Glowing red headers????? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Glowing red headers?????

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Glowing red headers?????

just rebuilt my 4.3 vortec for my 2000 s-10 with many mods(cam,headers,injectors,blower,ETC.....) and while the truck is at a stand still idleing the drivers side headers will glow red like its fixing to melt down,and the passenger side header will not glow red or not get as hot as the drivers side does,what in the world would cause this to happen???? anyone had a problem like this before?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Electrical Mod

Re: Glowing red headers?????

It's not running lean on that bank is it?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #3

im not sure? how do i find out? check the plugs?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Electrical Mod

Do you have a tuner or anything? Not sure how to check it otherwise without some sort or scanner.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #5

yes i have a scanner and one of the things it said was something about high air volume? not sure what that means? the other thing said mass air flow circuit low? what does it mean when the circuit is low and do i have to replace the expensive mass air flow meter. also i had the PCM programmed by PCMforless for the bigger injectors and bigger fuel pump.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Longbeds FTMFW

sounds like that bank is waaay lean. Call the PCMforless and tell them, have them sort it out for you

Too much timing or a lean mixture will do that, but you cant have too much timing on just half the motor.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
goin broke but n style

running it like that will make your piston/s go on a permanent vacation. DONT run it long until you get it sorted out.

the MAF controls both banks
you may have a fuel issues on that bank.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #8

i called PCMforless about the header on one side glowing red and he told me that it would not be the tune he put in it,he said i have some kind of mechanical issues and it wasnt the PCM tune he did. does anyone know of a good place to send my PCM to? im tired of calling him and him always saying that i did something wrong with the motor build and its not the PCM!!! and if anyone knows of a good reliable place to send my PCM too with all the mods ive done to this motor to make it run please tell me,and one more question...can i send this Pcm that PCMforless tuned to another place and get it retuned or do i have to go buy another stock PCM and send that one in to get tuned? thanks for the info
Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #9

Single or dual exhaust? Plugged exhaust will do that.
Does your scanner read fuel trims? Fuel trim should be no more than +/- 10%
What is the timing reading?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #10

Question Re: Glowing red headers?????

I have a 98 s10 with sbc 350 and I'm changing out my headers. How do you go about removing the steering shaft from the firewall area I already got it off the gearbox....... I'm also new to the whole forum thing don't really know what in doing.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #11
WICKED 6 RACING

What do the plugs look like. Are they ash white or fuel rich black.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by Steven98sten
I have a 98 s10 with sbc 350 and I'm changing out my headers. How do you go about removing the steering shaft from the firewall area I already got it off the gearbox....... I'm also new to the whole forum thing don't really know what in doing.
Its not polite to hijack a topic with a totally different question.
Start a thread with your question. You will also get more help that way.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #13

the first time i took the # 1 plug out it was soaked with fuel,and then a couple days later they had a white look to them on the electrode. ive checked and double checked the timing and i know that its right. but it wants to idle at 3500 RPM most of the time,and thats another bug i have to figure out? some days it will idle at 1000 and some days it will idle at 3500,so i dont know whats going on???
Old 04-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Call me Mario, Princess

It sounds like you have a vacuum leak and it is causing it to run very lean.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #15

Check for vacuum leaks. Did you reuse the intake gaskets?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #16

ive checked for leaks everywhere and i cant find anything,i have a vacuume/boost gauge in the truck and when it idles half way normal it has 16 lbs of vacuum. i worked on it today and pulled the #1 plug and its black with the electrode white.it actually idled descent today and the header never did glow red,2 days ago when i cranked it,it would not idle down,it would sit at 3500 RM's.but after i let it idle for about 10 minutes today and the idle stayed at 1100 RPM's,i even eased it around my block a few times,but when i went to drive it again 30 minutes later it went dead when i put it in drive and would not start back up,it would stumble and cut off. it seems to do this often,one time it will run halfway descent and then it will act up the next. it does smoke like a freight train with the smell of gas,i think my PCM was programmed to dump way too much gas and its loading up. the only codes i get with the scanner is the mass air has a low voltage. im looking for someone to reprogram my PCM and hopefully get this mess straitened out!!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #17

This might sound off the wall but, i believe you have to learn to walk before you run so here it goes.

Before i got my truck (probably soon to be sold to get a car) I have and still have another project, a small motorcycle and one of the main things i did to this bike was order big ol competition engine and a hand made in the USA stainless pipe.

long story short after having it for some while i'm putting around the house/yard one winter evening and it's warming up and low and behold it glowing like an NHR dragster (pictures look cool as hell).

I show some people tell my dad, we tweak the carb and every one things it;s running lean or attributes it to the air filter having no oil.

but, even after the carb adjustments i think i was still able to make it glow anyways, and it runs fine.

The most i can figure is with a thing walled pipe and the big bore, massive cam and cold winter air that's just how it runs. Till this day it runs like a champ.

Now that i said while typing this i just saw the last post, and i too think you have mechanical problems dude. if smoke from the pipe smells like gass, that possibly because there is gas in the oil. but, then again who am I to say.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #18

i think the only problem i have is a poorly tuned PCM. im going to find another company to program the PCM and then if that doesnt work i will say its something mechanical. i had a well known and very,very smart engine builder to build my motor so i know it was done right without a doubt. every part that was ordered was checked and double checked to make sure it was the right one. the cam is a small cam,nothing agressive. this motor and the parts that were ordered were for a build that was going to be an everyday driver and reliable,i wasnt concerned about the gas mileage and im still not concerned and thats what i told PCMforless and i think he programmed the PCM to dump way too much fuel. GAS in the OIL??? the only way i can see gas getting in the oil is if my rings are broke or my pistons are shot to hell? ive check the compression on all cylinders and i have between 150-155 lbs of pressure on all of them,so tell me how gas can get in the oil in case im missing something here?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #19
WICKED 6 RACING

Gas getting in the oil is very easy. A lot easier then you think. You just don't notice 99% of the time because once the oil gets hot it evaps out. Now onto the plugs. I generally tune for juice but p[lug reading is plug reading. The easiest thing to do honestly it put a fresh set in all around or at least one cylinder. Drive it around a few minutes and shut it off and check. We usually cut the plug to check the entire thing. But if the plug is bone soaked in gas but the strap is white you have a plug that's 2 hot with way to much fuel.
As far as glowing headers its a strait rich condition. Unless your running around 14.7 to 14.1.. Were with boost you want to be around 12.9 to 13.1 nitrous closer to 13.5 to 13.7. True lean mixtures ( 15.1) make less power for a reason there is less fuel meaning less heat. Hence the reason when we tune juice we start lean and add the fuel in and adjust the timing it keeps from destroying parts.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #20

Does your scanner read fuel trims?
http://www.easterncatalytic.com/educ...agnostic-tool/
Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #21

The PCM tune ISN't your problem !!!! FIX your mas air flow sensors / circuit it controls your air fuel ratio also check your fuel rail's and regulator.

A PCM tune will not make one side run hotter then the other.

There is something wrong with your motor. Either Vacuum leak/(mass air flow sensor not reading the right amount of incoming air) Fuel problem, uneven pressure or something. OR a spark timing.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #22

Quote: Originally Posted by blown sten
yes i have a scanner and one of the things it said was something about high air volume? not sure what that means? the other thing said mass air flow circuit low? what does it mean when the circuit is low and do i have to replace the expensive mass air flow meter. also i had the PCM programmed by PCMforless for the bigger injectors and bigger fuel pump.

Those two things need to be fixed before you will solve your fuel mixture problem causing your red header.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #23

check to see if ur exhaust is plugged.
buy a cheap non contact laser thermometer ($20) and test different parts of the exhaust, bank1 vs bank2 check before and after cats as well. i've see exhaust and catalist convertors plug up and glow red hot.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #24

the exhaust is clear,i gutted the catalytic converter a while back and now it is a free flowing dual exhaust. i just dont get why one day it will act halfway right and the next day it wont run at all?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #25
Vig Pimpin

Quote:
Those two things need to be fixed before you will solve your fuel mixture problem causing your red header.
and...

pull the plenum, look for fuel washing (leaking regulator)
make sure plenum gasket is not broken on the affected side
are you sure he got the right specs on the new pump and injectors for the pcm
are you sure the pump is making the pressure it is supposed to?
is your spark hot enough? have any components been upgraded ie. coil, cap etc

until you fix the MAF/MAP issue, you'll be chasing your tail trying to narrow it down.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #26

If one or more pistons were close to BDC or even half way down the cylinder, with the intake valve open, with faulty injector fuel devilry system and gas was dripping/leaking and running down in to the intake and down through the valve. it could seep past the rings through the ring gaps and into the oil.

I only saw this once on an old 1 banger lawnmower once. The carb was dumping fuel and being older, past the rings and in to the oil.

i'm not claiming to be a genius just trying to give some ideas.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #27
goin broke but n style

I have seen many carb'd eng mix oil and fuel and seen alot of EFI eng do it, esp if you have a weak battery and you keep trying to crank the eng. this will wash down the cyl and let fuel get into the oil.

as stated, get the maf issue fixed. if you have the tools swap in a known good stock ECU. I know it wont be perfect, but see if it will run better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.