EGR Delete Pros/Cons - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

EGR Delete Pros/Cons

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
ATP
-JOE-

User is: OffLine
EGR Delete Pros/Cons

My EGR is making my truck run like shit AGAIN. I have been reading threads all over the place about deleting the EGR with a custom plate that bolts where the EGR mounts and just stops the recirculation. I hear that it jacks up the cylinder temperature and can kill your exhaust valves or something.

If I remove the EGR, what exactly will the difference be performance wise?

What are the downfalls of doing this? Internal damage? I'm aware it will throw a code, I really don't care.

Anybody currently daily driving their truck with an EGR delete? Advice? Was it worth it? Links to plates?

Thanks a ton in advance, I can stand my truck when it runs like this, and cleaning it seems to only pay off for a few months.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
WICKED 6 RACING

Re: EGR Delete Pros/Cons

It won't hurt anything. My 92 been delete for years. On the open highway it gets a little better gas mileage beyond that nothing I can account for.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
ATP
-JOE-

Is your truck now immune to random rough idling and stalling? That's what I want to do it for...my truck runs smooth and solid for months then out of nowhere I have the EGR "cam" at idle and the occasional stall out when slowing down.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Dig Or Die=I Die

Ive had my EGR deleted and disabled in the PCM tune like a year or 2 ago. I have had no ill effects because of it. I don't think there is a down side except for causing more pollution. Some might say you'll get worse fuel mileage but I don't see how. My mileage hasn't suffered any.

As from as the pro's go.... You won't get hot filthy exhaust gases pumped into your engine. Should have less hesitation when you accelerate. You won't have to worry about the POS getting clogged up and you got a little less sh!t in the way when you're working on it.

Last edited by 12sws27; 04-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
ATP
-JOE-

I'm going to do it. What do you guys have covering the holes? You fab something up or buy something pre fab'd?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
The other "BODY" man

You can buy a plug for the intake. For the exhaust I just welded up the nut and put it back on and just made a plate and gasket for the valve.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
goin broke but n style

just put a solid plate b/t the egr valve and the intake. Leave teh egr plugged up and the CEL wont come on. I am building one for my 94 now for the long haul. i build a plate to go b/t but it was thin and i was affraid it would not last, so i am goin thicker. My CEL never came on. just leave teh EGR plugged up.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
ATP
-JOE-

Okay I get what you're saying, by leaving the EGR still plugged in, it wont freak out and throw a code, and by making a plate of some sort, it will keep the EGR from being used. Sounds legit. I don't have any metal working tools really, just a cheap ass dremel and JB Weld. Where would I get the proper metal and such to do this? I mean obviously the shim wouldn't have to be the same shape as the mounting area, just big enough to cover the ports and drilled so I can run the bolts through it...
Old 04-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #9
ATP
-JOE-

Shit, dont mean to double post

Are there any other things on the 4.3 CPI that can be deleted emissions wise? I don't care about the environment. I care about removing bullshit.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
Ω Master Jedi Ω

ther is a store on eBay taht sells egr block off plates and restrictor plates for the 4.3 , that is where i got my restrictor from http://stores.ebay.com/Custom-Billet-Works-Inc

Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #11
ATP
-JOE-

Ironically I just bought a plate from that eBay store a few hours ago. I figure its a killer deal considering it comes with a new gasket which I'd have to replace if I were to just clean the EGR ya know?

I'll throw a picture up of it installed when it comes.

Sounda Barrier - What are the bolt heads like? Hexagonal socket drive? I have to buy a socket for that if they are.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by Sound Barrier
ther is a store on eBay taht sells egr block off plates and restrictor plates for the 4.3 , that is where i got my restrictor from http://stores.ebay.com/Custom-Billet-Works-Inc

Thanks man!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Ω Master Jedi Ω

the restrictor had regular type bolts

i think the block off has allen bolts for it

np Brad
Old 04-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
ATP
-JOE-

Alright thanks man. That's prefect I have every allen size known to man from riding BMX bikes.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
LadiesLoveAGuyInABowtie

ya i got that restrictor too it helped but i still rev up to 1500 rpm at stoplights for no reason it pisses me off im wasting gas (ive alread tried everything tps, iac, maf, checked for vacuum leaks). Im thinkin about getting the full block off plate and just takin out the egr but i havent done anything with my computer i dont care if it throws a code but will my engine go into limp mode?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #16

I see smog failures for possible High NOx and missing EGR on the visual. Performance-wise there's no EGR command at idle or WOT. The EGR lowering the combustion chamber temperature allows for higher timing advance, so EGR delete will result in lower possible advance.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #17
ATP
-JOE-

My block off plate came in today. Ripped the EGR out completely (does throw the CEL on), and installed the plate. My truck runs buttery smooth, no sputtery acceleration or odd behavior in the lower RPM's like before. Literally solved the problems I was having SO FAR. Obviously I only got to test it for one day, so we'll see if anything comes back over the next week (could be coincidence that it is running perfect knowing these motors). I will probably extend the wiring for the EGR plug and just mount it to the firewall or something to make sure my ECM doesn't shit a brick or something.

alvisoroadsters: I do not have emissions testing in Illinois due to the year of my truck, no worries there.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 AM   #18
terrible. take a lap.

cool, i had my egr code deleted but havent done anything about the block off plate until now, i just bought this one from that ebay company someone posted...THANKS!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #19
Sometimes I'm mean...alot

I left everything in place and had the EGR turned off by wait4me performance
Old 04-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #20
ATP
-JOE-

So far it still is running good. However! My temp. gauge kept going from normal to max'd out and lighting the CHECK GAUGES light. But it would go back down after a minute or two, then back up. Idk if that has anything to do with it. I'm plugging the EGR in tomorrow to eliminate the CEL and see if it drives different with the plate.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #21
terrible. take a lap.

i just wanted to show everyone that ebay block off plate i bought so errrrryone has an idea of what its like and what not...15.29 was the cost of it...haha...i like it so far, and they use allen head bolts so it looks better and what not...

Old 04-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
98 s10 ext cab v6 5 spd

have you been driving with that motor? because i took off the pully next to the alternator and my belt would squeel soooo bad and the volts would go down.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #23
terrible. take a lap.

Quote: Originally Posted by low98ch3vy
have you been driving with that motor? because i took off the pully next to the alternator and my belt would squeel soooo bad and the volts would go down.
ya, i got a different belt though...mine doesn't squeak...the belt i got was 85.5 inches long.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #24

I'm thinking of doing this on my 93 CPI as well. Can't figure out any other reason that my truck won't idle correctly.

ATP---can you post a picture of yours installed? Did it come with bolts as well?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #25
Ω Master Jedi Ω

yeah the block off plate comes with two new allen head bolts,
the restrictor plate comes with two new longer regular type bolts.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #26

Quote: Originally Posted by Sound Barrier
yeah the block off plate comes with two new allen head bolts,
the restrictor plate comes with two new longer regular type bolts.
Thanks. I realized that after I asked. I bought the restrictor plate and didn't notice a bit of difference. Hopin' the block off plate will fix my idle issue and I'll get the code tuned out in the future.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #27

Alright so I did the marine intake manifold swap and this deletes the EGR I left it plugged in and just hanging there. I will turn it off on the computer here soon. After I turn it off in the computer I can unplug it right? Also is there anywhere else that I might need to use those restrictor plates and block off plates? Anything in the exhuast anywhere that I need to blcok off?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #28
Dig Or Die=I Die

Yeah, there's a metal hose going from the driver side exht manifold to the intake manifold. At the time I removed mine. The parts store didn't have the right size plugs to plug the holes. So I cut off the ends of the EGR hose and made plugs out of them.

Here's some pic of where the hose goes, some pics of the EGR ends I made into plugs and a piece of aluminum I use to make a Block off plate. You don't have to make the thing the exact same shape as the EGR valve gasket. I just did out of boredom. Wasn't much going on at work that day...

Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #29

i'm pretty sure my CPI doesn't have anything that goes to the exhaust. Gonna have to check that out
Old 04-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #30

Quote: Originally Posted by 93_Deuce
i'm pretty sure my CPI doesn't have anything that goes to the exhaust. Gonna have to check that out

Your CPI motor, has an heat crossover port, on the head that supplies the exhaust gas for the EGR

To the original poster,
Do you run an EGR gasket with a screen to prevent debris from getting the EGR stuck part way open?
The Con of removing it, is the the EPA can fine you $10K for tampering with the emissions control system
The Pro to removing it, is with the way OB has the country messed up, the goverment could really use the money, from your fine, and it might help out all the rest of us tax paying slaves, of the mess he created
Old 04-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #31

Quote: Originally Posted by poconojoe
Your CPI motor, has an heat crossover port, on the head that supplies the exhaust gas for the EGR
That's what I thought. I noticed that when I had the intake off.

So, my point is that I don't have to worry about anything on the exhaust side. All I have to do is install the block off plate and get the computer tuned when I don't want the code anymore.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #32

To the original poster,
Do you run an EGR gasket with a screen to prevent debris from getting the EGR stuck part way open?
The Con of removing it, is the the EPA can fine you $10K for tampering with the emissions control system
The Pro to removing it, is with the way OB has the country messed up, the goverment could really use the money, from your fine, and it might help out all the rest of us tax paying slaves, of the mess he created
The EPA isn't gonna check under my hood. Me and the OP do not have emissions testing anyway, so who cares?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #33

Quote: Originally Posted by Brad92
The EPA isn't gonna check under my hood. Me and the OP do not have emissions testing anyway, so who cares?
You/re talking about 2 differant things, your state might not check emissions in your area, but the EPA is federal and nothing could stop them from checking your vehicle, if they wanted to
Old 04-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #34
Dig Or Die=I Die

Yeah I can see some EPA inspector coming up to me with a search warrant to search my truck for environmental violations. LMMFAO!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #35

You/re talking about 2 differant things, your state might not check emissions in your area, but the EPA is federal and nothing could stop them from checking your vehicle, if they wanted to
Yeah, technically they could, but why in the hell would they send somebody to Bleiblerville, TX, home of like 300 people, to check my stock truck?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #36

Quote: Originally Posted by Brad92
Yeah, technically they could, but why in the hell would they send somebody to Bleiblerville, TX, home of like 300 people, to check my stock truck?
To justify their uselessness, that's how a bureaucracy works

PS Your truck isn't stock, they see your mods in your sig, remember big brother is watching you. Your EGR mod could be the final straw that caused the last required molecule of the ozone, protecting the earth, to be depleted, and cause the final destruction of the planet earth, as we know it. Or maybe I'll just do it, by passing wind
Old 04-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #37
terrible. take a lap.

lol...wow
Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #38

To justify their uselessness, that's how a bureaucracy works

PS Your truck isn't stock, they see your mods in your sig, remember big brother is watching you. Your EGR mod could be the final straw that caused the last required molecule of the ozone, protecting the earth, to be depleted, and cause the final destruction of the planet earth, as we know it. Or maybe I'll just do it, by passing wind
My truck IS stock. I have really no engine mods other than a K&N filter, cut open airbox, and the throttle blade mod. Those shouldn't affect emissions. The others are just mods that make my driving experience more enjoyable.

You have know idea about the problems with diesel EGR's. They are a joke, especially on the Powerstrokes. Mine has just been messed up from the factory giving a constant CEL.

This is kinda funny...
Old 05-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #39
ATP
-JOE-

If you're that worried about "big brother" go live in the woods and get off the internet. If the EPA was that eager to find me and fine me, I wouldn't even care...shit luck will find you eventually anyways.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #40

Quote: Originally Posted by ATP
If you're that worried about "big brother" go live in the woods and get off the internet. If the EPA was that eager to find me and fine me, I wouldn't even care...shit luck will find you eventually anyways.
The woods ain't no good, I live in a cave lined with aluminum foil and get my internet by piggynacking from somebody else's WiFi signal
If the EPA guys get past the bears that live in the front of the cave, they're not going to get past the vampire bats

Last edited by poconojoe; 05-01-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #41

What about your tinfoil hat?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #42
neex

Quote: Originally Posted by ATP
Ironically I just bought a plate from that eBay store a few hours ago. I figure its a killer deal considering it comes with a new gasket which I'd have to replace if I were to just clean the EGR ya know?

I'll throw a picture up of it installed when it comes.

Sounda Barrier - What are the bolt heads like? Hexagonal socket drive? I have to buy a socket for that if they are.

Can a plate not be cut out of aluminum and a gasket made with black high temp RTV silicone? You could likely use the bottom of a coffee can and go for years before having any sort of problems. Just a thought. You won't get any show points for a custom billet cnc'd part burried beneath a dead valve.
Mine crapped out last night and lit up my cat like a candle. I'm putting a blocker plate in today after messing with these things for years I've had enough. Screened gaskets help the most but it seems that sooner than later a cleaning, rebuild, replace, or guzzle beer, swear, and repeat will be in order.

RIP EGR.

A.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #43
Dig Or Die=I Die

Quote: Originally Posted by neex
Can a plate not be cut out of aluminum and a gasket made with black high temp RTV silicone? You could likely use the bottom of a coffee can and go for years before having any sort of problems. Just a thought. You won't get any show points for a custom billet cnc'd part burried beneath a dead valve.
Mine crapped out last night and lit up my cat like a candle. I'm putting a blocker plate in today after messing with these things for years I've had enough. Screened gaskets help the most but it seems that sooner than later a cleaning, rebuild, replace, or guzzle beer, swear, and repeat will be in order.

RIP EGR.

A.
That's all I did. Picked up a piece of scape at work, traced the gasket, then cut and drilled it. I didn't have to make it the exact shape as the gasket but work was slow so....wth right....

Old 06-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #44
Dig Or Die=I Die

Oh shoot! I already posted those pics!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #45

i have a cel and cant keep it from coming back, how can i permanently delete it, i have the blacl plate in, i have the gasket on right, i have the egr plugged on, it sucks when you're driving down the road deleting the code about every 10-15 miles
Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #46
terrible. take a lap.

its because you have to get it deleted from the computer...go get a wait4me tune

your egr is most likely throwing a code constantly because you have it not hooked up properly since its not in the engine block due to the fact you have the egr block off plate installed...

did you also block off the big hose that runs from the exhaust manifold?? and the other end of it too...

just tune it out of your computer.
or just ignore it until you have to get emissions done.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #47
Dig Or Die=I Die

Like Brian said. The EGR DTC has to be disabled in the trucks PCM. Getting a mail order tune will get rid of it and make your truck funner to drive.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #48
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Since I'm doing a W4M tune and a few other motor mods at the same time I'm interested in doing the EGR delete. HOWEVER, my Sonoma is an '02 and for whatever reason the description on the eBay block of plate/plugs kit says it fits '92-'01 4.3s

Is there any reason why it WOULDN'T fit my '02 4.3? I haven't actually looked at the motor to see if everything looks the same on mine as what I'm seeing in your pictures but I still thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #49
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Ok well I answered my own question by searching a little bit farther here on the site and also looking at this picture that I found of my motor:

What I found is that '02up 4.3s DO NOT have an EGR at all, so there is no need to delete it/block it off. Saves me 40ish bucks

Now the question I have is this... behind the A/C compressor there is a valve of sorts that sticks up out of the intake manifold. It has 2 or 3 vaccuum lines going to it and it just twists into its holder. WHAT IS THIS?? I'm putting a Sanden engine driven air compressor on my 4.3 in the stock AC compressor location and my hoses coming out of the compressor are directly in line to with this valve. I can route them around it but if it is something that is not necessary (like an EGR valve) then I'd like to just get rid of it and free up the space for the air lines (which get very hot)

I'll try to get a picture tonight but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by layinbody31; 08-09-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #50
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4

Ok, answered my own question again LOL. Found out that it is something to do with the PCV valve. If I just vent the PCV to the atmosphere can I delete this valve jobber and plug up the hole in the intake? What would I do with the vaccuum line that connects to it then?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.