cost of replacing intake manifold gaskets - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

cost of replacing intake manifold gaskets

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > 262ci Forum (4.3)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
cost of replacing intake manifold gaskets

My 2003 s-10 has over 125,000 miles and just recently it has been leaking antifreeze, I brought it into my mechanic and he says that the intake manifold gaskets are bad and need replacing. He wants to replace the thermostat while the engine is apart which is smart but his quote for the job is $350 labor and $150 parts. I AM SUPPLYING THE OIL AND FILTER AND THE ANTIFREEZE SO THAT MEANS HE IS CHARGING ME $150 FOR A THERMOSTAT AND A INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET SET. I think this is a little outrageous what do you guys think? I know I should do it myself but it is 20 degrees outside and I am limited physically. I just had all the u-joints on the drive shaft replaced, 2 cv joints and 1 joint and had the driveshaft balanced. This cost me over $400. It seems like everytime they work on my truck it is at least $400. Before this I had all the brakes replaced including the rear drums and that cost me $700. This truck better last me another 10 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Wire Splicin Fool :-)

Re: cost of replacing intake manifold gaskets

RockAuto has Felpro PermaDry Plus Intake Manifold gasket set for $59

FEL-PRO Part # MS98002T PermaDryPlus®; Set
Valve cover gskts. & valve cover grommets incl.; Upper set incl. int. manifold gskts. incl.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #3

It is a 3.5 to 4 hr job, go figure
Old 12-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
goin broke but n style

i bought my complete intake gasket kit from advance auto for 35 bucks. Fel-pro brand. It came with the gskts and all necessary rubber o-rings to the upper intake.

I did the one on my 99 blazer in about 7 hours, But i completely disasembled the intake and acid dipped it to remove all carbon and replaced all rubber seals. this was also pulling the dist about 4 times b4 getting it set back in right for the cel to go out. this was also my first set. on a cust car i think i could do it start to finish in about 3 hours.

A t-stat cost about 10 bucks from advance auto.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the info I am going to have a little talk with ACE the mechanic before he screws me at XMAS time because we all know that little Timmy needs that wooden leg.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #6

I am a mechanic, so looking at this from his perspective I would like to point out a few things...

1. Shops mark up the parts they sell you. They have to in order to stay in business and honestly they add value to them by covering the extra labor to replace them again if they are faulty. If the gaskets you bought at Advance fail Advance will not cover the labor to replace them again. A good mechanic will.

2. The shop needs to make a certain amount of money on the job for it to be worth their time to do it. If you are supplying fluids and what-not then the shop is not able to mark them up as they otherwise would. They are adding mark-up to your estimate so that your job is at least as profitable as whatever else they could be doing with that time / shop space.

3. ALL good, reputable, shops add a certain amount of "Oh Shit!" room in their estimates. If they think the job could be done for $300 they should quote you $400. If something goes wrong they have a $100 cushion to work with without having to call you and ask for more money after it's torn down. If nothing goes wrong and you get a bill for $100 less then expected you are happy.

It is also possible that your guy is a little shady. Dishonest mechanics do exist but they are not nearly as prolific as people think they are.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #7

your brakes cost you 700!!! wtf thats expensive. mine cost me like 150 with drums (done myself) and i had the shop up the road do all my brake lines for 250. so i think your mechanic is screwing you royally
Old 12-22-2010, 12:04 AM   #8

I would use the upgraded steel backed rubber intake gaskets so the job doesnt have to be done again in a while when the new plastic carrier gaskets crack and leak.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
LuCiFeRsHaL0

Well im having a similar problem minus the shady mechanic. I have a 2.2 2003 s10. When i start it up it will stay idle half the time then the other half it sputters then dies. While its running i get white steam from the exhaust and a particular kind of smell. I just replaced the thermostat and radiator but its leaking while sitting and driving. When i am driving it will only blow hot air when im pressing on the gas. When i let off or use the cruise it blows cold air. I have been driving my gfs ford f150 and i am really fn sick of driving it. Any help would be most appreciated. Oh and my brakes were like 150 took me just over an hour.

Thanks peeps

jd.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #10

Our local GM dealer wants $450 to do the job but it includes updated gaskets, oil/filter change, Change thermostat, radiator flush and fill.

I am seriously thinking about having them do it just for the simple fact that the job comes with a warranty, if it leaks again it is their problem, if a check engine light is on when they are done it is their problem, if it don't run right when done it is their problem.

Any work I have had done by them in the past has always been top notch and never had another problem as far as what they fixed. The biggest bonus is I stay nice and warm while they do it.

But on the other hand some reasons why I am thinking about doing it myself is when it comes time to scrape the old gasket off I will know it is done right and not in a hurry and don't have to worry about crap being dropped into my motor, I can also clean the throttle body, replace any thing else I see while doing the job such as PCV valve, Vacuum hoses, ect. I can thoroughly clean the intake, replace all gaskets, upper intake, valve covers, ect. I can use oil and filter of my choice, I always run Amsoil SSO 0w30 and Amsoil AEO filter.

It's a catch 22 and I am kinda torn on what to do...money is not an issue but if they drop a chunk of shit down in my motor while doing it because they are in a hurry that will be an issue.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
terrible. take a lap.

I've done it a few times. It's not all that bad. You can work at your own pace, and make sure nothing goes wrong by being in a hurry. I'd rather have peace of mind and saving some money at the same time over someone else working on it.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by LuCiFeRsHaL0
Well im having a similar problem minus the shady mechanic. I have a 2.2 2003 s10. When i start it up it will stay idle half the time then the other half it sputters then dies. While its running i get white steam from the exhaust and a particular kind of smell. I just replaced the thermostat and radiator but its leaking while sitting and driving. When i am driving it will only blow hot air when im pressing on the gas. When i let off or use the cruise it blows cold air. I have been driving my gfs ford f150 and i am really fn sick of driving it. Any help would be most appreciated. Oh and my brakes were like 150 took me just over an hour.

Thanks peeps

jd.

Dude, this is the 4.3l V6 forum.... could have a cracked head tho, or a blown HG....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.