Hard to start and STRONG smell of gas when it does - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Hard to start and STRONG smell of gas when it does

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

Hard to start and STRONG smell of gas when it does

2000 s10 4.3 has 240k, flowmasters

About a year ago it was hard to start so I changed the fuelpump and it worked great. About 6wks ago it started being hard to start again. Instead of starting rright when I turn the key like normal, I have to "lay on the key" and pump the gas for 3-4 seconds. Then it starys but roughly and is kinda rough runnin too. I changed the fuel filter, put in irridium plugsand put in some Seafoam....no improvement. I have had my check engine light come on for the mass air flow sensor. I cleaned it and the light went off. Then it came back on a few weeks later. I noticed a hole in the cold air intake piping so I fixed that....light went off, now its back on. I just ordered a mass air flow sensor to try that, but is there anything else that it sounds like to you all ????
Old 03-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Hard to start and STRONG smell of gas when it does

seems ignition related. hows the coil, cap and rotor and wires? is your mpg bad?
Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Ninja Owns Me

MAybe someone passed wind?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #4

Bought the cap, rotor and wires tonight and will install tomorrow. So this seems like the answer right ??? The smell of fuel is getting so bad I can barely stand it and it's running so rough now Im worried its gonna die on me in trafic or somewhere crazy..... If this doesnt work I'll try the coil, but aftrr that .....Im lost.....oh yeh, mass airflow sensor seemed to help....for about 5 miles or so. Then it just got worse and the check engine light came back on. What aboit a vaccume hose ? Would this be the effects of a bad vaccume ???
Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
i saw what you did there!

yeah the fuel injector pipes probably are cracked leaking under the intake

does the engine oil smell like gas at all?

check fuel pressure with key on if it bleeds off pressure pretty quickly just wsitting with ign key on then you have a cracked fuel injector pipe or two its a common problem on cpi

and expensive and its one reason why i stick with the older tbi engines etc
Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #6

Yes please do some diagnosing before throwing parts at it.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #7

Well I'm no mechanic, limited on tools amd time, so throwing $100 in parts at it is a better start than bringing it to the shop. Atleast I eliminated a few more things..... I replaced the coil, cap, rotor, plugs and wires with NO improvement. Also my oil cooler lines have been leaking for a while now (which is next weekends project) . There's not an oil pressure switch or something related to it that would make it hard to start ? As far as leaking fuel under the throttle body, wouldn't I have a strong smell of fuel under tje hood ? It seems to be more of a rich exhaust smell because it's not as strong under the hood. Could it possibly be the fuelpump I installed is failling ? Or maybe I didn't get something tight enough ? I'm just praying that I can resolve this without bringing it to the shop. Seems like every mechanic around here is nothing but a crook....they overcharge and under fix !
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
jax4x4.com

If the injector assembly or regulator were leaking you wouldn't smell it at the motor because its inside the intake pouring into the cylinders and getting blown out the exhaust. the fact that you have to "pump" the gas to start tells me you are putting the ecu in clear flood mode because there is too much fuel in the intake. go rent a fuel pressure gauge from an auto parts store and test fuel pressure and leakdown. this is a very common problem more than likely its the regulator leaking.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #9

distributor??
Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #10

Something else thats strange....on a cold morning it starts right up, but only that first start of the day....dont know if that means anything....
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
jax4x4.com

when an engine is cold it requires more fuel to start. more than likely fuel is puddling in your intake from regulator leaking.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by pjg1173
when an engine is cold it requires more fuel to start. more than likely fuel is puddling in your intake from regulator leaking.
^ What he said.
To verify that, hook up a fuel pressure gauge and you will see the pressure bleeds off right away.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #13

What about this..... For this whole time my check engune light has been throwing the code for "mass airflow sensor, vaccume hose".....isnt there a vaccume hose for the pressure regulator ? Could this be all from a vaccume problem ? How do I check ? I still plan on getting the pressure guage this weekend, but after reading up on the regulator the vacume thing hit me . So, could it be ??? Just a vacume hose ?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
jax4x4.com

no vac hose on the regulator. it gets is vac signal from being inside the intake plentum and usually leaks from the vac port.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #15

I know you all are probably sick of me , but I ordered my spider today. Also, I have a new piece to the puzzle....oil in my coolant. Atleast I gues its oil...looks like red mud in the radiator. Flushed it today because I have no choice but to drive it to work so I wanted to get out what I could even though its still gonna come back Im sure. My oil cooler lines are leaking too lol....240,000 miles on this bad mofo !!!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
jax4x4.com

are you sure its oil and not dexsludge (dexcool). thats what it sounds like to me.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
I like COOTER

Quote: Originally Posted by pjg1173
are you sure its oil and not dexsludge (dexcool). thats what it sounds like to me.
xeleventybillion!!!!!

I hate dexcool. as soon as my truck was out of warranty I flushed out the dex cool and switched to regular old green stuff. that was at 85k miles (ex warr) I am now at 206k with NOOOOO cooling system problems other than a failed water pump at 165k miles.

with that much sludge in your cooling system it will take a lot of flushing and probably still be problematic, but definitely look into a MAJOR FLUSH. I would consider replacing the radiator and heater core as well as the water pump, and both forward and reverse flushing the engine out. of course do this BEFORE you replace all the other parts. replace all your hoses and T-stat too.

as for your starting problem I would lean towards the spider. let us know if your new spider fixes your issues. did you buy a new conversion style or an old style
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #18

Old style.....I know I know, but I have a lot to fix and with 240k on the truck. I'm not lookin' to throw a grand at it. So I found a used spider from a truck with 36k miles that was wrecked and being parted out. The spider has a 3yr/30,000 mile warranty. It was "electro-something" cleaned and tested. It looks brand new and for 90 bucks. I went ahead and orderd the pressure regulator too...another $80, plus a gasket , $30. Im looking for a good price on a new radiator now. My oil cooler lines are cheap to fix, but it still all ads up. I JUST changed the coil, rotor, cap, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, 4 new tires, alternator, control arm bushings, stabilizer and pitman arms. So while I know it is stupid to tear i to the intake only to replace using used parts, but saving that $200 just seemed like the way to go at the time.....honestly though, I think just trying to convince myself because I know better.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
I like COOTER

so you spent 200 bux for a USED old style injector spider?
I hate to tell ya this but you just wasted a bunch of money.
Rockauto has new style injectors from DELPHI (aka OEM supplier) for $219 and it comes with a new mounting bracket, new FPR, and gasket.

what you bought will hopefully fix your problems though
Old 03-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #20

No, I SAVED $200. Online I found a new one for $289....I got mine for 80 bucks.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #21
I like COOTER

Quote: Originally Posted by mdlwate357
The spider has a 3yr/30,000 mile warranty. It was "electro-something" cleaned and tested. It looks brand new and for 90 bucks. I went ahead and orderd the pressure regulator too...another $80, plus a gasket , $30.
90 spider
+80 regulator
+30 gasket
-----
by my math that equals 200 unless I am misunderstanding something here.

I paid $226 for everything you just mentioned and its brand new and a new style and its OEM parts.

am I missing something here?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #22

Really ??? Rockauto shows 263.79 for a remanufactuered syder injector kit for the 2000 4.3. Anyway...my truck is running great again and that's all that matters. Who got the best deal on their parts ??? Well I guess you did. Thanks for all of y'alls help....withoit this site I'd probably be curled up into an ass ball in some dark room sucking my thumb by now lol....
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
I like COOTER

Really ??? Rockauto shows 263.79 for a remanufactuered syder injector kit for the 2000 4.3. Anyway...my truck is running great again and that's all that matters. Who got the best deal on their parts ??? Well I guess you did. Thanks for all of y'alls help....withoit this site I'd probably be curled up into an ass ball in some dark room sucking my thumb by now lol....
RELAX MAN, I am just tryin to help you get the right part AND the most for your money.
the price you saw is a reman OLD style injector and the $236 price INCLUDES a core charge of $85 that you would be refunded if you sent in your leaky injector. which would give you a purchase price of $152 for said reman inj.

directly above that part on rockauto is "standard motor products FJ503" for $219.79
and above that is delphi FJ10565 and it is priced at 218.79. it is the OE part manufactured by the same company that makes the ACDELCO part that is the last part on the page for 377.79
the delphi part is the one I bought. it has a brand new regulator, it comes with the gasket needed, as well as the new bracket required for install.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #24

2000 s10 4.3 has 240k, flowmasters

About a year ago it was hard to start so I changed the fuelpump and it worked great. About 6wks ago it started being hard to start again. Instead of starting rright when I turn the key like normal, I have to "lay on the key" and pump the gas for 3-4 seconds. Then it starys but roughly and is kinda rough runnin too. I changed the fuel filter, put in irridium plugsand put in some Seafoam....no improvement. I have had my check engine light come on for the mass air flow sensor. I cleaned it and the light went off. Then it came back on a few weeks later. I noticed a hole in the cold air intake piping so I fixed that....light went off, now its back on. I just ordered a mass air flow sensor to try that, but is there anything else that it sounds like to you all ????
Just had the same problem. Hard to start. I did a fuel and vacuum diagnostic with a loner tool from the local parts store. Pressure build good but after shut down quick leak down. I pulled the upper intake plenum and on the driver side intake back by the fire wall was clean due to gas leak. Bad fuel pressure regulator. I'm installing a new spider as the truck has 360k and I don't want to have to do this again.

New spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.