Crankshaft Position Sensor Shim? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Crankshaft Position Sensor Shim?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
4X4

User is: OffLine
Crankshaft Position Sensor Shim?

Hey, I recently rebuilt my engine. I noticed one day my CKP was leaking oil from the gasket (didnt buy a new one). So I pulled it out to put on a new o ring and seen the bottom of the sensor is all cut up from rubbing, now when I was putting on my new timing cover it wasnt fitting right so I had to trim it a bit and as result it was moved up basically, so my sensor is closer now. Is there anywhere you guys know I can get a shim for my sensor so it doesnt rub? Im going to my GM dealership later this week to get the new o-ring seems the one I put in wont seal, so Ill be sure to ask them. Thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Iron LS2 coming tomorrow.

Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor Shim?

They actually have shims available from the dealership for this sensor. There is a TSB about the sensor being too close to the crankshaft. I'm not sure if it's from loose manufacturing tolerances, worn crank bearings, or what, but at higher RPM the crankshaft kinda vibrates a bit too much and slightly rubs the tip of the sensor. This causes a random misfire and usually a code is set. The kit has two shims and you're supposed to install one of them, test drive it, then install the second shim if there is still contact. I just installed both shims the first time and haven't had any problems since. It is recommended that you replace the damaged sensor and have a crankshaft relearn procedure done.

BTW, I'm not sure exactly where or how you trimmed your timing cover, but if the sensor was contacting the crankshaft before, it's probably gonna be even worse now. You may have to get two of the shim kits, depending on how.where you modified your timing cover. If I remember correctly, the kit is only about $6 USD.

Last edited by s10xtremist; 01-17-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
4X4

Ok thanks a lot, I'm not sure if It was rubbing before but its closer now. When I get to the dealer later I'll be sure to get 2 kits just in case. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #4

Thank you guys for the info. Apparently the main bearings have become worn enough to reduce the clearance when the crank wobbles at high RPM's and puts the eratic pulse signal to the tach and causes a misfire. I made a shim from a beer can and raised the problem 500RPM's. Made another from a twelve pack box and problem solved. May need srt of bearings someday. I'm sending an oil sample to lab to determine how long I can wait.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #5

A crankshaft position sensor relearn needs to be done if the crankshaft position sensor or timing cover, are moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #6

Follow thur on story. Engine ain't been worked on since new, just in service with only maybe 120,ooo miles. Mains should be good for twice that but tests will show? Sending to lab tomorow. Ol gal still running super. Thanks again for the clues!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by burned
A crankshaft position sensor relearn needs to be done if the crankshaft position sensor or timing cover, are moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way.
Also if clearance changes occur due to wear!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by teamjj1945
Also if clearance changes occur due to wear!!!!
If the relearn is not done, the engine will most likely still run, but the PCM will use the "sync" data from the last relearn, which is now incorrect.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
"factory freak"...

Although probably closer to being "correct" than it was with the trigger wheel contacting the sensor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.