Fuel Pump Noise - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Fuel Pump Noise

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Computer geek/IT Student

User is: OffLine
Fuel Pump Noise

Hey everyone. My fuel pump has been making this mid to high pitched whining noise for a while now. It is just a little bit louder when the tank is around 1/2 a tank and then it makes another faint noise when I turn the key if it is 1/2 a tank or a bit lower (BUT I never let it get below 1/2 a tank (Fuel Used reading 9 gallons) unless I am trying to drive 3-3.5 hours nonstop or one stop, then I don't let it get below 11 gallons used.), but I can't really describe it. Sometimes the pump is a bit louder than usual for the first 5 seconds that the engine is running, but then the volume decreases to what it normally is.
I normally let the truck warm up for 5 minutes before I drive it, unless I am in a rush, but I still let it go for 2 minutes if I can't wait 5 min.

If I am standing next to the left side of the car, it seems louder than the engine. My gas gauge also does not work properly (I know, I know. The gauge sender is bad.). It reads around 3/4 to F until it gets around 1/2 a tank. The fuel filter was replaced with a Fram fuel filter (BEFORE I found out about their quality) in March when the car had around 88,000 miles on it (It has 93,500 now) when I had the front wheel bearings replaced. I am going to have it replaced again (with a Purolator filter) next Friday when I have 3 rusted (NOT leaking) brake lines replaced.

I am planning on having the pump assembly replaced in December, when I am off from college for the long break (and I am working part-time if possible) since I will likely have 100k on the truck by that time and I want to keep this truck for a long time with as little trouble as possible. I would have to plan any repairs very carefully during the semester because I am taking 24 credits and I would have to plan the week around a repair if it has to be done.

I also have used Lucas Deep Clean and the regular fuel injector cleaner in addition to periodic Techron treatments. The truck seems to drive fine, though. No stalling, fast startup on the first try, etc. Now here are my big questions:

1. Does this noise mean that the pump is on it's way to failing completely in the near future? Or is this a normal noise that should be expected and I should not worry about it?

2. Will changing the fuel filter cause any problems with it?

3. Is Lucas/Techron good or bad for the pump? I don't do the Lucas every tank, just every few tanks to keep the injectors clean so I don't have problems with it. I do the Techron every few months.

I hope I provided enough information to help diagnose this noise.

Thank you.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #2
terrible. take a lap.

Re: Fuel Pump Noise

as far as i know, it should just make noise within the first few seconds of turning the key over, as the fuel pump primes before you start the engine...

since its making a loud irritating noise and your gas gauge doesnt work it sounds like both the fuel pump and sending unit are on its way out.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
Computer geek/IT Student

Quote: Originally Posted by joyride
as far as i know, it should just make noise within the first few seconds of turning the key over, as the fuel pump primes before you start the engine...

since its making a loud irritating noise and your gas gauge doesnt work it sounds like both the fuel pump and sending unit are on its way out.
It's not really THAT loud. It is a constant, continuous sound that is a little bit louder than the engine, but you have to stand near the tank for that to be the case. If you are standing in front of the truck when it is running, you can't really hear it. It really depends how and when you listen to it. I went on youtube and it isn't making any of the scary grinding noises that some of the other Chevy pumps made. I can't seem to find any videos that match that sound so I can't really post a link to anything similar. So maybe I should ask the shop that is doing the brake lines that if they have to drop the tank to get to the brake lines to replace the fuel pump then? Maybe I should start looking for an AC Delco pump online.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
terrible. take a lap.

i think i know exactly what you're talking about...my bros xtreme makes the same noise, constant buzzing....and his fuel gauge is all wacked out...and he has like 150k miles...the fuel pump is probably close to clocking out...lol...i'll ask him to take a video/sound clip...

if you replace the fuel pump...just buy a walbro255 from summitracing for 120 bucks rather than spending an arm and a leg for an ac delco replacement...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Whoops!

Mine made that noise too, but without the fuel gauge being wacked out. I just changed the fuel filter and it got quieter. Im with Joyride on this one.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Computer geek/IT Student

You have a good point about the filter. I am going to have that replaced ASAP. Joyride: Where did you get $120 bucks? All I am finding on Walbro's site for OEM replacement pumps are over $400, with nothing on Summit for this truck that would fit. Is Walbro a good brand of fuel pump? My fuel gauge and pump have been doing all this for a while, but it does seem to be getting louder as the filter "ages". Could it be a bad Fram filter? It only has been on there for 5k. Could the Lucas have partially clogged it? Thanks.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Computer geek/IT Student

UPDATE: Never mind what I said about the $400 pump. That was a wrong part. Was this the one you were talking about? http://www.fuel-pumps.net/tu429.html
Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Computer geek/IT Student

Ok. I ordered a Walbro TU429 kit from fuel-pumps.net. The shop is going to drop the tank to replace brake lines anyway, so might as well do the pump while the tank is out. Also where can I get fuel tank straps that fit the plastic 4 door tank on this truck (since the old ones will have to be cut off)? Not taking any chances here. Thanks for the tip on Walbro pumps. That pump kit was $138 + shipping. For a Delco pump it would have been ~400+.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
terrible. take a lap.

np!! sorry i didn't get back to you sooner...glad you saved some money on bought the walbro...i've heard nothing but good things about them and it's what im currently using...so far so good!!

for fuel tank straps...thats a good question...id say junkyard myself..? lol
Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Computer geek/IT Student

Quote: Originally Posted by joyride
np!! sorry i didn't get back to you sooner...glad you saved some money on bought the walbro...i've heard nothing but good things about them and it's what im currently using...so far so good!!

for fuel tank straps...thats a good question...id say junkyard myself..? lol
Thanks for the tip. At least I no longer have to try to keep my truck close to interstate highways in cell service range anymore because I was concerned about this factory fuel pump failing since this truck has alot of idle time and it was a NY city car that was not really taken care of. The odometer says 93k, but since I let it warm up for 5-10 minutes when I have to drive it 3 miles (6-8 min) to class (depending on temperature (Warm-Hot=5 min, Cool-Cold=10 min) the engine has more hours on it.
I do keep this truck maintained the best I can without going crazy (oil every 3k, trans every 15k, etc.) just to keep it reliable. Last semester (even with feet of snow on the ground certain days) I did not miss class at all, not even for a vehicle-related problem because it started up on the first try every time. I want to keep it that way.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
4 wheels aren't as fun

mine started to get lound last fall and I just had it fail a week ago. I always replace the filter every year.
every pump that I've heard that is loud has failed shortly after.

walbro is the pumps they use in chrysler. from what I've seen and heard chrysler pumps rarely go bad.
I didn't have time to try to find a pump I used a Airtex since everyone I know says they are good pumps.
the only thing I didn't like is the fact you have to change the factory plug on the wire harness.
they give you a new plug and all the splicers to do it but I just didn't like the idea having to modify my stock plug. but the documents with the pump said that's what causes gm pumps to fail so often.

btw, warming up a car in temps above freezing isn't really necessary. just like changing oil every 3k miles..it's mostly a myth.

Last edited by serpentracer; 09-04-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #12
Computer geek/IT Student

Quote: Originally Posted by serpentracer
mine started to get lound last fall and I just had it fail a week ago. I always replace the filter every year.
every pump that I've heard that is loud has failed shortly after.

walbro is the pumps they use in chrysler. from what I've seen and heard chrysler pumps rarely go bad.
I didn't have time to try to find a pump I used a Airtex since everyone I know says they are good pumps.
the only thing I didn't like is the fact you have to change the factory plug on the wire harness.
they give you a new plug and all the splicers to do it but I just didn't like the idea having to modify my stock plug. but the documents with the pump said that's what causes gm pumps to fail so often.

btw, warming up a car in temps above freezing isn't really necessary. just like changing oil every 3k miles..it's mostly a myth.

Oh no. So this pump is really on it's way out then. I just hope it lasts until next week. It isn't making any weird noises. Just the whine noise it always made. That is funny because I always wanted to stay away from Chrysler products because of all the problems I hear about them. Me and my friends always argue about which car is better: Jeep or the GMC Jimmy.

I thought the factory plug on the Walbro is the same as the one already on the car. It looked like the OEM square connector in the photo. It needs a new harness too? I just hope they don't want to charge me even more for this now.

Also, the warming up thing is just a habit of mine. When it is cold, the engine starts making some faint ticking when I give it gas. I always let it warm up and it doesn't happen if I drive it after 2-3 minutes of idling. I heard from several different mechanics that the engine will last a long time if I let it warm up, so I made it a habit to just let it warm up. I do have to take care of other things before I drive like checking my mail, putting the GPS on the dash, plug in all of my electronics, press the start button on the computer and screen (no joke), plug in my mp3 player, put my seatbelt on, etc so I just start it up before I do all that. If I have to drive 1.5 miles and get on the interstate, I let it go until it is almost to operating temp (7-10 min) and then leave. I just try to be gentle with the engine and trans and not do anything that would make me looking for another unit before 200k. This engine does not burn oil and I don't want it to start anytime soon.

Also with the oil changes: The last time I changed oil on this truck was in June and I haven't even put 2000 miles on it since then. In another few weeks when it gets closer to 2750-3000 (depending on my class schedule) I will do it again. Good thing I have an apartment only 2-3 miles off campus and commutes are short. I don't do oil changes that often because I don't have to drive that much anymore.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #13

Man i call bs on the pump going bad. Mine has made the same buzzing noise since i got my truck and it had 106000 miles on it when i got it and it still does at 130000 and ive never ever had any problems with it and my gas gauge doesnt work. The sending unit and the pump itself have nothing to do with each other. Its probably fine and your worrying over nothing. Chevrolets are notorious for their fuel pumps whining and making noise. Oh yeah btw driving your truck short distances only to campus is terrible for it. For one its not running long enough to even get all the moisture out of the exhaust. I would suggest driving it a little more than just to school but thats my opinion. Good luck though with whatever you decide to do as far as the fuel pump.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
Computer geek/IT Student

Quote: Originally Posted by TarheelfanS10
Man i call bs on the pump going bad. Mine has made the same buzzing noise since i got my truck and it had 106000 miles on it when i got it and it still does at 130000 and ive never ever had any problems with it and my gas gauge doesnt work. The sending unit and the pump itself have nothing to do with each other. Its probably fine and your worrying over nothing. Chevrolets are notorious for their fuel pumps whining and making noise. Oh yeah btw driving your truck short distances only to campus is terrible for it. For one its not running long enough to even get all the moisture out of the exhaust. I would suggest driving it a little more than just to school but thats my opinion. Good luck though with whatever you decide to do as far as the fuel pump.
Thanks for the tip on the noise. The only reason why I am getting the pump replaced now is because the shop has to drop the gas tank anyway to replace rusted brake lines. Since I have 93k on it and alot of mechanics around here say that those pumps fail often around 100-120k (not to mention that I was told that the tank is a nightmare to remove), I decided to get the pump done at the same time to consolidate the labor to save money so I don't have the pump fail in a couple more years. Not to mention having to have to have it towed, and have a $1000 repair bill in my hand for a GM dealer pump and 4 hours labor a shop would charge me if I had to have it towed off the highway. This shop is being reasonable and only charging 2-3 hours labor to replace 2 brake lines (ABS block to rear and front left wheel), part of 1 (ABS block to left wheelwell of the right front brake line)and the fuel pump. I also bought new tank straps and bolts because the old ones will have to be cut off because the bolts are bent from hitting a rock a year ago. I really do not want to have to have this truck towed again because the last 2 times (on one trip on one weekend) I had to get towed (because of a caliper-related brake failure and a huge blunder by a mechanic after the first tow), AAA screwed us by only covering part of the 2 mile first tow and none of the 2nd tow because it was on the Garden State Parkway, so I asked my mother to only renew her card and not renew my card because we have spent so much more money on membership than the benefits it has provided. It does not make much economic sense to renew it in that case because most of the miles (80%) I drive are on highways where road service can only be done by authorized companies (some which do not accept AAA).

I don't just drive it to campus. I go to college in a small town in upstate NY. I have an apartment just outside of the town and the campus commuter lot is only like 3 miles away. I always let it warm up for 5 minutes before I leave on any trip unless it is an emergency. However, the longest trips I take are only 10-15 minutes within the town. Sometimes 20-30 minutes roundtrip without shutting it down. I only get about 11-12MPG because of the low speeds (mostly 25-30 mph, 55 in some places outside of town). Every few weeks I also drive 125 miles home. Also, the trip is now 5 miles to campus because I now have to take a long out of the way detour due to the entire length of the dangerous road that is on the shortest route to campus being closed. I do sometimes get a little bit of steam out the exhaust when it is cold or when I first start it up. How is the moisture so bad to the exhaust and how are the short trips bad for the truck? I already know the muffler has a hairline rust crack in the back of it where the tailpipe is attached to that leaks water. When the muffler goes bad, I am not replacing it. I was told that my engine is too quiet. All the other trucks in this town are MUCH louder. Maybe when my truck loses the muffler it will be as loud.

Last edited by ComputernerdBD; 09-06-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #15

Well replacing the pump while you have the gas tank out if definitely a good idea, but in my opinion it is much much easier to just remove the bed than drop the gas tank. I know this because i did a body lift on mine and the only thing holding your bed on are six bolts, thats it. Then you have acess to everything without removing the gas tank. The fuel pump is right on top.

As far as the exhaust thing goes when your motor is running it generates condensation and this builds up in your exhaust pipes and if only driven for short distances over time will cause the exhaust system to rust. Ive had the exhaust on my truck for several years now and it still looks as good as the day i got it. There are no signs of rust b/c when i drive its more than a few miles down the road which allows time for all of the moisture to escape. Its no big deal, and as far as getting louder having no muffler will make it louder. But in many states having no muffler is illegal, but this is coming from a guy who has neither catalytic converters or mufflers so go figure. Good luck with whatever you do as far as the fuel pump.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #16

Forgot 3 7mm bolts holding the gas filler neck, ground by the lights, and tail light harness. But yes the bed takes no time to remove. I would replace the fuel pump just because its makeing noise. I cant stand a noise comeing from my truck like fuel pump, brakes, any rattle that i know isn't suppose to be their. If the shop already has the tank down might as well have them replace it. JMO
Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #17
Computer geek/IT Student

Well replacing the pump while you have the gas tank out if definitely a good idea, but in my opinion it is much much easier to just remove the bed than drop the gas tank. I know this because i did a body lift on mine and the only thing holding your bed on are six bolts, thats it. Then you have acess to everything without removing the gas tank. The fuel pump is right on top.

As far as the exhaust thing goes when your motor is running it generates condensation and this builds up in your exhaust pipes and if only driven for short distances over time will cause the exhaust system to rust. Ive had the exhaust on my truck for several years now and it still looks as good as the day i got it. There are no signs of rust b/c when i drive its more than a few miles down the road which allows time for all of the moisture to escape. Its no big deal, and as far as getting louder having no muffler will make it louder. But in many states having no muffler is illegal, but this is coming from a guy who has neither catalytic converters or mufflers so go figure. Good luck with whatever you do as far as the fuel pump.
Believe it or not, I am taking a trip the night before (1.5 hours each way) and I am going to refuel before the trip and not refuel before the return trip (as usual. I don't let it go below 1/2 tank). With any luck, I should have 1/4-1/3 of a tank by the time I get back. Then I can drive around for an hour with the trans in 3 on the interstate between 2 exits to burn off whatever fuel I can and then I will go back to my apartment, remove anything electronic (computer, GPS, radar detector, radio faceplate, etc.) and the spare tire and then the next morning it will be empty enough for me to take it to the shop and then they can drop the tank with as little difficulty as possible. I was already planning on making sure the tank is as empty as possible before the repair to make it easier for the shop so it makes a nightmare gas tank removal as easy as possible. Is there anything else the shop would need other than tank straps and the pump kit? Maybe I should even bring a 5 gallon jug of gas for them to fill the tank with afterward.

Only one small problem with removing the bed: There is no bed. It's an SUV. A 98 Jimmy. Other than separating the body from the frame, I was told there is no other way to get to the pump. Unfortunately, the designer thought that adding a hatch in the floor made too much sense because it costs more labor to replace the pump after the warranty expires.

My exhaust is rusted already, but not seriously. It was a NY city car before I bought it in Nov 2007 with 58,000 miles. I used to drive alot longer trips, sometimes 3.5 hours each way nonstop every other weekend from the college I went to in Fall 2009 before I transfered earlier this year. This is my do it all truck. Whether it is a 3 mile/5-10 min commute to campus or a 180 mile road trip packed full of computer equipment, it does it all.

As for the no muffler thing, too many people here don't have them. Noone ever gets pulled over for it. I do see alot of American trucks (even some GM S/T series) that are driving around that are newer than mine that have no muffler or a loud exhaust and have entire body panels rusted away and they are still fine. I even saw a 2001+ Sonoma that had a huge rear wheelwell, courtesy of rust. There are alot of loud, lifted trucks here, too. I know better than to park next to a lifted truck on campus because I might find my truck crushed later because some of the trucks have tires that are taller than my hood!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #18

well scratch the bed didnt know it was a suv. The tanks arent that bad only acouple of hours worth.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #19
4 wheels aren't as fun

jeeps are way better than gmc jimmy. especially the I6 engine.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #20
4 wheels aren't as fun

mine lasted for a little over a year. it's not a buzzing is a whining. like a bearing is bad or a impeller blade was broken off.
the new one is silent.
mine started whining really loud on hot days.

Last edited by serpentracer; 09-07-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #21
Computer geek/IT Student

jeeps are way better than gmc jimmy. especially the I6 engine.
Not trying to start a debate here. I get enough of that from my friend who is on his 2nd Jeep. His first one had to be rebuilt from the ground up for 70% of the value after an accident with only 15k miles on it. It was a 2005 Wrangler. He got rid of it for a 2002 Rubicon recently.

He keeps telling me to get a Jeep. I said no for 3 simple reasons.

1. With all the dangerous stuff I hear about Chrysler products, no way.
2. A Jeep is simply not practical for my purposes. I would lose the do-it-all cargo/passenger carrying capability that the Jimmy offers if I decided to get a Jeep. I sometimes park near Jeeps and I see that my truck is a full 3-5 feet longer than the Jeep.
3. The only thing I use my 4x4 for are dirt roads, ice, snow and some mud. No rocks. Therefore, I have no real use for an offroad machine since I do not do any real offroading.

Jeeps might be good vehicles, but it is not the vehicle for me. Plain and simple.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #22
4 wheels aren't as fun

every manufacture is going to have some problems but over all the jeep cherokee's etc are much better built than anything gm builds.

I never thought so until I started working at a used car lot. I see these jeeps with 260k miles on them ride and drive like one with 60k.
jimmy's and blazers are always pretty much done by 180k.
blazers etc are always plagued by leaking intake gaskets, massive oil pan and rear main seal leaks, and bad injectors.
I6 in a jeep can outlast the 4.3 easily. all inline engines are usually pretty stout engines that last forever.
there were some cherokee's that had bad transmission. I think it was the grand cherokee.

I do think jeep's instruments and dash look cheap. but I'll be damn if those things seem to run and drive great with high miles.
everyone that owns one says they rarely have to put money in it for maintenance.

Last edited by serpentracer; 09-07-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #23
Computer geek/IT Student

every manufacture is going to have some problems but over all the jeep cherokee's etc are much better built than anything gm builds.

I never thought so until I started working at a used car lot. I see these jeeps with 260k miles on them ride and drive like one with 60k.
jimmy's and blazers are always pretty much done by 180k.
blazers etc are always plagued by leaking intake gaskets, massive oil pan and rear main seal leaks, and bad injectors.
I6 in a jeep can outlast the 4.3 easily. all inline engines are usually pretty stout engines that last forever.
there were some cherokee's that had bad transmission. I think it was the grand cherokee.

I do think jeep's instruments and dash look cheap. but I'll be damn if those things seem to run and drive great with high miles.
everyone that owns one says they rarely have to put money in it for maintenance.
Oh wow. Didn't think I was going to start such a controversy. Especially on a GM forum. I thought some S-10 series can make it to 250-300k properly cared for. I use Royal Purple oil and I have a trans cooler and I change all the fluids alot more frequently than the book says to. I take care of my truck and I don't abuse it like my friends do with their cars. I already know about the seal leaks and intake gaskets. I had my intake gaskets replaced with FelPro at 72,000 miles. My oil pan gasket has a SLOW leak. Slow enough it is only a very small spot under the truck overnight. I only have to add like 1/2 a pint between oil changes if that. Not bad enough to consider fixing, so it really isn't a big deal. What is wrong with the injectors? What about if they are kept clean with Lucas or other products?

A Jeep/Dodge with a bad transmission? How do you explain that when I brought my truck in to get the trans cooler installed, 2 out of 3 of the bays had Chrysler vehicles there getting transmission rebuilds? One was a Jeep Cherokee, one was a Dodge midsize pickup. There were others parked outside with damaged transmissions. My GMC was the only GM truck there and it was NOT getting major repairs! Just a device meant to prevent just that!

Also with Chrysler: http://www.donotbuydodge.ca/
http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2007/1...e-durango.html
http://www.dontbuydodgechryslervehicles.com/
Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
4 wheels aren't as fun

that's the thing, you can negelet a jeep and it makes it to 300k.
you're talking about dodge etc. I'm talking about jeep only.
there is a difference. jeeps aren't like a chevy and gmc where they share all the same parts such as engines and transmissions.

jeeps even hold thier value much better than a blazer or jimmy.
look on craigslist and see how much they are going for. you'd be lucky to get $3k for a loaded 2002 jimmy.
but you could get $6k from a jeep cherokee

I like my sonoma but lets face it, it's not a well built vehicle. niether is a jimmy or blazer.
you don't have 1/4 of the problems from a jeep as you would a blazer. I know way too many people with jeeps to know better.

Last edited by serpentracer; 09-08-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #25
Computer geek/IT Student

that's the thing, you can negelet a jeep and it makes it to 300k.
you're talking about dodge etc. I'm talking about jeep only.
there is a difference. jeeps aren't like a chevy and gmc where they share all the same parts such as engines and transmissions.

jeeps even hold thier value much better than a blazer or jimmy.
look on craigslist and see how much they are going for. you'd be lucky to get $3k for a loaded 2002 jimmy.
but you could get $6k from a jeep cherokee

I like my sonoma but lets face it, it's not a well built vehicle. niether is a jimmy or blazer.
you don't have 1/4 of the problems from a jeep as you would a blazer. I know way too many people with jeeps to know better.
Ok, I don't want to debate about this any longer. Please, let's stop this now. Jeeps and GM trucks are good vehicles. Let's leave it at that. I suggest you look at this: http://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles.shtml

Not a Jeep or GM vehicle in sight!!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #26
Computer geek/IT Student

Ok, the pump and brake line replacement is tomorrow. I managed to drive the truck until it had just around ~1/4 of a tank. Not going to go any lower than that. I was told that I would suck all the junk from the bottom of the tank and damage the injectors. I tried to siphon the gas originally to try to remove and have the shop filter/reuse it or get rid of it in a responsible way, but the hose wouldn't even enter the tank. The hose wasn't even wet. The fuel pump sounds alot weaker now. I turn the key and the pitch is much lower. I don't know if it is the battery or not (I ran it down a couple weeks back. Just to the point of not being able to turn the engine over, but all of my accessories still worked. The alternator is new.) or if I damaged the pump somehow. The engine still starts right up as it always has and the pump seems to have a higher pitch for a few seconds after the engine is started.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #27
Computer geek/IT Student

Unfortunately, those of you who said the pump was on it's way out were correct. Last night I let it run to 1/4 of a tank so the shop could replace the pump today. The noise had been changing pitch all week and I had to hold the key a little bit longer to start. This morning it took a few seconds (never happened before) to start the truck. I made it to the shop and checked in at the desk. The mechanic tried to start it to move it into the bay. I heard from inside that he just kept cranking it. I ran outside to see what was going on. I asked him to cycle the key a couple times. NO FUEL PUMP NOISE AT ALL. The pump basically stopped working in the parking lot of the shop just minutes before the appointment to replace it and the brake lines. I still had just under a 1/4 of a tank in there because I didn't want to run it dry. It took 4 mechanics to PUSH it into the bay. I had the pump replaced with a Walbro TU429. No audible noise at all from the driver seat. I can only hear it when I put my ear near the tank. They also replaced the inline filter and clean the tank. It starts up cleaner now. The cranking with no fuel pressure didn't even set a code. It turned out real well. I don't know how this is possible how and where the pump failed. When I got the car back, it had around the same amount of gas in it. I don't know if they reused the gas that was in it or not, but I put 13.5 gallons in it at the gas station. I have no intention of running it below 1/2 or 1/3 MINIMUM unless by some misfortune I have to replace it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.