"Crank" fuse - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

"Crank" fuse

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #1

"Crank" fuse

Can someone tell me exactly what the "Crank" fuse (10 AMP) controls. I have been trying to put my truck back together but it will not crank (I can hear the fuel pump prime, that's). I have ensured that it is in Park (tried Neutral as well), so don't think there is a neutral safety switch issue. But that particular fuse "Crank" is not blown, however, every other fuse is getting power either testing via the fuse itself or pulling.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: "Crank" fuse

ahh CRANK FUSE!!!, I had a problem with that sucker few mths back. In my case the fuse was blowing cuz of a wire grounding right underneath the fuse block. To help you out a bit a purple wire runs from either you clutch pedal position switch MT or park neutral switch AT up to the crank fuse, from there a yellow wire runs up to your ignition switch. Hope that helps
Old 07-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by allupinu69
ahh CRANK FUSE!!!, I had a problem with that sucker few mths back. In my case the fuse was blowing cuz of a wire grounding right underneath the fuse block. To help you out a bit a purple wire runs from either you clutch pedal position switch MT or park neutral switch AT up to the crank fuse, from there a yellow wire runs up to your ignition switch. Hope that helps
Thanks for the info....Heading out to the garage to trace the wires!

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #4

OK....I traced the purple wire from the back of the fuse box and it went to the Neutral Safety Switch.....Question, when I put a test light on that particular wire, the light is real dim and clicking sound can be heard (sounds like a relay). I am at a loss now. BTW.....I purchased a used ECM with all of the wires that go to the motor, plus the center plug in for the fuse box. My only neutral safety switch had 5 wires, the new one has 6 (black one). The ECM labels match on both.

Any suggestions?????
Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #5

bypass the neutral safety switch and crank it. elminate the switch being bad. what makes you think it has to do with the crank fuse? could be one of those security issues???

Last edited by allupinu69; 07-29-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #6

I probably should know this, but how do you bypass the Neutral Safety Switch?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #7

In addition, I keep reading where people talk about bypassing NSS. No where does it say what wires to connect for this to happen. There are two plugs that go into the NSS, one plug has 4 wires the other has 6. Anyone know which wires to connect to bypass?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:19 AM   #8

jumper wire from connector terminal "E" purple wire to connector "G" purple/white wire. Both terminals are on the 7-pin connector
Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 AM   #9

If it cranks you have a bad PNP switch if it doesnt you have an issue elsewhere. Lol also thos connectors on the PNP have some sticky glue on them so its gonna be fun to take off without breaking.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #10

OK....connected the two purple wires together (left the harness in the NSS), nothing happened. Should I remove the plug from the NSS and then connect and try to start?
Any other ideas?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
forum idiot

i had a issue back in the day with the crank fuse on my buddies 98 2.2 5 speed s10..

and his was the neutral safty switch

Last edited by orangesonoma; 07-30-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #12

connectors on the switch should be unplugged when trying to bypass. If no crank still problem is elswhere
Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
forum idiot

if i remember correct on a 98 the crank fuse supplies power to the passlock circuit..not 100% on that

nevermind im thinking of the 10amp tbs fuse..nevermind

Last edited by orangesonoma; 07-30-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by allupinu69
connectors on the switch should be unplugged when trying to bypass. If no crank still problem is elswhere
I guess the problem is elsewhere, I unplugged both connectors, connected the 2 purple wires (one with a white stripe) tried to start, again nothing.

The saga continues, anymore ideas people have let me know. I am up to any suggestions except driving it off a cliff (but that is not far behind!!!!!).

Thanks again guys!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #15

Re:no start & no power to "Crank" fuse

on a 2000 S10 v6 manual- no start with no power to crank fuse. if all else fails, test ign switch(red wire from ign switch) - if no volts, your problem may be at the bottom ign C fuse. If fuse shows good W/ volts on both sides ,but no volts to the orange wire in bottom of connector, its a bad connection. Tighten connection & vehicle will start every time. hopes this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.