EGR Delete: Benefits/Drawbacks? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

EGR Delete: Benefits/Drawbacks?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Computer geek/IT Student

User is: OffLine
EGR Delete: Benefits/Drawbacks?

Hey everyone. I keep noticing EGR delete plates for 4.3L engines on eBay and elsewhere. What exactly are the benefits or drawbacks to removing the EGR? Would it cause damage or throw the Check Engine light on? Does it improve gas mileage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #2

Re: EGR Delete: Benefits/Drawbacks?

Does not improve gas mileage, does help keep carbon buildup out of motor.1996 or newer does not need block off plate just delete it in a tune and it will not open and no check engine light. If you use a block off plate on OBDII you will have a check engine light and have to get it turned of VIA tune so might as well just get everything deleted with a tune. You can use a block off plate to completely remove the EGR and give you a little more room is so desired...I just left mine on and deleted it through the tune as well as my kids.

OBDI you will need a block off plate and need Brian at tbichips or someone else that knows how to program chips delete it for you.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Computer geek/IT Student

Quote: Originally Posted by onesickbravada
Does not improve gas mileage, does help keep carbon buildup out of motor.1996 or newer does not need block off plate just delete it in a tune and it will not open and no check engine light. If you use a block off plate on OBDII you will have a check engine light and have to get it turned of VIA tune so might as well just get everything deleted with a tune. You can use a block off plate to completely remove the EGR and give you a little more room is so desired...I just left mine on and deleted it through the tune as well as my kids.

OBDI you will need a block off plate and need Brian at tbichips or someone else that knows how to program chips delete it for you.
Wow. What about removing it, blocking it off, securing it and leaving it plugged into the computer? Eliminates the need for a tune, but keeps the light off?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by ComputernerdBD
Wow. What about removing it, blocking it off, securing it and leaving it plugged into the computer? Eliminates the need for a tune, but keeps the light off?
Wont work...you will get a CEL.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by onesickbravada
Wont work...you will get a CEL.
If you have a 1996 or newer and want to delete it just get a WFM tune and have Jesse delete all the egr crap...send in your computer and it is $75 and you will get better mileage and more horse power with the tune.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Computer geek/IT Student

It is a 1998. I will look into it. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

I have remove my EGR but i didn't find any drawbacks in my car. It is running just like as before. I don't think it has down side effect of disabling the EGR valve. Some says that you will get low mileage poor car performance but nothing happened with my car. Its running nicely.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #8

Wink Re: EGR Delete: Benefits/Drawbacks?

Hi everyone...new guy to the forum...with a question about the EGR delete. I have a '97 S10 (X Code VIN) 4.3 and I'm rather frustrated with the EGR system. I had a P1406 code, replaced the EGR valve, the code cleared for a time...and has now returned. Couple of questions...

Where is the DPFE Sensor (EGR Pressure sensor)?

Where is the EGR tube (my valve is mounted on top of the engine...no tube there)?

Can someone explain how I can obtain the 'EGR delete' tune?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide...
Old 11-12-2011, 02:30 AM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by FastEddie
Hi everyone...new guy to the forum...with a question about the EGR delete. I have a '97 S10 (X Code VIN) 4.3 and I'm rather frustrated with the EGR system. I had a P1406 code, replaced the EGR valve, the code cleared for a time...and has now returned. Couple of questions...

Where is the DPFE Sensor (EGR Pressure sensor)?

Where is the EGR tube (my valve is mounted on top of the engine...no tube there)?

Can someone explain how I can obtain the 'EGR delete' tune?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide...
Take the EGR off and clean out any carbon blockage. That code indicates your EGR pintle is stuck due to carbon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.