dexcool flush.. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

dexcool flush..

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
dexcool flush..

ok heres the deal ive searched countless hours on how to flush this crap out of my entire cooling system i have found alot on doing this and there are many diffrent ways but i have not found ONE DIRECT how to on doing this...i dont want this stuff in the system anymore. its time this year to flush and i need a how to please help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 02:16 AM   #2

Re: dexcool flush..

i had some in my old motor it started to thicken and chunk up even after changing it a few times. finally my motor overheated and i bought a new one because of cooling problems. i personally flushed it 3 or 4 times within 3 months and it wouldn't go away.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #3
Founding member of DA

User is: Online

buy some coolant flush treatment and read the directions on the back
usually you add that run it while its warmed up, drain it, fill with water and run it, drain that and fill it again with new coolant water mix
if its real bad you can use a couple bottles of the flush stuff and do that step multiple times
Old 01-15-2009, 02:23 AM   #4

see the blaze has 46K on it and ive never flushed anything and ive been reading about all this crap dexcool lately i would rather just flush it out before it gets too late..i know how to do the heater core and radiator but what about the coolant left over in the block??? ive seen a few things on here but not enough solid info to tackle it all...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #5

I just had a shop flush mine out, best way to do it IMO. Flush and fill was like 50 bucks, and the guy said the stuff was NASTY. They recommend flushing anything that has, or should have had dexacool in it because it's so bad for the motors.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Chip Chipperson

ok.best way to do it.

go to local parts store.get a flush kit,made by prestone i think.it has a tee fitting in it.all you have to do is cut one of your heater hoses,insert the correct fitting in into the hoses then tighten with the provided clamps.you then proceed to hook up you standard garden hose to above mentioned fitting.turn water on.then open drain on radiator,then cranks truck.i let mine flush for a while.i also took out the thermostat just to make sure it flushed the whole system.you then turn the truck off.let water run for a few more minutes,then cut the water off.

now you unhook the garden hose and place the provided cap that is in the kit on the tee fitting.close the radiator drain.now proceed to put the correct mixture of green antifreeze/water.once it seems like it is full crank the vehicle and allow the thermostat to warm up and open.let the vehicle run without the radiator cap to allow it to "burp"(letting all the air out of the system).

this has been the best way i have found to fully flush they system.it gets all the hoses,engine passage ways,radiator and heater core.anymore questions just let me know.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #7

thanks blazerman yea ive seen the flush n fill kit...but the only thing i do know is to watch the pressure on the graden hose because too high pressure can fock up the heater core...and i thought that you were not supposed to use regular water to flush the block only Distilled water..??? not quite sure...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #8

The water from the flush is only going to be in there temporarily, so the shit in it doesn't have the time to corrode and eat away the parts. When you refill the cooling system for long term use, then you use distilled water.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Chip Chipperson

beat me to it
Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #10

lol well thanks guys...i know that bmxbang had started a thread a while ago he had bought the Flush n Fill kit does anyone know if he got around to doin it??
Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #11

I don't mean to hi jack this thread so please don't think i am
I was wondering shoudl i call the mechanic and tell him not to use dexcool when he gets the truck back togethere since he is replasing the INtake Manifold gasket ?
should i tell him to use regular preston or 50-50 and not use dexcool what should i have him use
Thanks
also do i have to worry about it being in the block still ?
or will the flush run that all out
Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Mr. Sparkle

Quote: Originally Posted by PimpingA1997Jimmy
I don't mean to hi jack this thread so please don't think i am
I was wondering shoudl i call the mechanic and tell him not to use dexcool when he gets the truck back togethere since he is replasing the INtake Manifold gasket ?
should i tell him to use regular preston or 50-50 and not use dexcool what should i have him use
Thanks
also do i have to worry about it being in the block still ?
or will the flush run that all out
Chances are that they will use the green stuff by default. I have not been to any shop other then the dealer who uses dex cool. Its all personal preference. I dont mind Dex cool, it just needs to be changed every 2 years. The green stuff does not gum up like dexcool does, however it does become acidic. And it will start to eat away at aluminum peices along with gaskets.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
Wannabe Dragger

The flush and fill will get the stuff in the block out... Should anyways lol. When I brought my truck in to have it flushed I was considering asking him (my uncle owns a shop) to change it to the green coolant. I ended up not asking him, but when I got there to pick it up, he told me he changed it. He said he does it to every one that comes in there because he's seen too many problems with it.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

I'd assume that shops would use Dex-Cool instead of the green stuff. Almost everyone knows that GM has their own coolant, but yeah I would give him a call and ask to put the green coolant in.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
Founding member of DA

okay the dex cool issue was with the original stuff it has been re formualted so the newer cars dont see problems i have no problems with using it but i personally keep a bottle of preston global coolant with me it mixes with everything
Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
Local Tech

i usually pull the block drains out, and run water through the radiator till it comes out of the block drains as clear water
Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #17

ok so the non dexcool the green stuff can
eat away at the gaskets wich could couse the same problem to happen again ?
and it can also ruind the radiator is that what you guys are saying but its better to use that stuff anyway ?
im confused don't understand how come the green stuff is better is the dexcool the reason i hear a slushing sound somtime or is that with all the stuff
If i plan on having the coolant system flushed every year should i just keep the dex cool ?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by pack of q tips
okay the dex cool issue was with the original stuff it has been re formualted so the newer cars dont see problems i have no problems with using it but i personally keep a bottle of preston global coolant with me it mixes with everything

so is the dexcool now a newer formula ?
or is it the same you just mean they fixed and did more work to the vehicles so they can use it now ?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #19
Local Tech

ok so the non dexcool the green stuff can
eat away at the gaskets wich could couse the same problem to happen again ?
and it can also ruind the radiator is that what you guys are saying but its better to use that stuff anyway ?
im confused don't understand how come the green stuff is better is the dexcool the reason i hear a slushing sound somtime or is that with all the stuff
If i plan on having the coolant system flushed every year should i just keep the dex cool ?
you have to consider coolant as a wear item...... like brake pads. green coolant is good for typically 2 years..... the dexcool is supposedly good for 5

green turns into an acid, red turns into sludge, and in some cases will turn into rock hard clumps
Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #20

Quote: Originally Posted by lt1s10onair
you have to consider coolant as a wear item...... like brake pads. green coolant is good for typically 2 years..... the dexcool is supposedly good for 5

green turns into an acid, red turns into sludge, and in some cases will turn into rock hard clumps

Ok well im for sure going to have him flush it out and use the green stuff no dex cool dex is the red or pink stuff right ? and since i change my fluids like coolant eveyr 30k

wich is like a year and a half i should go with green
aslong as i change it and don't let it sit for a long time but have to make sure i put a sticker there that says do not use dex cool and make sure anytime it goes to shop tell them not to put dexool in it
Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #21
Local Tech

Ok well im for sure going to have him flush it out and use the green stuff no dex cool dex is the red or pink stuff right ? and since i change my fluids like coolant eveyr 30k

wich is like a year and a half i should go with green
aslong as i change it and don't let it sit for a long time but have to make sure i put a sticker there that says do not use dex cool and make sure anytime it goes to shop tell them not to put dexool in it
yes, yes and yes
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #22

ok cool thanks
aso is one coolant better thent he other as in somthing for warmer weather then somthign in colder weather like if im going to spend the summer in texas where its going to be like in the 90s and 100s most the summer
is one better for warmer weather ?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #23
Local Tech

ok cool thanks
aso is one coolant better thent he other as in somthing for warmer weather then somthign in colder weather like if im going to spend the summer in texas where its going to be like in the 90s and 100s most the summer
is one better for warmer weather ?
gm recommends slightly more than 50% water..... id recommend prestone
Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #24
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

GM also reccomends to fill to the hot line on the overflow tank when the engine is cold. They figured out it was better after they produced all of the vehicles that did have Dex-Cool problems, like ours.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #25

ok so use prestone 50-50 ?
and fill rad all the way up to the top and then fill the over flow to the hot line on the over flow right ?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #26
Mr. Sparkle

Quote: Originally Posted by lt1s10onair

Exactly.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #27

wow i got thread jacked lolol...
Old 01-16-2009, 04:17 AM   #28

yeh your thread did get jacked, but it answered the question I was about to post thanks blazerextreme...I know you dont know me but I hang with rich and dave and derek and them sometimes, and heard the rear of the blazer is going down so, true??? Truck is clean , cant wait to see it fully layed out
Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #29

Quote: Originally Posted by blazerxtreme18
wow i got thread jacked lolol...

Hey Man im really sorry i did not mean to jack your thread i just didn't think eveyroen would want to have another thread on the same subject i hope i did not piss you off by jacking it

Ross
Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #30

Quote: Originally Posted by SlamBlackSdime
yeh your thread did get jacked, but it answered the question I was about to post thanks blazerextreme...I know you dont know me but I hang with rich and dave and derek and them sometimes, and heard the rear of the blazer is going down so, true??? Truck is clean , cant wait to see it fully layed out

lol word...yea never met ya wasnt around much last year...hibernated lol but im back around now...yea daves gunna be doin the back soon...i still gotta rip out the interior and whatnot for him but yea its goin down man...ill prolly end up meetin ya soon..
Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #31

Hey Man im really sorry i did not mean to jack your thread i just didn't think eveyroen would want to have another thread on the same subject i hope i did not piss you off by jacking it

Ross
na man not at all...everyone im sure wants to know the same thing about this crappy dex-cool sh*t
Old 01-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #32

na man not at all...everyone im sure wants to know the same thing about this crappy dex-cool sh*t
i called the shop since he said he was not going to start on it till the weekend
i told him wait don't start yet becouse im seriously thinking about going to the dealership up the street and getting a loan for a newer vehicle
i really don't want to put anotehr dime into this headach but will if i cant get the loan
Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #33
Wannabe Dragger

I don't know if the new stuff is better, but the old stuff sucked. I don't just say that because of the gaskets it ate and whatnot, but it left deposits EVERYWHERE you could see. There were little orange pieces everywhere when I did my thermostat, inside my overflow and my radiator cap. That's the reason why I wanted mine changed.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:54 AM   #34

Quote: Originally Posted by ExtCab96S_Dime
I don't know if the new stuff is better, but the old stuff sucked. I don't just say that because of the gaskets it ate and whatnot, but it left deposits EVERYWHERE you could see. There were little orange pieces everywhere when I did my thermostat, inside my overflow and my radiator cap. That's the reason why I wanted mine changed.

word..yea mine's still pretty clean when i put in my overflow container and took out my stock plastic one it was spotless inside so im still kinda unsure about flushing it dont know if i should go through all the trouble if its still good ya know...
Old 01-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #35
Chip Chipperson

either you can do it now or what till it can(probally will)cause a problem,or just go ahead and do it.saves alot of time and money.imo.i did 2 intake gaskets last year.i just dont trust the stuff after all the problems i saw when i was working at a garage
Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #36

yea im still thinkin about it lately we will see when it gets warmer out...
Old 01-23-2009, 02:18 AM   #37
Founding member of DA

Quote: Originally Posted by blazerman
either you can do it now or what till it can(probally will)cause a problem,or just go ahead and do it.saves alot of time and money.imo.i did 2 intake gaskets last year.i just dont trust the stuff after all the problems i saw when i was working at a garage
i hardly ever see problems with it now when it first came out it was bad and people didnt know any better and were mixing green in it and obviously they wouldn't admit to doing anything wrong. keep your eye on it, just like everything else if its properly maintained it will last a long time
Old 01-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #38

yea i dont know what im gunna do...we will see i geuss
Old 01-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #39

Most shops use the universal coolant that mixes with either dexcool or the green stuff...so the whole what to use after flushing is a moot point.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #40
Horn if you're honkey.

Changed mine to green today man was it dirty and sludgy! I just pulled my heater core hose off (make sure the heat dial is on full hot)and opened the drain on my rad poured water through the hose and though the rad then reversed it until it was clear. Then I blew them out with air cleaned my overflow and filled er up. Now the heat is hotter and the engine is cooler mmmm green...
Old 01-24-2009, 12:04 AM   #41

nice so was it worth it ya think???
Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #42

changed mine over today when the intake gaskets were done, it also runs a couple degrees cooler. got to my dexcool before i had any trouble with it.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #43
LSX LUV Owner

i heard if you always keep the radiator full and overflow full up to the cold mark your good with dex cool??? i had my cap off not to long ago and it looked fine in there. i got almost 71k on my blazer.. *knocks on wood* lol
Old 01-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #44

yea mines still clean too when i swapped out my overflow for the billet one everything was still bright orange no crap in it but i just hit 47k before the winter...
Old 01-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #45
Horn if you're honkey.

Yeah I think it was worth it, I have 253,XXX kms on my truck though..
Old 01-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #46
Molon Labe

After owning my 99 for 50k miles and roughly 5 years, I have had no problems with dexcool. I have changed the fluid twice in that time and never had a problem with sludge or other deposits.

When I bought the truck it had 103k on it. It was spotless and well-maintained.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #47
A4, A5, A6, A8 ASE Cert

Go to your GM dealer and buy a bottle of GM Coolant flush its about $40 a bottle. Its a highly acidic. The instructions say you drain coolant, then refill with just water and the GM flush. run for about 40mins to an hour. then drain and refill with water only and run for about another 40mins to an hour. Drain and refill about 3 times with water then fill with new coolant and purge/burp the system until the fan comes on. I use that stuff at work and it works so well that it unclogs heater cores in tuaruses and sables every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.