Flex-a-lite electric fan kit - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Flex-a-lite electric fan kit

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Flex-a-lite electric fan kit

I have been reading and informing myself about the different e-fan conversions some of the members have done. I hear different cfm requirements for the 4.3. I have a 5spd 2wd and I mentioned this because I don't have the additional cooling requirements of an automatic tranny. I want a complete kit, and flex-a-lite makes one for 200 bucks complete for my particular application. I called their tech support and verify that it has the controller and the temperature probe. The only thing that worries me is that their fan is 1250cfm. I though it was kind of low and the rep said it should be adequate for my truck. I told him I live in south florida where our winters are hotter than summertime up north. He assured me that 1250cfm is plenty. Of course he is trying to make a sale and that is why I have some doubts.

Has any member here used the flex-a-lite kit? and if so how happy or unhappy are they with the results?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
goin broke but n style

User is: OffLine
Re: Flex-a-lite electric fan kit

that is tooo low of CFM. you need 2500 easy.

ff dynamics has some vry nice kits. they are more, but push 3k+ cfm. IMO the more the better, there is a member that just installed one and he likes the kit. look them up.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #3

check out zirgo.com they make a kit for the s10 it is a little high but comes with everything needed and is 3630fcfm according to there site.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #4

Hmmmmmm.......My Flex-a-lite kit is 2800cfm. It works good but makes a bit of noise
Old 12-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #5

thanks for all the replies but I think I found the solution and hopefully help others that are thanking of doing the conversion without morgaging the house.. I measured the factory setup on my 94 vette and is very close fit to the blazer radiator, even the 4" thickness is damn near perfect. I figured if it cools the LT1 it should cool the 4.3. The vette setup even new goes for bout 100.00, a lot less than the flex-a-lite part#420 which goes for about 369.00 plus shipping. I will probably tackle this project after christmas but I will keep you'll informed.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
goin broke but n style

most common fans on here are

taurus
ls1/lt1 fans
concord fans
i have read 1 or 2 running the hhr fan

I have a V6 charger electric fan on my 78 camaro with a built SBC, but it doesn't have A/C. andit keeps it cool.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Super Sport

I have the Flex-a-lite 480 that pushes 3000cfm and it does cool down the engine... But to be honest if i had to do it again, is not worth the money.... I mean yes is cool to tell ur friends that you have a electric fans on your S10 :-)
Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

post pics when you start the instal please!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #9

hello I have a "92" LT Tahoe 4x4 that Ive been getting back into shape and one of the mods Ive done was a e-fan.Initially I thought all was good until AC weather got here and the ac just wasnt what it was supposed tobe. Being an ex-GmTech I went through the normal troubleshooting and found out that I wasnt getting enough air flow through the condensor with the efan.Ithink it was a 3200cfm. The truck would run normal engine temps with ac on until sitting still then would start climbing. wasnt satisfied with the fact that I couldnt use the ac so I started looking into putting it infront of the condensor and push cool air instead of pull warm air. Had to use 2-11in.fans because of the grill support bracket. Just wired them in together with a temp probe/controller unit and they worked great for the ac problem,both running at the same time. Then the problem was that when I would run at 45-55mph for any lenghth of time,ac on fans on,the truck would run cool enough to cause ect sensor to cool off and the ecm would shift in and out of closed loop.So back to the drawing board,I decided that I'd have to cycle the fans.A little tricky getting the wiring just right but it works great.The fan by the engine coolant outlet side of the radiator is controlled by the temp probe and cycles with the coolant temp(probe at radiator inlet).The other fan is wired into a relay that I use to pick up a signal from the ac clutch,running it only when the ac is on. Even wired in a override switch for the ac controlled fan for when I was towing the boat(just in case). It was a lot of trial and error but getting that stock clutch fan gone was worth it.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #10

I had the flex a lite #60 on my 96 and was not impressed. It fit perfect, but the thermostat broke after about 12 months or 5000 miles of use and it would not turn on. I used it when i was in Baton Rouge so a very similar climate to yours. I did not have AC so not much load on the engine, but until I put the manual override switch in, it still sucked. It also barely helped the mileage (maybe 0.1) compared to the stock 3 blade clutch fan. Waste of money for me.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Maybe later.

I took my fan out during a cold spell we had a while back to experiment and got a 2+ MPG improvement on two tanks. I was still getting 18 out of the truck at the time too, so it took me over 20 avg, which made me happy plus the engine seemed loads peppier.

Just don't have the money right now for a legit FFDynamics kit, which is the only one worth while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.