard of it being done like that before, but if it works and you
got your new mounts in, more power to ya..Sounds like a major PITA, and
I'm going to have to do mine soon..Wonderful.

rat 01-29-2006 09:23 PM

Now that you are done, i highly recomend poly mounts. They should never break again. Mine were broken, the drivers side came out in 3 pieces. My headers were hitting the frame. New mounts solved everything.

TempoRaptor 01-29-2006 09:52 PM

Well i sure know that next time they need to be replaced im going to get it done somewhere cause it was a huge PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!!!!!

mat1583 06-15-2006 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rat
Now that you are done, i highly recomend poly mounts. They should never break again. Mine were broken, the drivers side came out in 3 pieces. My headers were hitting the frame. New mounts solved everything.

Did you have an annoying rattling/vibration. Jon and I installed headers and a new y-pipe on my truck not long ago and now it's really rattling/vibrating when I'm at a stop. :rant:

bg's 06-15-2006 01:46 PM

Yea thats the one thing I truly hate about the poly mounts. Idle
vibration. Especially when the elec fan kicks in..Sounds and feel
nasty.

bg's 06-15-2006 01:46 PM

Yea thats the one thing I truly hate about the poly mounts. Idle
vibration. Especially when the elec fan kicks in..Sounds and feel
nasty.

rat 06-15-2006 04:52 PM

Mine doesn't really vibrate that much(worse than stock, but still not that bad). I bumped my idle about 25rpm, and it really helped to smooth things out.

mat1583 06-15-2006 05:00 PM

Well, I don't actually have poly mounts, just stock. I'm thinking the headers or y-pipe are vibrating against something somewhere. I mean it's more than just a light vibration. This is something loud and something you can feel in your feet in the cab.

02_Black_XBlazer 06-15-2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mat1583
Well, I don't actually have poly mounts, just stock. I'm thinking the headers or y-pipe are vibrating against something somewhere. I mean it's more than just a light vibration. This is something loud and something you can feel in your feet in the cab.

What headers are you running? If they're the edelbrock, you might have to clearence the driver's side firewall a bit for the 02 sensor. A had a similiar issue to what you are descibing, and it was b/c the o2 sensor was banging against the firewall.:rant:

mat1583 06-15-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97NAS10SS
What headers are you running? If they're the edelbrock, you might have to clearence the driver's side firewall a bit for the 02 sensor. A had a similiar issue to what you are descibing, and it was b/c the o2 sensor was banging against the firewall.:rant:

Yup, edelbrock! Driver's side firewall though? The o2 sensor is on the passenger side on my truck (94 TBI). I'll check that spot to see if it's banging up against anything though. I never really thought of that spot being a culprit. It's kinda tough finding exactly where the noise is coming from.

bvr775 06-15-2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TempoRaptor

I just use a long prybar

bg's 06-15-2006 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rat
Mine doesn't really vibrate that much(worse than stock, but still not that bad). I bumped my idle about 25rpm, and it really helped to smooth things out.

That's a good idea. I think I'll try that.