Fuel pump removal / installation - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Fuel pump removal / installation

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #1

Fuel pump removal / installation

I've got a 97 GMC Sonoma 4.3L - and a couple months ago it felt like someone pinched the fuel line off if I went WOT. It simply hit a wall around 3k rpm. So a buddy and myself changed the fuel filter. HUGE difference! Problem solved. Or so I thought.

The past 2-3 weeks, the truck has taken 5-10 tries to start from cold. Key on, hear the pump prime, crank - nothin. Rinse, wash, repeat. Then finally it'd start up and run just fine until it sat for a few hours, then I'd have to go through the embarrassing ritual again. Finally got out my fuel pressure gauge, and engine off, key on, it tested at 50psi. Same thing when it was running at idle. It would increase with RPM, but topped out around 62psi WOT @ 5k. Figured this is on the low side pressure-wise, so I ordered a pump assembly. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.

At any rate, I've read about removing the bed to install the pump from the top. Also the (maybe) more traditional method of dropping the tank. Both of which seem fairly easy, but would take patience - which is in short supply as of late. So I decided to cut an access panel in the bed. Took some measurements from underneath, marked it in the bed, and got out the 4½" grinder w/ a metal cutting blade. Before starting, I put a small piece of wood on top of the tank to cover the pump and hoses, just in case the blade went through the bed too easily. All went well. Took about 20 minutes. I'm still waiting on the pump assembly to arrive, but I'm ready for it now!

The access panel is 10" wide, 8" long, and 15" out from the driver side bed wall. It's also 5" away from the cab side of the bed. This allowed the cuts not to damage the structural support "beams" under the bed itself.

There's a pic attached with measurements. Hopefully this helps someone else, because I was hard pressed to find any specific info about this particular method of FP access other than "I cut a hole in the bed of my truck."
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel pump removal / installation-20ixfv8.jpg  
Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Trick MotorSports!

User is: OffLine
Re: Fuel pump removal / installation

I see all the detail and specifics you give...yet you complain about a lack of patience???
Old 10-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #3

Having a simaller issue. I have minimal pressure to the spider assembly, If i dump fuel down the throttle body, it starts right up. I looked like a idiot the other day whaling at the fuel tank with my fist trying to bump the fuel pump to kick on. and hour later it work'ed. LMAO
Old 10-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #4

Wow..nice! have an access panel!
p.s. what cab and bed length was this?

Last edited by Bills Dad; 10-09-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #5

It's a reg cab short bed :-)

Oh, and the new fuel pump fixed my starting issues completely. Feels like it runs a little stronger through the rpm range, too. No real surprise there though.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Pickup Man

I always wondered why car makers don't do this when they design vehicles. I bet 9 out of 10 cars/trucks could have been built with a panel over the damn things!! All that college is a waste!
Old 11-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #7

Since the thread was brought back, for my 95 S10. We just unbolted the bed bolts and took a 4x4 and a 4x2 I think? and lifted the bed up on the fuel pump side and put those between the frame and the bed. Make sure that the other side inner fender hits the back of the wheel (so it will stay in place). It might of just worked out with me because I got 20's?
Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
i saw what you did there!

some cars do have a panel

some acuras

ford contours

etc

been there seen them, replaced pumps on them

acura ones are in the trunk

contour ones are under the back seat

i have no bed on my s10 and so it take about 8 minutes to replace the pump on it

in which i had to do three times a couple months ago, all within the same week.

haha

Last edited by fast68chevy; 11-14-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
flip switcher

the only problem with the access hole method is if there is crap in your tank you have to drop it anyways to clean it. I took the bed off, made it real easy, until I saw a bunch of water / oil in my tank, I dropped it and took out 4 2 liter Pepsi bottles of remaining gas/ oil / water out. it separated out in the bottles and looks nasty as hell, there was a lot of water and oil in the gas, I have never put additives in my tank and there was this big green bouncy ball? the only way it could have gotten in there is at the factory there is no other way it could have gotten in?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #10

I recently changed the fuel pump on my 2000 blazer. My only advise is, buy tank straps when you get the pump. You will more than likely need them. If not you can always take them back.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #11

I need part # for 99 zr2 4.3 fuel pump this is my first post can anyone help
Old 11-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by vielecustoms

there was this big green bouncy ball? the only way it could have gotten in there is at the factory there is no other way it could have gotten in?
The green ball fits into the lower-most section of the fill pipe so if/when the truck were to flip, the gas won't come out. I'm glad we put ours back in the correct spot too, since my son barrel rolled it on its top
Old 02-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #13

Re: Fuel pump removal / installation (S-10 1997)

I just today cut a square out of the bed of my truck to get to the fuel pump. I am waiting to get a new one (actually it's used). This will be the third time I am replacing the fuel pump on my 1997 Chevy S-10 4.3 V-6 Vortec. Also the fuel pumps I bought before this one were brand new. When I changed the fuel filter (which I did not change until the 2nd fuel pump went out), had this blackish/brownish poor out of it when I drained it. I think the fuel filter was plugged causing the fuel pump to over work and eventually fried the motor. I just hope the Truck works after I put the other fuel pump in. I have a couple pics of the cut out in the bed for the fuel pump.

-Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel pump removal / installation-pict0153.jpg   Fuel pump removal / installation-pict0156.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
I drive upside-down

i know this is an OLD thread, but how easily does the pump come out? Do you twist and pull or just pull it out? Is there alot of fuel that pours out?

i have this same exact issue as the OP, and need to fix asap. want to make sure im not getting in over my head.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #15

Thanks licken2 . i was looking for this info and was afraid to ask because i didn't want to defend my reasons for not taking the bed off. could this go any wider or longer without hitting frame? i am in welding school right now, and i can easily fabricate the hatch door after I'm done.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by licken2
I've got a 97 GMC Sonoma 4.3L - and a couple months ago it felt like someone pinched the fuel line off if I went WOT. It simply hit a wall around 3k rpm. So a buddy and myself changed the fuel filter. HUGE difference! Problem solved. Or so I thought.

The past 2-3 weeks, the truck has taken 5-10 tries to start from cold. Key on, hear the pump prime, crank - nothin. Rinse, wash, repeat. Then finally it'd start up and run just fine until it sat for a few hours, then I'd have to go through the embarrassing ritual again. Finally got out my fuel pressure gauge, and engine off, key on, it tested at 50psi. Same thing when it was running at idle. It would increase with RPM, but topped out around 62psi WOT @ 5k. Figured this is on the low side pressure-wise, so I ordered a pump assembly. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.

At any rate, I've read about removing the bed to install the pump from the top. Also the (maybe) more traditional method of dropping the tank. Both of which seem fairly easy, but would take patience - which is in short supply as of late. So I decided to cut an access panel in the bed. Took some measurements from underneath, marked it in the bed, and got out the 4½" grinder w/ a metal cutting blade. Before starting, I put a small piece of wood on top of the tank to cover the pump and hoses, just in case the blade went through the bed too easily. All went well. Took about 20 minutes. I'm still waiting on the pump assembly to arrive, but I'm ready for it now!

The access panel is 10" wide, 8" long, and 15" out from the driver side bed wall. It's also 5" away from the cab side of the bed. This allowed the cuts not to damage the structural support "beams" under the bed itself.

There's a pic attached with measurements. Hopefully this helps someone else, because I was hard pressed to find any specific info about this particular method of FP access other than "I cut a hole in the bed of my truck."
my truck was bucking due to a distributor issue. at same time it began to take 3 to 8 seconds or so to start up. i got the distributor fixed, but still has some issues starting. i knew it was not right, for 12 years the truck always started instantly. i suspected the fuel pump. i was right.

i used your picture to help cut hole in my bed (btw i have 98 extended cab w/ short bed) . i altered your dimensions slightly from looking at your picture. you have the only picture anywhere on the net for an S10.

now shes runnin smooth and she starts instantly. i sealed the hole water tight and all is good.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ....... P.S. THANK YOU FOR THE PIC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.